Author Topic: Backward hitchhiker  (Read 2000 times)

Offline gibbo

• Forkglider
Backward hitchhiker
« on: October 13, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
I've been trying these for a couple of weeks now and having some success-I can roll about 10m sometimes(nowhere near riding out though).Problem is the bars almost always hit the deck and stay there.I grab the tyre but have noticed that some people grab a peg so I tried this today to see if it would make it easier to keep the bars up, but it was like learning all over again and I just kept missing the peg and dropping the entire bike.Question is should I persevere with this new technique or revert back to grabbing the tyre and trying to lock out my arm a bit more?

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
Re: Backward hitchhiker
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:25:23 PM »
well if you keep missing the peg, you can hold by the tire and then grab the peg... that seems the most logical

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 02:00:44 PM »
I still stuggle with the ride out but getting in is all right for me. I learned from grabing the tire. I watched Jim Mckay...over and over again until I figured it out. The funny thing is he grabs the Peg. I never noticed that till latter on. Something EZ taught me about holding a hitchhiker is to pull the tire down. That will inturn lift up the front and stop you from draging the bars.

Good Luck!!!

Offline gibbo

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 04:05:45 PM »
Yeah,weird but it was actually Jim McKay that I saw holding the peg in the Texas Roundup vid(battling against you,Raddad!).Thanks for the tip~I will try it later.You keep coming to my rescue with little nuggets like that(you sent me your hangfive diary movie about six months ago and it motivated me to carry on when I was starting to lose heart!)Watching you and Jim in this latest vid has inspired me again as I can see how you are progressing and I am more motivated than ever to ride now.Thanks.

Offline Kev

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
  • Did you see what I said?
    • Virtual Flatland instructor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 07:28:56 PM »
Have you looked at the Tricks Section here?

I find it easiest to to learn bw-halfhikers, then go into and get out of the hikers that way.  Much easier.

-Kev