Author Topic: KHE Greyhound Front Hub Squeaks  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
KHE Greyhound Front Hub Squeaks
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
I have a recently purchased KHE Greyhound front hub.  I have noticed that when I do switch-handed steamrollers with my bars backwards, the hub makes an awful squeaking sound.  When I do the same trick with the bars forward, it is silent.  Has anyone else experienced this with your front hub?  Should I take it apart and re-grease the bearings?  I've noticed that my front wheel is starting to roll slightly slower.

The switch handed steam is the only trick that it squeaks on.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: KHE Greyhound Front Hub Squeaks
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
I have not had this problem, but it seems like it is caused by only one of the bearings. The one which experiences more pressure when doing the steam with reverse bars. I would expect it to be the one more far away from your foot.
But anyway, I would try to open the hub and regrease everything. I don't think there is much more you can do.
I have not tried a female axle yet, but I could imagine that especially with aluminium inner axles, the forces applied to the bearings are a little higher (at least compared to 14 mm axles). But on the other hand so many people are using them... The axle diameter is bigger in the center and it should not flex so much.
Please update if you find a solution.

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to open it up and re-grease everything tonight.  I'll post an update later.

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »
I had this hub and after about 4 months it basically stopped spinning when i fit the pegs hand tight twas all fine but as soon as i tightened it with the wrench it doesn't spin anymore so i ditched it and am going back to the original giesha front hub

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »
I did try re-greasing the bearings before i got rid of it

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:29:16 AM »
Melon Lover, you are exactly right.  It spins fine until you actually tighten it down.  I have had mine for about 4 months as well and it has started acting up.  Damn.  I hate wasting my hard earned money on a product that doesn't work.  I love my KHE Geisha Light Freecoaster on the back, but this KHE Greyhound front hub is starting to upset me.  I am going to try and tinker with it a little while longer before I give up on it.  Just out of curiosity, which front hub did you switch to and how has it held up?  Looks like I might be in the market for a new one soon!

Phatman

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:31:37 AM »
It could be that the collars arent the right size to space the hub out properly. If you've got nothing to loose i would suggest filing the outside of the collar down abit. If the collar is just a smidge to wide when you tighten the bolts down the collars will squash the bearings & create the tightness you guys are describing.

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:07 AM »
Why is it that with flatland you pretty much have to modify EVERY part to get it to work right?!?  Uggghhh!!!!!

Phatman

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
Unfortunately, i myself think its because Flatland is such a small genre of BMX, the money & time just isnt spent making things properly the way they should be 1st time round. A few companies have not admitted to it but have issued V.2s & so on of parts to get them to work the way they shouldve the 1st time round. Of course there are quite a few companies that do, do it right the 1st time round so i cant talk sh*t on every company but as you said its annoying, want to try a new part, then have to worry about if it will work out of the box or will have to be tinkered with. Not fantastic!

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
i have a hub that does that. i loosen the collars and make them hand tight then tighten each pegs in increments back and forth

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »
I got the original giesha front hub (non female)

My first choice was the demolition front hub but it has a low flange and  i have Ti spokes so i didn't want to change them My son has a demolition front and that thing rolls 2-3 times longer than any other hub that i own

Pure Gold

Phatman

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »
^ I know that feeling, Ive got G-Sport hubs on my street/hybrid bike & my mate has a really old Vandero 1 hub with tiny bearings & a male axle, That thing spins for days. Im guessing its because i run duel hub guards on the Marmy & he has none on the Vandero.

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »
I've got profiles on my race bike and crupi's on my little mans race bike and the demolition is less than half the price of both and spins nearly 3x longer than the profile and 2x longer than crupi

The proper hubs are the same spin for ages

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:21:01 AM »
yeah, old proper male hubs are one of the longest spinning hubs out there, along with hoffman/gack girthy hubs.
i suspect the alloy cones on the greyhound must have warp a little, and as it's held in place only by rubber "o" rings, whenever we tighten the wheel down and load it sideways, the cones and bearings bind together.
the takino bearings that comes orginal with the hubs aren't exactly the best either - i felt a rough spot whenever i rotate the axle by hand; i would probly swapped out to SDS bearing once the bearings start to bind.

profile make cones with steel inserts for their female hubs that i think would prevent this issue, but it's an rather expensive optional upgrade item.     

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ You said it Kelvin it's male hubs for me from now on

Throughout history females have always been high Maintinance  ;D