Author Topic: new whip!  (Read 5428 times)

Offline twotires

• Forkglider
new whip!
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »
after 8 years of riding parks and street i have hung up that bmx bike and moved into flatland. here is my khe a-damn st 2012 with a few hop ups! new stem chain and break kit! the next step is a new seat/post and some bars. All home brewers be jealous of my epic 750ml/1L fliptop collection!

Offline twotires

• Forkglider
Re: new whip!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:36:40 AM »
also does anyone know what bar height should be like? the forks have all sorts of spacers on them under the stem but i would like to understand the relationship between bar height and front wheel balance as well as how high my bars should be? (on average i know it is personal preference)

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:08:33 AM »
Dope ride! Bar height looks spot on.
Leave the spacers under the stem--one less thing protruding out and it gives more leverage.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:13:22 PM »
The height of the bar also depends on how tall you are and what kind of tricks you want to do. Nowadays even small riders frequently use 8" bars, but this also a trend. The taller guys often use 8,5" or 9". I would suggest to put some of the spacers on the top of the stem (without cutting the steerer tube of course!) so you can find out how a lower handlebar will feel like. I personally think that 1 cm can really make a difference. If you find out the the highest option you can have with your parts feels the best, then you can think about a new handlebar to have it even higher.
Just try it out!

Offline eric5key

• Locksmith Miami Beach
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »
Great blog and I also really adore all its posts. I will certainly be book marking these pages and also discussing it once more soon and one more thing Exactly what web sites and also forums perform the surfing neighborhood communicate most about? I am trying to discover just as much concerning the on the internet surfing neighborhood while I can easily. May any person recommend a common forums, face book deals with, or web sites that you simply find very indepth? Those are usually most favored? Thanks!.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »
are those khe a-blast bars? how are they? i wanted to get them but was put off by their light weight (550g i think...)

this is from a guy who broke his bars and escaped impaling his cheek by mere centimeters.
which cheek i will leave it to open speculation... lol

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »
Hi K.Wong,
I won't speculate about your cheek ;D but have a look here:

http://www.khebikes.com/2013/a-blast-bar-p-1582.html

They are about 860 g which sounds realistic...

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
yeah, you are right about the weight - 860g-ish; my bad  :P

:beer: is on me...

Offline twotires

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:22:58 PM »
im pretty new so i know almost nothing about whats good and isn't, the bars seem to flex a ton and im going to upgrade to some jungle rider mk ultras soon i think for a stiffer ride. these bars also suck because the knurled part is too short for the stem i am running so the bends start as the bars leave the stem and make them a bitch to move around. new bars are a must on this whip.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
im pretty new so i know almost nothing about whats good and isn't, the bars seem to flex a ton and im going to upgrade to some jungle rider mk ultras soon i think for a stiffer ride. these bars also suck because the knurled part is too short for the stem i am running so the bends start as the bars leave the stem and make them a bitch to move around. new bars are a must on this whip.

could be the wide elementary stem.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Vic Román

• Cliffhanger
  • RaD!
    • Gorilla Photo Media
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:15 AM »
Nice ride!

*Big bars good choice (not a trend ) but coming from other BMX disciplines you already knew that.

*The bars flex because most 2 piece flatland bars are meant to be light and they assume your not gonna do a  10 stair drop with them.

*For now don’t worry about your parts and concentrate on your riding.When you develop your style you will eventually change it up to your liking ,just like you did with you street/park ride.

*Have fun!

"This ain't segregation this is freestyle folks". - Ruben Castillo

Offline Bone

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
this is one sweet set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline twotires

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
Nice ride!

*Big bars good choice (not a trend ) but coming from other BMX disciplines you already knew that.

*The bars flex because most 2 piece flatland bars are meant to be light and they assume your not gonna do a  10 stair drop with them.

*For now don’t worry about your parts and concentrate on your riding.When you develop your style you will eventually change it up to your liking ,just like you did with you street/park ride.

*Have fun!

i am trying to try and get my set up perfect as im pretty experienced with the "feel" of bikes, riding every day and changing cheap stuff to figure out what works well for my style. i have been messing around with spacers above and fork risers to get a feel of what does what with this type of riding!

as for bars having friends that ride street is wicked because i can just snag up a few of their sets cheap and feel what works best! flatland seems less expensive than street!