Author Topic: Original Bike Tricks from Tim Knoll  (Read 28027 times)

Offline Sequencebmx

• Forkglider
Re: Original Bike Tricks from Tim Knoll
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »
If you truly believe you're born free then this "measure" of success is completely irrelevant. D, you sound like a washed up has been, who never was, and are still trying to justify your decisions by claiming the ones who have chosen to BE (Pro) are somehow misguided, delinquent, or otherwise social misfits. We shouldn't decide what is successful for each other provided our close proximity doesn't cause some physical, financial, or emotional harm to each other. By the way, I am certainly not homeless or a burden on society; furthermore, neither is anyone I know that rides the O.G. in Austin. The point to that is..... I guess by your standards, we are all normal and successful..... yuppidy f*cking do da.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »

Aaron, that seems a little unnecessary.  Why do you think that what I've said is based on me being washed up or bitter about what did or didn't happen with my bike riding? I'm certainly not the least bit bitter about the time I spent riding.  I like it and still ride sometimes.   It's not like I missed out on some huge Nike contract or something.  Flatland as a U.S. professional sport has been dead for years, and it's not like there was huge opportunity even when it existed.         

I don't think I've ever met many of the Austin guys, from what you say they obviously they don't fit what I was talking about earlier in the thread, so no one should think I'm talking about them. 

I can tell you though that I've seen so many crushingly sad stories involving riders my age continually making decisions either directly or indirectly related to the "flatland lifestyle" that screw up their lives.  It upsets me so badly I don't even want to ride sometimes, because it makes me see this fun, positive thing as an incredibly negative thing.  It's not everyone, but it's a big enough percentage of people I've known to be a concern, especially as we get on towards middle age.  Maybe it's not bike riding specifically, but the people drawn to bike riding, I don't know. 

You're right though, if someone is happy to only do time machines over and over again straight on into their 60's, not bothering anyone else, but at the expense of all other areas of their entire lives, then whatever, good for them.  They're adults, they can make their own decisions.  But most reasonable people wouldn't think that's a great decision though, and it's hard to sit here and smile and nod and act like it is.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:48:13 PM by D »

Offline Sequencebmx

• Forkglider
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »
I was a bit harsh but I find it hard to believe you could possibly know all these flatlanders that screwed their lives up because of flatland. You might as well lump every sport into your theory. How many Baseball, Basketball or Football players can you name that have f*cked their lives up? I bet I can name more from each of those sports while understanding the number of professional athletes from each and breaking it down into a percentage proving that this is bogus when compared to the rest of athletics. Even still, did they really f*ck up or is this your perception of how WE should live life?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
I can't even think of a rider who f*cked up their life to ride flatland. You should name names D because I have no idea who you are referring to.