Author Topic: Imagine a world where all rear hubs ....  (Read 5117 times)

byke

Imagine a world where all rear hubs ....
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:09:38 AM »
.... Used the same shape driver.
Allowing customers to easily select the size they wished to use, rather than just a stock 9T

/ oh what a wonderful world.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Imagine a world where all rear hubs ....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:24:38 AM »
What are you after in particular? The KHE/clones have 9t, 10t and 11t. The Nankai's have 9t, 10t, 11t, 14t and 16t available. Plus the older Nankai's had 12t or 13t from memory. If stuffs not available new theres always E-bay.

byke

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
It was more so a reflection on past cogs and sprockets which had universal fittings, allowing cross usage.
I know the smaller sizes have helped cause a need for 1pc cogs.
But it would be nice if hubs could be sold without a rear cog, like cranks and bottom brackets.

Offline ckcheong

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:06:38 AM »
imagine a world with a freecoaster that does not require maintainence and take street like abuse

Offline carld

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
I'm still using 11t on the Khe and lately Federal at least until I get complete fed up with replacing the 7905 bearing on a weekly basis.   I have a 12t on the Nankai.   The old Suntour has a 12t also.   

I had to get the 11t driver from FF for the KHE/fed (both came with 9t).   In a way, I woudn't mind if KHE at least made a 12t, but that company just won't.   Have they fixed the bearing design flaw?  No.   but instead, they made the hub female/bolt style which doesn't look to be showing that much success.     

With cassette's I stay with Profile, or really I'm using Madera hubs just because they cost the least and still use Profile parts.   I also have a choice to use a "real" cassette with cogs instead of overly expensive 1pc drivers.    In the cassette type market I wish Odyssey, Primo, Tree and whoever else just pretty much only made shells for the Profile guts to make things better, and easier to find and replace parts.
Sorry I don't kiss ass, or care to follow, or copy.

Offline henry@ecbmx

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
I used to dream of a freewheel that would just thread on to a hub and not backpedal.

byke

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »
It would be nice to see more 10T cogs available .... but I guess 9T rule the roost in terms of sales.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
I have a 10t on my Federal freecoaster.

I agree with those complaining about freecoasters though. I feel its the last part not nearly perfected. I've been pretty lucky with mine but thats not the case for many.  :P

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:53:13 PM »
I have a 10t on my Federal freecoaster.

I agree with those complaining about freecoasters though. I feel its the last part not nearly perfected. I've been pretty lucky with mine but thats not the case for many.  :P
Ive got an 11t on my federal V2. No complaints, no bearings blowing. None of that. I only can complain of spokes. I hear all these people unhappy and just.. DO NOT get it about what there doing to there wheels.

As far as what bikes talking about, I can understand his interest in finite adjustabillity. With the screw on cogs like the ancient taskas and suntour coasters used * think fixie cogs*.
But my expierience with that style of driver, is very sh*tty. Un threading itself, blowing tack welds apart off the hub and not to mention the tack welds causing problems to the threads for a new cog.
I think im content with whats available.
Byke, your innovative. What coaster are you currently running? I figured if thats what you were after... Youd of had the inside of a "Cog" cut up to match the teeth of your driver and "Staked"/ safety wired together........

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
It would be nice if our freecoasters worked with the same drivers that are used on all cassette hubs, so we'd have a ton of different brands of drivers to choose from, easy availability, and the option of getting the super light ti drivers.  Freecoasters are such a niche item it makes sense to engineer them with some interchangeable parts with the more popular hubs whenever possible.  It would keep costs down and make it easier for people to get what the need. I've wanted to get a 9 tooth driver for my Nankai for years, but there's no way I'm spending $80 for the mod kit.