Author Topic: Could the current shape in bikes be hindering new blood?  (Read 26344 times)

byke

Could the current shape in bikes be hindering new blood?
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
Could the current shape in bikes be hindering new blood?

In recent years we have seen trends in the flatland world, where bicycle parts and styles are more consistent with those of other parts (example : street parts, simple frames etc etc ) but do you think this could be having a negative effect on attracting new riders?

Could the unique shape of bendy tubes, platforms, the complexity of gyros, The zero sweep kneesavers of yesteryear and the style of bikes and parts that set flatland apart in the past. Be a factor to why we may be currently looking like a sport with a lack of new riders?

I am also wondering with the trend of being brakeless if its having a negative effect on new riders in regards to making it harder to learn the basic tricks so that an even smaller percentage of new riders are sticking with it.

Don't get me wrong, I like new school.
And have seen many trends and styles come and go as part of evolution.

But I wonder, if the current progression trends are hindering attracting new riders.?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:19:12 PM by byke »

Offline antdog

• Forkglider
Re: Could the current shape in bikes be hindering new blood?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
Intersting- I prefer the older style of bike- haro hutch etc. I tried riding  some of the new frames but did not feel comfortable. The only new school frame that I have ridden thst suits me is the hoffman strowler. Flatland is a differnt animal now. I am not against progression but I just prefer the classics.

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
if people don't pick up on flatland because of the look of parts or because it's too hard then they don't belong.  swim upstream.  oh wait, actually they just post on global all the time instead of riding

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
interesting question, but i think that what keeps flatland so unpopular, is that it is just difficult in itself, it just takes awfully long to learn...

I don't believe that riding with breaks is easier than riding without, it is just a different way of riding.

I fear that Flatland will remain like it is for a long time, with only a few riders.

Offline Deadwing

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »
Flatlanders need to get off the idea that Part X will make them better at trick Y.  Or Part X will prevent them from doing Trick Y. Flatlanders need to get off their asses and stop coming up with excuses.

There are riders out there who ride old school bikes and kill it and riders who ride new school bikes and kill it. This should be enough evidence that its not what you ride its what you put in riding. But if you want go buy the 9000th revision of the same part or frame because it will make "Trick Y's more easier" go for it.
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/hashcab217

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:04:18 PM »

Do we know that we are hindering new blood or is this speculation?
If you “need” a flat bike to ride flatland then I think riders are at a loss. If you can ride anything on a progressive street frame, well, I think that opens a riders thoughts up and creates more riders and many more tools for him to use. Maybe more specific flatland parts push riders away... I know my LBS likes me on a strait tube frame with 2 pc bars because I can relate more to the average kid/ rider(my bike looks like theirs). I think if the new kid can go home after watching me pull a combo and try it out on his street ride, thats much more powerful than having him believe he has to build a whole other bike, just to try. Couple of pegs and go! I've turned at least 5-6 riders around in my hood just in the last 6 months that way. They don't stay with it but that's because they don't have focus and it's hard, not because they don't have a "flatland bike". I think being set apart, when you are a kid, is kind of a bad thing; looking like everyone else is "cool".
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:13:12 AM »
i don't think it's hurting new riders, but it's definitely hurting flat only companies.  the longer, double diamond frames are easy to get from fly and many others in a 19.8-20" range so why would someone spend 369-399 for a flat specific lil guy when they can go with an S&M or fly.  same applies for 2 piece bars.

Just my opinion...
 :P

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:41 AM »
"Could the current shape in bikes be hindering new blood?"

NO. I think they come on here and see no one having any fun. It's stale, meaning this Forum. Check out how "Cool and Hip" The Come up is, hell, even the Museum has fun . People post things to get others involved on here and no one even bothers themselves to reply if it isn't Flat oriented. Point is, there is MORE to life than flat and "I think" thats what they want, people get dogged when they're a "NEWB" to this site and buy a nice new Pro grade bike. Why?: It's their money.....

Bottom line?  Have some fun in OPEN TALK people.
The vids are also Great to get kids hyped.
Post your bikes, we all like pics.
If you have an OPINION ,POST IT!
Everyone is been getting along for months just run with it and have some fun from the sh!tstorm we call LIFE... pic related.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:42:43 AM by JUGGARNAUT »

Offline Bobby

• Backpacker
    • Diversion TV
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:18:57 AM »
I think the new trends in bike design and trick styles signal a slow, but sure merging into street. The street and flatland bikes look very similar now. You have street dudes learning hang5's, hang nothings, nose wheelies, etc. Then you flatland guys doing a lot of half cab whopper type tricks. In the future a new kid on the scene may get a bike that's the most versatile and affordable. Then you'll have kids learning jumps, some grinds, and a few flatland tricks that are relevant to street and that will be pretty much it. 

Meanwhile, it may be that cross footed hitchhikers and time machines, long combos etc.  will be reserved for the small, aging community of flatland specific riders out there that will keep progressing with flatland as we know it today.

byke

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 01:35:10 AM »

Purely speculation.
However, anyone who looks at the stats for this site over the past few years can see there has been a dramatic decline of both visitors and posters. Which could indicate we are seeing a steady decline.

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?action=stats

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 03:17:28 AM »
I think today's generation has little attention span, and less patience to learn than riders in the past. Flatland is not instant gratification, and that is prolly our biggest downfall as far as attracting new riders. Right now people post status updates from their phone during every conceivable daily event and expect that feedback. A sport where you can go a year without really anything awesome to show, I think is not very attractive to this mindset.
 It just looks "too hard".

as for the streetish trend in parts now, it could go either way. you could say that it makes flatland more accessible, or you could argue that it makes us less distinct, and so, less appealing. time will tell i guess.

/oldmanrant
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:26:57 AM by jm »

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 03:57:49 AM »

Purely speculation.
However, anyone who looks at the stats for this site over the past few years can see there has been a dramatic decline of both visitors and posters. Which could indicate we are seeing a steady decline.

i seriously doubt there's a causal connection between the number of flatland riders and the number of hits the forum gets

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:01:23 AM »
flatland is a small community, and has always been. And always will be.

my intuition is that it's not dying, and that there is some benefit to be gained from the merging of flatland and street. Flatland will take advantage of that inspiration and feed from it, riders should see it as a chance to refresh things a little, shouldn't think of it as a threat because it's not.

riders like alex jumelin for example show that you can still have flatland looking like flatland while using a street trick as a strong base (nose wheelie, wich i see now as a treet trick eventhough i think it comes nore from flatland but that's long time ago when both disciplines were really close.)

Anyway i think it's all very positive.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 04:03:38 AM »

Purely speculation.

i seriously doubt there's a causal connection between the number of flatland riders and the number of hits the forum gets

you re right, riders stay in contact in other ways, with Facebook for example. forums are getting oldschool ? ;)

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 04:53:05 AM »
My take is nothing you buy (frame, stem, hub, etc.) will make flatland easier.  But it doesn't stop us from buying a new frame or bars.  And I have a lot of bars.

It looks like the same thing that happened in skating.  Flatland boards were small twin kick tail deals. Ramp boards and street boards were wide and bullet shaped.  Street got more technical and started to incorporate kick flips, shuvits that were developed in flatland.  The Vision Double Blind was born.  An intersection of a flatland deck with the width of a street deck.

Now you see a lot of hang 5 or pedal hang 5's in street and flatlanders doing street/flat like M Dandios.  The bikes have caught up, 19+ TT and straight tubes. Not quite the 21" TT 29" wide handle bars but something right in the middle.

Did I get off topic?