Author Topic: Have Facebook, Twitter, and Flatmatters killed this message board?  (Read 45524 times)

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Have Facebook, Twitter, and Flatmatters killed this message board?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 12:58:06 AM »
forum is okay martin.facebook is killing flatland

Offline you

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 01:03:19 AM »

Anyway, back to the topic. Is there anything we can do to make the forum easier to use? Would you prefer to login using your facebook or twitter account? Do you prefer to use your mobile phone and need a better mobile version of the site?

Not everyone is on facebook.
I'm not and I have no plans to open an account there.

An Android version of the site would be nice.

Offline flaTTech

• Backpacker
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »
^ Agree with you.  I'm also not on facebook or twitter, and really don't plan to be.

I believe that the GF forum is great way for views about flatland and edits to be discussed by all flatlanders as Martin said.  I'm disappointed that the forum seems to be on a decline.  I like how on the forum when a comment is made it bumps the topic back to the top, I think this is useful.  Because there are so many updates on sites like flatmatters, (not a bad thing, flattmatters is one of my favorite sites, along with G-F) the comments about videos quickly get lost in older pages even if people are still making comments, or having a discussion.

Offline clone0001

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 03:02:57 AM »
I visit the site pretty much everyday, but I don't post much (as you can see). Both my Facebook and Twitter accounts are used for entirely different interests in my life and I would like Global-flat to stay its own thing. Just my thoughts...

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 03:27:32 AM »
I still enjoy the site.  Moderating, not so much.  It's like being a cat wrangler, lol.  But, I've stepped away from that. 

Global is still a viable community.  You can stop in and see videos(not as easy as Flatmatters, true...but you get more "homegrown" videos and riders not covered), join discussions, buy/sell/trade. 

I've made friends here...and THEN added them on Facebook.  As for the negative threads/sh*t talk...I used to really only get into it with TJ, but then it really only made me like the guy. Ha, ha.

What about the cool unique things like Online battles...and remember Bike Projects?  Very unique, and you can never pull that off on Facebook. 

As for changes to the site?  Not sure, really.  That really doesn't help, does it.  I'd like to think that Facebook, Flatmatters, etc. aren't killing flatland discussion boards...actual riding is.   It is summer, and doesn't the site see less action when everyone is out riding their bikes?  I think so.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 03:28:57 AM »
A number of thoughts....

Facebook and Twitter are becoming more and more popular. I know most local forums are dead all over the world. I think thats due to Facebook and Twitter. Global-flat survives because of news, info, updates, online battles, trading parts and a wide variety of content. As it has riders from all over the world, it survives in this age of Facebook and Twitter. Less traffic but still going.
Local forums didn't fare so well.

My humble opinion.

Pros and cons..

Pros-Twitter. Instant updates
Cons-Twitter.  dont need or want the "at bank, went shopping, saw this, did that" bs.

Pros-Facebook. connects with alot of riders, video updates, info updates, communication etc...
Cons-Facebook. too many app/game requests, Facebooks too in your face with suggestions and pop up boxes everywhere. They trick me to add friends by having a list of requests to accept, only to discover they threw in a few friend requests that now say request sent. So many pop up boxes it blocks 90% of a post, video or pic. They forced me to go from a profile to a timeline. Cant keep up with all the notifications, they flood you with notifications and emails, and say you have 30 apps outstanding. Its just too much, too forceful. It takes up too much time to unnotify everything.

Pros- Flatmatters. Great vids/edits, great updates run by a great guy.
Cons- Flattmatters. None. We need it.

Pros- Global-flat. large memberlist with riders from around the world, news, info, comps, jams, vids, marketplace, interaction etc... alot of well rounded info.
Cons-Global-flat. strong personalities clashing heads sours threads for everyone. But we need it. When ppl get less interested in FB and Twitter forums may increase traffic but we need 1 to stay alive.

This is just the way I see it. You may or may not agree.  B)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:32:45 AM by Paradoxium »

Budz

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 06:15:18 AM »
I think global-flat is still rad as it gets.
Theres still good people helping other people with their bike questions, etc.
Truth is I just got sh*t tired of all the smack talk and webfights. It kind of turned me off.
Now I might visit the site once-twice a week instead of every single day like I was doing not long ago.
Theres so much other bs in my life that I cant handle anyone elses anymore.
Global-flat is great and I hope to see people continue to use it for positive purposes.
However, if people dont get egos and mouths in check, Im afraid this to shall pass.
Please dont fk up a good thing!

Offline SoKyFlow

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 06:27:16 AM »
Perhaps you're right, but the fact is flatland is not a largely popular sport, nor is it really growing.  Since the X Games dropped it, its disappeared from the mainstream. It's likely that more people are giving up the art than picking it up. Maybe those that are left have formed close knit bonds and keep up with each other on social media more than forums. It is more convenient.

Then there's people like me. I had been riding a couple years before I met another flatlander. It simply doesn't exist where I'm from. This forum is the only interaction with other riders I'm likely to ever see, aside from traveling for hours.  Working a full time job and having other responsibilities, I just don't have the time to do that.  Not that it really bothers me.  I've always related it more to art than bmx.  Because of that, I'm content being that guy in a secluded parking lot.

...but it is nice to talk to other riders every once in awhile.  I know one rider personally. Aside from that, I've met other flatlanders once, back in 2006.  The pics were recently listed in the media section. 

I give props to people going out and putting flat in the spotlight. Terry Adam's Wal-Mart tour for instance. It's probably the only real public exposure I've seen in a long time.  When flatland flourishes, the forums will be more active. Until then, those of us still here will have to be content.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »

- Flatmatters is where everyone goes for videos
- facebook is where everyone goes for fast discussion like "who's riding today at the local spot ? - i am i'll meet you there"
- Global flat is the only place where you can go to have deeper discussions about tricks, styles, trends, constest results...

Global flat needs to focus on what makes it so specific : The Forum. and make it easier to acess and easier to use.

So i suggest Global flat should have a direct acess to its forum on its head page. i mean the head page should be the forum. It should all be about discussions, the rest comes after.

what i would may be do is have three different "global flat"sites : the main one for forum, another one for edits, and then another one for infos, and go from there.

Also, to make it easier on everyone, some people should be banned for ever (i have some names in mind...). Be more severe, this is your site, you don't need to deal with ego people whos only aim is to set your forum on fire, get rid of them. let's have strict rules.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:16:38 AM by jpoliti »

Budz

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 07:26:20 AM »
It wouldnt bother if even just 10 people used this forum, as long it its being used for something good other than people hatin and fightin. Also not sure if the lack of posts recently is because of people quitting flatland. Lately it seems as tho rider numbers are again on the rise. Just recently found out about 2 more riders here in NJ who ride flat, Evan-whos just getting back into it after many years off the bike, and then theres Troy-who was the 1st bike winner at Terry Adams' Walmart demos who is new to flat, but says he rides everyday all day. Been hearing stories like this left and right, so I highly doubt site traffic is low cuz of people quitting. People probably come here, read a few topics, see all the drama, and get turned off by it. Nobody likes egos, I mean, unless youre from the Jersey Shore cast...thos fkrs live for that sh*t.
This is flatland, not the Jersey Shore. Theres no "duck phones" here! :P
Our words and actions reach far and wide...lets be aware of that. And be aware that young kids read our posts also. Just because we dont see them doesnt mean theyre not out there reading. A kid may just read this and figure, "ok this is how flatlanders act. Im gonna be a douchebag also".
Theres more good than bad on global and I hope this site continues to be a valuable resorce for riders worldwide.
RIDE ON!

Budz

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »

Also, to make it easier on everyone, some people should be banned for ever (i have some names in mind...). Be more severe, this is your site, you don't need to deal with ego people whos only aim is to set your forum on fire, get rid of them. let's have strict rules.
+1 on this!

Offline ondo

• GF Inhabitant
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 09:16:19 AM »
Thanks for the great topic and answers, I agree to almost everything said previously.. It's just summer here and everyone's riding or doing other stuff, checking the forum is a pretty seasonal thing. Althought I agree that there's a decline in forum activity. But I know that ALMOST EVERYONE IS CHECKING global-flat ! It's just the lack of good content.

I think we all should put some stuff on the table, like creating good topics, not those for hate or arguing about competition results. We can think of some new competitions or raffles, to increase the activity, like it is with Online Battles, or bike check raffles. Everyone can do it.
Just SHARE. Share your ideas, your thoughts, your happy moments and concerns and keep the forum going.

Thanks to global-flat I've made some friends, which I have met in real time, but with a feeling that I know them for years. I will keep doing Online FlatBattles every year and I promise next year will be so awesome.

Long live global-flat! (:

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
http://thecomeupbmx.net/
this is a good example, this site is really easy to read and scroll down through the news. It is for bmx news what flatmatters is for flatland Videos. Super readable.

If there could be a way to make it that easy for Forum threads.....what do you think ?

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »
http://thecomeupbmx.net/
this is a good example, this site is really easy to read and scroll down through the news. It is for bmx news what flatmatters is for flatland Videos. Super readable.

If there could be a way to make it that easy for Forum threads.....what do you think ?

I have been thinking about that. One page where you can see all the topics and replies and just scroll down. Less clicking..

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 09:39:06 AM »
Also, it would be interesting if you could invite once a month one professional rider to start a topic and talk with everyone about a subject he would choose. It would be nice for unkown amateur riders to be able to discuss with a pro about a given subject.

just an idea

off course rules would have to be super strict, stick to the subject, and all the haters, out and banned