Author Topic: Is Flatland Fuel Hurting ?  (Read 20712 times)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Re: Is Flatland Fuel Hurting ?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »
I would probably guess FF is doing okay, or at least as good as they always have.  Flatland's not ever been that popular, but it is good that Pat has kind of cornered the market here in the US. 

There's less stock because there is less flatland stuff being made really.   

And let's squash the myth that more people are using "street" parts and frames.  Most people are just using flatland parts and frames that just LOOK LIKE street/ramp/park bikes.  You'd be hard pressed to find a pro out there running actual street parts other than Matthias. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline twotires

• Forkglider
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
i like to think of this whole originality of set ups like this.

originality comes from brake set up/peg set up/tricks if you think originality comes from the bike/the proposed function of your original design then i don't care you are changing what a bike is to fit your riding instead of trying to ride a bike.

the comment about the race bike is obsurd because if you tried to ride anything with carbon forks or a 14.5 inch back end you would hate your life. that said i know trails riders who love 14.5 inch back ends 73 degree head tubes and 21-22 inch top tube. this makes sense for their riding but they aren't really making a whole new bike with stupid tubes that cost more to produce.

whether it is a trend or not, straight tubes are more logical cost effective and stronger dollar for value. this makes me think that straight tubed street/shortstreet frames are going to be the best bet for flatland for me. i see no need in bends because if tubes are getting in the way improve your technique.

i would really love flatland to take off AGAIN in north America, in order for this to happen trends need to blow up!

it would really help too if flatland internet coverage wasn't so web.0  i would really like to see top notch flatland coverage in canada and the states just like the flatweb tv guys are doing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:33:32 PM by twotires »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 01:20:44 AM »
Guys, this thread is really silly.

Just think about how much new trendy stuff Pat has sold: all the 2 pc bars, straight frames people bought who didn't necessarily need them.

To each his own. If you want to run certain parts then sweet. You might ride worse at the next comp or gain that extra edge to kick everyone's ass!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline flatnatics

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 02:03:48 AM »
I think the topic has changed direction from pats product movement to what is perceived in the availability of parts and the direction parts are heading. Flatland is doable in a regular style frame but aesthetics is also very important. I'm currently riding a g9 which as you should know has straight tubes. It's still a clearance style bike that is still reasonably short and light. Some ppl want a light bike and are willing to accept that it probably will break quicker. If you can't afford this then there are alternatives to this. Frames needing warranties can also be a burden to companies wanting to push limits if design vs weight vs strength all need to be accommodated.
I still want a tiny front sprocket and long seat post as it makes things more comfortable. I drive to my spot as many older riders probably do so I can get away with this.
No Worries...

Offline DRIFT ROADSTER

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »
yeah, i got what i wanted from this thread a while back. My question should have been "what happened to all the flatland companys that Pat used to sell" rather than "Is Flatland Fuel hurting".

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »
I just saw this thread so I am sorry I did not reply earlier. To answer the questions of some, our selection is a little less than it was a couple of years ago and even less so than it was 4-5 years ago. There are a few reasons for this. First of all the economy just isnt what it was prior to the fall of 2008. Before that everyone spent a lot more money. Even those people that are doing as well now as they did before the recession just dont spend money like they used to. So fewer customers means fewer manufacturers. Secondly, manufacturers kind of flooded the flatland market in years past with too much product. We are seeing a shake out from that now. Some good closeouts are out there and we have passed that savings on to our customers. Lastly, a few big manufacturers are either gone from the flatland market or have shrunk their offerings. Colony ended their flatland program. Fly sold Suelo to their Japanese distro and they have not really got it going again 100% yet. KHE has TERRIBLE distribution problems in the USA so we are missing a lot of their product.

There is an upside to all of this though. The product that is on the market now is just about the best stuff we have ever saw. The "shake out" I mentioned above has left the best companies standing strong. We will soon have Ares products back in the USA. New product from Autum this summer. Both Martti and Viki are working on some great new parts and frames. Profile just released a new flatland specific crank. Freecoasters are improving. The future for flatland products looks good and Flatlandfuel is doing just fine thanks to all of you. I can not express how much I appreciate the support of all of you.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »
Pat always pops up speaking the truth! In prepping for a big contest I am putting on this summer, I have been in touch with nearly every bike company remotely associated with flatland. There are tons of people in all positions within the BMX industry that are psyched on flatland and envision a bright future for it! There are also a few companies that have no clue what they are doing... This whole thread got a little off track but all is well from here dudes!   Pat is a class act!!

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »
Flatland has always been looked down upon and always will be.

This just simply isn't true. While many may look down on it (either out of ignorance or jealousy), most others I have known greatly respect it. This is especially true more recently with the street/park riders trying to learn flat tricks and after several years they still can't do them. Also, there are several flat riders than can ride street better than the street riders -- and they know it.

Anyway, does anyone know when the Ares tires will be in stock at Flatland Fuel?

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2013, 02:05:58 AM »
I am so excited about the Ares stuff Pat...wanna try out those tires!!!!!
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2013, 02:27:32 AM »
Flatland has always been looked down upon and always will be.

This just simply isn't true. While many may look down on it (either out of ignorance or jealousy), most others I have known greatly respect it. This is especially true more recently with the street/park riders trying to learn flat tricks and after several years they still can't do them. Also, there are several flat riders than can ride street better than the street riders -- and they know it.

Anyway, does anyone know when the Ares tires will be in stock at Flatland Fuel?

100% agree! 

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 04:16:20 AM »
Why not do a "Coming soon" on here and your Website? it might ramp up the Jawn!

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
We don't really need 200 manufacturers anyway.  Odyssey, Profile, Primo, HB, S&M, Quamen, and Tree seem to have it covered as far as I can tell.  There stuff does what it's supposed to.   

When will Nankai, or whatever Nankai turned into, get going again? 

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 12:58:06 AM »
D, NYB is the new Nankai. They are really slow to get going and have not even yet come close to filling the backorders from their Japanese shops. I will have 20 of their hubs in a few weeks but it will probably take until next year before supply catches up with demand.

Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline mpower

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 04:28:27 AM »
Is Nankai hub still made in Japan?

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 04:31:23 AM »
Nankai was made in Japan until they closed. NYB is the new Nankai and they are still made in Japan.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com