Author Topic: Seat Level?  (Read 4230 times)

Offline joestoys

• http://p088.ezboard.com/bonesixthsingsterwarrior16561
Seat Level?
« on: December 25, 2005, 03:55:09 PM »
what the seat level to place at now?
cos 10 years ago- the seat goes way low like 2-4" from the seat clamp.... ( the seat titing up

but Now the seat goes as high as 8-10" from seat clamp....

is that a trend or is there some reasons/ function to it?

anyone can advise? thanks :blink:  
"Ai Pee, Ai Chee, Ai Tee, Koh Ai Tao Lup Nee" it's the way !!
JOESTOYS

Offline cmx

• Forkglider
Seat Level?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 05:35:09 PM »
yo joe!

happy holiday to you, fellow unique rider  B)

my seat is set so when the bars are at 90 degrees to the frame i can hold the seat and the grip at the same time...trackstand hangover maybe, but i also have to ride to my spot sometimes and i don't have iron quad muscles...my seat is tilted up to make hang 5ives/ wheelies (!?) and steamrollers easier, but that crazy 45 eg. angle you see some riders run is perhaps more fashion than function.
Cory Fester still runs that (relatively) low seat height, so maybe it is all about individual preference...
bu the way i've been running my seatpost about 1.5 inches past the maximum recommended for a year, no problem. Someone once told me that provided you have 1.5 inch of post in the seat tube it should be okay (but don't quote me ;o)

Offline joestoys

• http://p088.ezboard.com/bonesixthsingsterwarrior16561
Seat Level?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 05:56:45 PM »
yo joe!

happy holiday to you, fellow unique rider  B)

my seat is set so when the bars are at 90 degrees to the frame i can hold the seat and the grip at the same time...trackstand hangover maybe, but i also have to ride to my spot sometimes and i don't have iron quad muscles...my seat is tilted up to make hang 5ives/ wheelies (!?) and steamrollers easier, but that crazy 45 eg. angle you see some riders run is perhaps more fashion than function.
Cory Fester still runs that (relatively) low seat height, so maybe it is all about individual preference...
bu the way i've been running my seatpost about 1.5 inches past the maximum recommended for a year, no problem. Someone once told me that provided you have 1.5 inch of post in the seat tube it should be okay (but don't quote me ;o)
 ;) thanks CMX. happy holidays! yes, i still find unique looks short and sharp- cute too. too bad they discon it.

yes i notice there's a recommended maximum seat post height making on the pole.

I guess i have to try the different height out- if too low - dam hard to pedal..... if too high - dam the handle bar end hit my knees.... <_<  
"Ai Pee, Ai Chee, Ai Tee, Koh Ai Tao Lup Nee" it's the way !!
JOESTOYS

Offline Bivol

• Funky Chicken
  • April Fool
    • http://www.how2flat.ru
Seat Level?
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 10:16:15 PM »
I don't know the height, but I place it so that the end of seat is on almost on the same level as my bar, when turned... but height in inches strongly depends on the height of frame you're riding on...

Offline Cheveulux

• Forkglider
Seat Level?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 11:52:12 PM »
a high seat setting seems to make lots of tricks easier, but personnaly i think that the trick looks ugly then.
Look at some crazy low setting like pete Brand's, it is important in his style, iam sure his riding wouldn't be as awesome with a hi seat level.

So I set my seat quite low, and the only reason not to set it lower is that if i did I wouldn't be able to do a cliffhanger ( my seat would be to close to the rear tire)
roots are underground fellas

Offline routrax

Seat Level?
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 02:27:10 PM »
a high seat setting seems to make lots of tricks easier, but personnaly i think that the trick looks ugly then.
Look at some crazy low setting like pete Brand's, it is important in his style, iam sure his riding wouldn't be as awesome with a hi seat level.
Tricks look ugly with a high seat?

Are you joking?

How about short cranks or lower bars, do they make tricks look pretty?

Routrax

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
Seat Level?
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 03:36:58 PM »
Well, I usually use mine at the bars height. I got used to a certain level when doing Hang5 stuff so, I say, you pick one height and keep it that way couse you'll get so used to it that when you change it everything that needs the seat will feel differently.

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
Seat Level?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 07:20:40 PM »
i put mine few inches above the seat clamp, cause i do only backwheel tricks so theres a lot of space when the bike is upsidedown.
Meditate Flatland

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Seat Level?
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 04:39:00 AM »
I also keep my seat so that its about the same height as my bars when they are turned sideways.
I think alot of newer frames have much lower TT (lower where the TT meets the seat tube like the pyschopower and such) so it appears that the seat is higher than it actually is. I believe this make its seem like having a high seat is a new trend.

mutt

Seat Level?
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 06:15:39 AM »
heya big hair richard
yeah and your seat high
us nor-cal flat riders like our seats low
for the most part and it is how we ride
your just an throw back to the 70s richard
like your big hair--mr affro
lol

heya give me a call big hair
nor-cal huh richard
lates

Offline Cheveulux

• Forkglider
Seat Level?
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 07:57:49 PM »
Are you joking?
No I'm not.

It doesn't "make tricks ugly" but it seems to me that the more the seat is high the less some tricks are harmonious, maybee because with a lower seat you are closer to the bike while doing steam roller and stuff.

Its not logic, its just a feeling I have as I watch different ridings with different settings

peace
roots are underground fellas

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Seat Level?
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 07:50:42 PM »
The discussion about mutt was be separated from this topic. You can find it here:

http://www.global-flat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=585
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 07:51:27 PM by martin »

mutt

Seat Level?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 02:43:50 AM »
thanks martin
that needed to be done
sorry about byke
he is one of those people who are annoying

heya so who rides an unique other than me
i have an aqua blue unique
and by the way i love the khe pro seat