Author Topic: What is the advantage of 2pc bars?  (Read 17530 times)

byke

What is the advantage of 2pc bars?
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
Just curious to hear your views?

Offline top_rider

• Backpacker
Re: What is the advantage of 2pc bars?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:48:35 PM »
well I've been riding 2 pc bars since I first started bmx, and switched to 8-piece for awhile but then back to 2 pc.
More leverage, Longer life (less bents and cracks), and I like to ride sweeps

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
after snapping off the griptube of my chase bars, honestly just the fact that two piece bars will give a little before they try to impale me.

Offline antdog

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »
I like the feel of 4 piece myself. using older GT bars right now

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »
the main advantage is that if you don't ride them you cant be cool. ::) .

i don't know if they have an advantage or not at least they are the same a flatlandbars it depends on preference but for me they are a bit more friendly on the wrists and give  to the bike a better overall feeling for hoppin tricks and nose manny.

as for strength i don't know if they are really stronger because a couple of days ago i snapped my 8 months old SeM intrikat bar were at the point were the grip is connected to the ------- middle of the bar.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

byke

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 11:49:05 PM »
It's interesting that early on in this thread, there have been comments regarding geometry (in regards to hand placement) as it would appear many of the new 2pc aimed at flatland look to offer it in zero/minimal to appease past flat trends. Yet some have already mentioned different values.

In regards to strength, this has to come down to design and quality (regardless if it's a 2pc or 25pc bar)

Anyone have any comments regarding ergonomics?

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
every pair of 4 piece i ever owned cracked where the clamp tube is welded to the rest of the bars

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »

i don't know if they have an advantage or not at least they are the same a flatlandbars it depends on preference but for me they are a bit more friendly on the wrists and give  to the bike a better overall feeling for hoppin tricks and nose manny.

as for strength i don't know if they are really stronger because a couple of days ago i snapped my 8 months old SeM intrikat bar were at the point were the grip is connected to the ------- middle of the bar.

That sucks! This is the first time I've heard of a pair failing. I'm curious what happened.

Let me know if I can assist you with the warranty process.
instagram.com/intrikatbmx

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 12:57:30 AM »

That sucks! This is the first time I've heard of a pair failing. I'm curious what happened.

Chad, mine came pre twisted from the factory (crossbar was shifted, touching the front of the left tube and the rear of the right)

as for 2 vs. 4, i like the feel of 4 piece bars overall.  it's weird because when haro kneesavers came out i rode my gt moosebars better, but finally switched and pretty much never looked back.  i've tried a few newer 2 piece bars but just dont like the big burley feel. keep in mind though, i'm older with an older style of riding so i still throw my leg over the crossbar for tricks like funky chickens and such so a high crossbar doesn't fit my particular style much.  i do like the deep escobar/suelo style 2 (4) piece bars though.

Offline ckcheong

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 03:30:33 AM »

to be honest, i have total confident on S&M products
but if one i day, that snapping things happen to me, what do i need to claim the warranty?
do i need to fill in the warranty card come with the products?
I think i throw those things away

Offline AlanYoungflat

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 03:56:21 AM »
The Real Deal on 2 piece bars

There are more advantages to 2 piece bars than 4 or multiple piece bars. But here are some misconceptions that need to be cleared up.

*Less welds means a stronger bar.
  (welds are the weakest point of most products)
The process of welding two pieces of metal together is all about penetration of the metals and the contact filament joining them. If a part of bar breaks fairly quickly then the welder did not "melt" the pieces together at a high enough temperature and didn't get far enough through the material.

* They do not give more leverage
  (leverage is based on length, like how you loosen a rusty bolt by a long breaker bar.)
If you want to gain more "eaze" or better control of your bike then get wider and taller handlebars. The height allows for easier torque on the front wheel tricks, while the width gives stability.

*stem clearance
  (4 or more piece bars allow for a tighter "lower box" of handlebars)
The lower box is the bottom of the handlebar that the stem clamps on to. Having a multi piece bar allows for direct lines to the stem so your knees dont hit the bottom of the bars as much. As with a 2 piece bar they need to have a bend at the bottom for the up-rise. This widens the base, but also makes it strong than  4+ piece since there is no weld)

*comfort
(No set handlebar is more comfortable than another. Look carefully at the Back-sweep and Up-sweep of the bar as closely as you do with the TT and CS of a frame. More Back-sweep will allow your wrists to take the abuse better and is also a more natural angle for holding onto the bar. Up-sweep is not as much effective in comfort, but most bars have 1-5 degrees of up-sweep which depends on the back-sweep of the bar.

This is just a few of the major components that should be taken into consideration in looking at handlebars.

Offline ross636

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:11 AM »
well with me i was dealing with bad tennis elbow. and was riding graveyard ti bars zero up and 2deg back for over 10 years. not sure if because i switch bars but tried three pair before picking one, now i am riding 10deg back and 5deg up. 7.5 rise. and feel great! i even put in more hours with a lot more fun.  (make sure your bars are at least full 4130, anything thats not bend like foil! trust me on this)  ;D           

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »
-price
-more sweep
-strength
-availability

Offline DaveDeBuono

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
i'll admit it, i dig the look right now. i dont care for the higher crossbar but i like no sharp corners. i dont imagine ever wanting full sweep street bars. i don't break enough handlebars to consider strength. i think bars are allll about looks. for everyone no matter what they quote this and say  ;D :beer:
life is short. stunt it.