Author Topic: KGB Brake System Reloaded  (Read 12308 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
KGB Brake System Reloaded
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »

Here it is, just in time for xmas, the resurrection of the KGB Space II Fork brake system! It's actually a modified version since the whole brake moved into the fork leaving it with 2 rather big holes. We're not quite sure how strong the fork is but for sure it's interesting idea and looks amazingly clean when its built up. Instagram user jeytse posted the photos and confirmed that the brake is working. We already saw quite a few comments when we posted a photo of the fork on our Facebook page earlier today. Join the discussion if you like or leave us a comment in the forum. And stay tuned for further information!

byke

Re: KGB Brake System Reloaded
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 01:14:52 AM »
Interested in the specs on these.

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »
adjusting the brake pads looks like a bastard
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Voodstoc

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:41:56 AM »
Good point about the brake shoes.  I have a Space 2 fork and it could work well with a few small mods.  I think the KGB design is better, but was poorly made, though this design is very clean.  Compromising the fork leg seems like a bad idea.

Anybody remember the Haro fork stands which folded up on the fork, pivoting through a hole in the fork? I was thinking about a brake similar to that, using a brass pivot wheel to bend the cable 90 degrees, instead of angling the cable stop as the Space 2 does.
Does that make sense?

Offline maksymilian

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:23:58 AM »
its my friends company prototype fork. Fareast cycles from China, Nanying.

Offline Keneken

• Backpacker
  • im on iron mans back! ,-
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »
adjusting the brake pads looks like a bastard

Wouldnt ghost pads make it easier?
''let me tell ya something i did a front n rear wheel hang on the cloping on the slide of the spine, now i stick to street!''

''do you freestyle?''

However serious you take it general public sees us as just dicking about on 'kids' bikes, some people could do to remember that and smile a little.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »
Really nice, about time.  B)

byke

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
I personally am more impressed with the ability to manufacture such a complex 3d style tube for the fork more than anything. More so than the actual design itself.

I know another person had mentioned a similar design, and yes its a step in the right direction.
But as Jon pointed out in regards to the brake pads, this design is simply a step rather than a jump in terms of design.

If we look at the brake itself, its a reverse canti style brake in principle.
And the reason for this design to begin with was to remove brake clutter from the top of the fork near the outer radius of the tire (clearance) - But the price for this clearance was brake performance as Canti brakes work and feel in a way that is often described as less attractive than 990 style brakes due to their feathering abilities (or lack of).

So what has this new design achieved ?
Well from a manufacturing point of view its fairly impressive.
And from an aesthetics point of view its very clean.

But is there a greater amount of space now achieved ?
Not really as much of the brake was out of the way to begin with.
And issues like performance, multiple cables, cable clutter, cable angles, pad alignment, locknut excess overhang etc ... All make for different issues - basically just as many issues as before, but juggled into a new set of packaging to hide the old issues.

Malo (PIR) has in the past made forks with 990 brakes locked in, in the same style.
But again, it has removed some issues and created others.
I too have thought about the issue, and have had a few ideas.

Personally I would have liked to have seen a rim/fork/brake combo design.
firstly, I would have liked to seen a rim featuring a 45 degree dome angle.
So rather than a flat side brakewall, a 45 degree angled brakewall .... with spoke holes in the centre of the rim.
The designing a fork leg and brake to fit nicely into that space would be a lot easier, cleaner and hopefully function better. as the brake would grab the underside of the rim.

byke

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
I would like to add, that one of the best designs has already been done but lost in time.
Weinmann (brake manufacturer) made an amazing brake in the early 90's that would have allowed for hidden fork brakes that look to function really well. But they went tits up and the possability to replicate of manufacture the old brake would be really tough as it requires a fair amount of tooling.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
I personally don't see this working out very well for the reasons Byke mentioned.  Although a great concept(I "kick" my brake when scuffing all to often), I was thinking more along the lines on refining drum brakes...built into the hub.  Drum brakes are nothing new...but they were heavy and cumbersome in the 80's(when I first saw them) from my understanding.  Byke...what's your take on Drum Brakes?  Could the design by refined and made useful?
"A puppet no more!"

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
It's certainly an interesting design but it seems still be a little to complex.

I have often thought of a magura hydraulic system would work much better as they are really compact.
You could then have a hydraulic to mechanical converter in the steerer-tube/ top-cap so you could run any traditional brake lever..

Offline indyBarber73

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
Ive been running the old space II set up for a long time,it works great with the suelo springs and the fly brake shoes,have had know issues at all,my only bitch is the short ass steer tube,but P.I.R is handling that for me with a custom set of my own, this new design looks amazing but i dont see it being very strong. big ups to Viki and kgb for the concept,i love mine!!!! and prob will never run a u brake again!

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
Ive been running the old space II set up for a long time,it works great with the suelo springs and the fly brake shoes,have had know issues at all,my only bitch is the short ass steer tube,but P.I.R is handling that for me with a custom set of my own, this new design looks amazing but i dont see it being very strong. big ups to Viki and kgb for the concept,i love mine!!!! and prob will never run a u brake again!

ya know...you are the 1st person i thought of when i seen this, and glad you could express some reliable feedback on a part you have been riding for some time to help other riders . =)

byke

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
I personally don't see this working out very well for the reasons Byke mentioned.  Although a great concept(I "kick" my brake when scuffing all to often), I was thinking more along the lines on refining drum brakes...built into the hub.  Drum brakes are nothing new...but they were heavy and cumbersome in the 80's(when I first saw them) from my understanding.  Byke...what's your take on Drum Brakes?  Could the design by refined and made useful?

Not a big fan of drum brakes to be honest as they wear in a way I find annoying.
But also add extra parts rather than subtract parts.

Weinmann did this brake which could have been amazing for flat if it was still in production.

Offline maksymilian

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
Its made by big bicycle factory from nanying, its not garage brand. So dont care about quality, its not chimera or pir. Some of owners or managers are bmx riders so they made small brand called FEC, im not sure if Dub is still ridding FEC frame but before he did. that factory is  similar to the one in Taiwan, so they can made some crazy prototype parts by professional machines, they already made some new freecoasters. but the owner of FEC he doesnt want to made his company bigger and sell parts worldwide, he is doing it just for friends in china. Maybe after he will see news on global flat and people talking about his fork he will change.