Author Topic: back to simplicity  (Read 5495 times)

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
back to simplicity
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »
it's probably only the expression of my personal tastes in riding, and it probably does not apply to every one here but...i think that flatland has become overly complex, i mean under the very subjective angle of aesthetics.

Flatland links beeing too complex is attractive to some people, but for me it is just getting too much, i miss the clearness and the simplicity of such riders as James white.

Also links have become too long, this is why i think that Alex Jumelin is on a track i really appreciate : he has short, energetic links that do not contain more than 2 or 3 tricks in it.

Endless links are boring, and mixing every trick together in one same link kills the link.

What do you think ?

Offline SoKyFlow

• Funky Chicken
Re: back to simplicity
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
I think aesthetically, those of us watching flatland have our own taste. 

...but ones riding is quite personal. To each his own.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
Fair enough, i totally agree, it's about personal taste.

I was just trying to find out if other riders felt like i feel about complexity/simplicity.

Offline SoKyFlow

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »
I think you'll find a community of riders that understand how much time and effort it takes to get where they are now.  ...and a community who fully believes in artistic expression.  We all have preference, but I doubt you find many trying to influence other riders to suit theirs.

Besides, trends come and go.  Just enjoy the ride.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
...but I doubt you find many trying to influence other riders to suit theirs...
this has never been my intention.

i was only wondering if other riders shared what i felt.

Offline SoKyFlow

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
Didn't mean to come off as a dick. I haven't seen another flatlander face to face in six years, so my opinion is bunk.

lawl.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »
no worries, this place is all about opinions anyways...

Offline jbikemoto

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
yeah i kind of get what you're saying. For me, i think i like to see better style/trasition than like way technical stuff but im really noob so idk lol. Not so much for flatland but in street/trails bmx my favorite riders are Chase Hawk and Tom Dugan because although they don't cash in as many tricks or tech on their runs, im just amazed at their style and how fast and big they go for sure.

but of course technical tricks are also way cool to see for sure.

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »
I think....your just bored of flatland.
Just because people spend time after time linking in and out doesn't mean you have to, flatland is freestyle, which means do and come up with whatever sh*t you want :]]
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »
I think....your just bored of flatland.
Just because people spend time after time linking in and out doesn't mean you have to, flatland is freestyle, which means do and come up with whatever sh*t you want :]]
you're so right, and this is exactly what i'll be trying to do : simple tricks, as pure as possible, very small links...i'll see if i can do anything in that direction. Not even hard tricks, just simple things

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
I might as well jump in here.

Why do we always do tricks in a circle? what happen to riders who bust tricks in a line or just using the whole flatland area like Lee Musselwhite?
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
i've been thinking about it a little more, and i naturally thought of the japanese art of callipgraphy. there is this word KANZEN that contains both the idea of perfection, and completion. when something is perfect, it is also complete. At least that's what i understood, i just looked it up on the internet 5 minutes ago ;)

i'm going to work around this idea, with very simple single tricks, even easy tricks,  and try to make them perfect/complete. i mean you probably know this feeling when you land a trick perfectly, smoothly, and that your body and your bike have all the time been together in perfect balance. These are the moments i enjoy the most. It's so rare that i feel i need to work on simple tricks to achieve that, it is just impossible to achieve with long complex hard links.

i'll start with triple whiplashes and make them perfect, perfect start, perfect landing, same speed of rotation from beggingin till end, and perfect landing, that's it, no more

i'll try that with deathtrucks too, i haven't done this one for a while but its in my mind one of the purest trick i know...

and just see how it goes...but i'll probably get bored pretty fast !!! hahah ! we'll see ;)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:13:28 PM by jpoliti »

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 03:16:53 AM »

Why do we always do tricks in a circle? what happen to riders who bust tricks in a line or just using the whole flatland area like Lee Musselwhite?

It's trend, don't worry it will soon come around again :] Then you'll be posting why arn't we ridding in circles anymore haha :]
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline DLK

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »

It's trend, don't worry it will soon come around again :] Then you'll be posting why arn't we ridding in circles anymore haha :]

For me, everything eventually becomes circles. Like an evolution. I generally learn rolling tricks in a straight or straight-ish line, and then over time, as I get the tricks dialed, I naturally end up riding in circles. To me, it seems like circles help you keep momentum, and often, maintain a balance point.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:04:45 PM by DLK »

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »

I still ride in straight lines mostly.  I like BIG lots!   Coincidentally, the first video I watched of modern flatland when I got back into it, was a Lee Musselwhite video.  My mind was blown. 
"A puppet no more!"