Author Topic: Do plegs have any real advantages?  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Isop

• Forkglider
    • Portfolio
Do plegs have any real advantages?
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
I'm casually looking to snag a set of plegs. Aside from the slight weight savings, are there any other real world advantages? Would I be correct in assuming that they can dissipate the "shock" on components when bailed / dropped? In the long run, would you be better off with just a solid pair of aluminum or is replacing sleeves more cost effective? I really have no need to switch things up other than to simply try them out. Just curious about peoples experiences with the various brands - khe, g sport, colony etc.

TIA
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:06:48 AM by Isop »
"This fight brought to you by Xyience, extreme lawsuits for extreme corporate failures."

"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike!!"

"Vitor Belforts BJJ is like the nucleus of an atom, people say it exists but, no ones actually seen it."

"For we walk by faith, not by sight."

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Do plegs have any real advantages?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
nope... most are terrible in use, stick to alloys; if you wanna save weight (100g at most), use shorten pegs like the stm's

Offline Mr.Archon

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »
is replacing a cracked frame more cost effective than replacing sleeves?

Offline Isop

• Forkglider
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »
is replacing a cracked frame more cost effective than replacing sleeves?

That's what I'm curious about; it seems to me that the only real advantage to a pleg is energy dissipation away from the components, with weight simply being a by product; but i'm not even sure if it's a serious issue - never really studied energy characteristics, haha. I have a hard time believing that bails to the pegs would "crack a frame," but it seems logical to me that over time there could be "shock wear" across the bike; again, i'm not even sure how much of an issue that would be in real world riding.

... most are terrible in use....

In what ways? Overall wear rate, slippage?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:04:26 AM by Isop »
"This fight brought to you by Xyience, extreme lawsuits for extreme corporate failures."

"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike!!"

"Vitor Belforts BJJ is like the nucleus of an atom, people say it exists but, no ones actually seen it."

"For we walk by faith, not by sight."

Offline Mr.Archon

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:13:47 AM »
it happens ALL the time. bails from hang 5 ,crackpacker, hitchhikers where the back peg are the same thing as slamming a hammer to your frame. think about it. try it for your self and see your frame will probably crack around the seat post bridge

Offline Stalfos

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »
I've been using Gsport plegs for about two years now and I run them on both my completes. I guess the main reason why I like them is because they're easier to maintain than metal pegs. One of the rear pegs usually takes most of the damage, and this became evident when I started learning tricks like hitch hikers and hang fives. The one peg that took damage most would get smushed in and close up, so much that I couldn't fit a socket to remove the wheel. It was hard to fix that with metal pegs, but with plegs I can just take a file or a dremel and carve the smushed plastic.

As for longetivity, my first set of plegs are still going strong since I first got them about two years ago. Only one of the sleeves in that set that needs to be replaced. It has lost about one fourth of its length because it takes most of the impact when bailing.

I don't care much for the weight savings, I hardly pay attention to the weight of parts. I've gotten a few comments on whether they have any grip without griptape/knurling as well, but I haven't had any issues with that either. They're also quiet if I bail, just a thud haha. I guess its all just personal preference, but if you're looking to try something new I'd recommend them.
Anybody who comes into the forest will be lost.
 Everybody will become a Stalfos. Everybody, Stalfos.

Offline Midou Ban

• Hitchhiker
  • True style never shouts -> FLATLAND
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »
IMO having plastic pegs, barends and pedals will extend the life of a bike..because most of the time these parts are  prone in contact to the ground when falling and plastic tend to absorb shock that can cause  tear on welds/joints of the frame.....

also we cant always catch our bike when falling  O0

sorry for my bad english ^_^
"Great power comes with a great electric bill"

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
i guess how you ride influences the parts you use and the life if the frame - i'm a "careful" rider, i catch my bike when i bail, ride at spots with fairly smooth surfaces; therefore i find alloys better.

the knurling on plastic pegs wear off faster than most alloys, including magnesium, making deadly slippery (as most plastic have "oily" characteristic);
the polycarbonates types have a tendacy to shatter into sharp, shank-like bits, and depending on your luck...you know the results;
in regards to smush-in ends on alloys, dremal do sell stone grinding bits for alloys too, it's a question of maintainace on a regular basis before the alloy ends get too rounded and closes-in on itself;
pegs, alloy, steel or plastic are dime-a-dozen in my country, good 26tpi chromoly or titanium axles are rarer than diamonds, i feel the constant need to retighening that you have to do when using plastic pegs after a hard sideway slam or to keep chain tight are counter-productive and thread-killer.

Offline JoeyBuksar

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »
Whatever happened to the plegs with the aluminum or steel( I forget) end caps?  Anyone remember seeing those?

Offline Mr.Archon

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »
Whatever happened to the plegs with the aluminum or steel( I forget) end caps?  Anyone remember seeing those?
never put in production