Author Topic: What is the advantage of 2pc bars?  (Read 17418 times)

byke

Re: What is the advantage of 2pc bars?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »
I think what it comes down to is this.
regardless what type of bar you buy, a good bar is that of one which has been designed properly (regardless if its 2pc, 6pc etc).

And unfortunately, we often associate bad design with particular shapes based in time where design standards are not at the same level as they are today with never trends.

So if we had a role reversal and had lived through years of badly designed 2pc bars in the past where non butted tubing had been used, and bends that were too tight for the wall thickness chosen ...... and better designed non 2pc bars were the new trend and had better design to them in terms of tubing thickness etc .... we could be in the same boat where as now but claiming 6pc bars are better.

However what does separate 2pc from other bars is its shape.
Now if we could see a strong 1pc (multi butted monocoque) bar in the future .... that would be interesting.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 06:44:54 PM »
to be honest, i have total confident on S&M products
but if one i day, that snapping things happen to me, what do i need to claim the warranty?
do i need to fill in the warranty card come with the products?
I think i throw those things away

Glad to hear that. I also have total confidence in S&M products. There's thousands of bars that leave the building and go through Quality Control but I guess once in a great while a defective pair slips through. We stand behind our products though and the warranty program is top-notch. The warranty card helps make the process easier but if you threw it out, you're not screwed. If you have an issue, send me a pm.

Personally I've had no problem with any of the production bars, but I did tweak a prototype pair when I was off balance in a combo and my bike shot-off into the concrete wall. The prototypes weren't heat-treated, but since then we've heat-treated every pair and I've had no more issues. S&M's 4Q heat treatment makes a big difference when it comes to strength, not many companies offer this extra step.
instagram.com/intrikatbmx

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »
I think what it comes down to is this.
regardless what type of bar you buy, a good bar is that of one which has been designed properly (regardless if its 2pc, 6pc etc).

And unfortunately, we often associate bad design with particular shapes based in time where design standards are not at the same level as they are today with never trends.

So if we had a role reversal and had lived through years of badly designed 2pc bars in the past where non butted tubing had been used, and bends that were too tight for the wall thickness chosen ...... and better designed non 2pc bars were the new trend and had better design to them in terms of tubing thickness etc .... we could be in the same boat where as now but claiming 6pc bars are better.

However what does separate 2pc from other bars is its shape.
Now if we could see a strong 1pc (multi butted monocoque) bar in the future .... that would be interesting.

i think u r right :beer:
i judged only from the exeperiences ive had in the past so thats why i thought 2pc bars are stronger

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
weld tension crack.

Offline efxman

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
Sweep and comfort play no part you can make either with sweep or no sweep to achieve comfort, it comes down to preference, strength and weight.  I prefer two piece.

byke

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 06:59:55 PM »
Here is another interesting question ......

Is this a 2pc bar (yes or no)

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 07:11:40 PM »
No and it begs to crack at the crossbar.

byke

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
weld tension crack.

I can almost bet that the tubes used were different thickness' combined with other design choices is what helped cause that crack.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
You're probably right, but it is weld tension that caused this to crack right next to the weld because of a HOT weld.

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 01:01:14 AM »
I can almost bet that the tubes used were different thickness' combined with other design choices is what helped cause that crack.

I can't think of a single frame on the market that uses the same size wall thicknesses on all the tubes at that particular intersection. Most likely that frame cracked due to the welding of the seat stays on top of the Heat Affected Zone of the primary top tube/seat tube weld.

As far as the advantages of 2 piece bars for me is ergonomics. Nothing more soothing for old wrists and elbows than bars with a good amount of backsweep.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:05:58 AM by stuntnuts »

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 03:20:08 AM »
The one thing that I really like about 2 piece bars, is that it seems they are offered with wider choices.  I hate  that most multi-piece designs are narrow.  I want some 28 inch wide, multi-piece bars! I need a low cross-bar because my jacked up knees won't allow me to bend all the way.  Can't find that in two-piece bars. It seems like the custom route may be my only option.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »
I think 2 pc bars generally have a bit better strength to weight ratio.  But it's not like people here are going to be sailing down 10 sets to flat.  On the other hand, 4 pc bars can be made a lot narrower at the clamp part (kneesaver) and the top tube can be lowered down to bar hop able levels.  Either one will work just fine depending on your preferences and what tricks you want to do. 

But it all comes down to style and what people decide looks "right" for that time period.  I think it's hilarious that riding tries to act like we are immune to trends, but anyone who has been around long enough to see things come and go and come back again will tell you this sport is very, very, style conscious.     

I've seen it with pegs, brake preferences (brakeless, one brake, dual brakes), bike weights, bar widths, tire widths, bar styles, bike colors, seat height, spoke count, gear ratios, zero offset setups, headtube angles, top tube lengths, even things like wearing shorts, track pants, tight pants, JNCOS, etc.   It all depends on what tricks are considered cool for the time period and what's being made that's popular.  Some of those things are evolution and better quality stuff (36 spoke wheels were terrible in the 80's, but now they work just fine) but others weren't.         

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2012, 11:35:42 PM »
The disadvantage of 2-piece bars is that there is no uniqueness... they all look the same.

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 12:15:38 AM »
The disadvantage of 2-piece bars is that there is no uniqueness... they all look the same.

that;'s kinda how i feel about straight tubed frames too.  i don't care for super bent and wacky tubing but the straight tube bike bores me.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 12:53:38 AM »
I've always felt that two piece bars had more flex and therefore were more comfortable than ultra stiff handlebars.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.