Author Topic: New to the forum, looking for complete advice.  (Read 4949 times)

Offline twotires

• Forkglider
New to the forum, looking for complete advice.
« on: August 13, 2012, 02:33:14 AM »
Hi guys, i have ridden street and park for 8 years and want to ride flat. through the years i have slowly gone from a 21 inch tt frame to a 20.4 with a 13 inch back end and am gonna make the leap to a real flat complete in the next few weeks.

i am looking at 2 completes right now, the colony apprentice and the St. Martin Darwin. Both completes have single wall rims, is this a big deal? otherwise what do you think of these two completes? they seem spec'ed with probably identical joytech catalogue parts out of taiwan.

I am a light guy, 145lbs and 5 foot 6. i already have whiplashes, some peg manual variations and whoppers.

Do you guys have any suggestions on which is better or if there is anything else i should look at? i have been told to not get a khe but i might be able to get a really good deal on 2010/2011 clearance.

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
Re: New to the forum, looking for complete advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:29:25 AM »
either bikes are ok. If you can do whoppers you will find the rims to be weakish but if you been riding for 8 years I'm sure you will keep an eye on them and if need be when they do die gets some more stronger rims and keep the hubs.

What KHE bikes are you looking at? I would not go for KHE but if its a deal should be ok and save the money to go towards a frame later on.
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »
This is great news! I also rode street for 8 years until I got the DK flatland complete. That was almost 5 years ago and I haven't looked back. Welcome!!!!!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »
i recomend u to change a frame and casette so there will still be familiar feeling on the bike. i would go with strongest frames on the market (autum razzia, flatware tango, s&m intrikat) and one of the 14mm freecoasters.

Offline eva5key

• San Francisco Locksmith
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »
Adore your site and all sorts of articles. Related it to be able to my FB page! Great motivation for in which Now i'm from with my enhancing. and one more thing Now i' m looking for forums which have really great information on what's in fashion as well as what are the best cosmetics is actually.

Offline ckcheong

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
actually freecoaster is not necessary...
if i were you with limited budget, go for a better frame, like 19" TT
than you can upgrade the fork=>hub

Offline twotires

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:33:50 PM »
i am not looking to convert my, i want a whole new one. the khe im looking at is the A-damn st 2012. i really like the a-damn, its got geometry i like and double wall rims.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 03:13:06 AM »
i am not looking to convert my, i want a whole new one. the khe im looking at is the A-damn st 2012. i really like the a-damn, its got geometry i like and double wall rims.

Hell yeah you'll be stoked to learn on a new ride

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:05 AM »
A dam for sure ! ! ! I was scared you were going to say some old sh*tty beer can headset frame.

yeah get the KHE it will be a good starter

"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
I've owned a KHE A-Damn ST 2012 for about 4 months or so. I'm not so keen on the frame size (I'm also a small guy and 20" feels a tad too big, but you'll be used to that I suppose; the ST was my first ever BMX) but other than that, it is an awesome ride.

I had a few issues with the freecoaster (something to do with an incorrect part from KHE's manufacturer) which means that it sometimes 'acts' as a cassette depending on what mood it's in, but I've been focusing on front end tricks lately so it's not been an issue yet. I'm hoping I've just been unlucky and this hasn't affected every ST, and the standard is so cheap you would probably look to replace it anyway.

I like running a front brake and the Watanabe seat is obviously a plus. The only modifications I've made are thin S&M logo grips and a red brake cable purely for cosmetic reasons. Until I build my new complete, I have no intentions of adding anything, that's how happy I am with it.

Whatever you choose, welcome to the world of flatland, you won't look back.
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »
I've owned a KHE A-Damn ST 2012 for about 4 months or so. I'm not so keen on the frame size (I'm also a small guy and 20" feels a tad too big, but you'll be used to that I suppose; the ST was my first ever BMX) but other than that, it is an awesome ride.

I had a few issues with the freecoaster (something to do with an incorrect part from KHE's manufacturer) which means that it sometimes 'acts' as a cassette depending on what mood it's in, but I've been focusing on front end tricks lately so it's not been an issue yet. I'm hoping I've just been unlucky and this hasn't affected every ST, and the standard is so cheap you would probably look to replace it anyway.

I like running a front brake and the Watanabe seat is obviously a plus. The only modifications I've made are thin S&M logo grips and a red brake cable purely for cosmetic reasons. Until I build my new complete, I have no intentions of adding anything, that's how happy I am with it.

Whatever you choose, welcome to the world of flatland, you won't look back.

Great advice and review, but are you sure it's a 20" top tube? FF has 19.25" listed. And yes, the Taska freecoaster will be the one weak area of this bike, but suitable for most to learn on!

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 01:26:05 AM »
I stand corrected dude - 19.25" is right, no idea where I picked 20" from!
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"