Author Topic: How I Scored Rebel Jam and More (Exclusive)  (Read 32954 times)

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
How I Scored Rebel Jam and More (Exclusive)
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »
If Joe Kickass Judged...

Vans Rebel Jam - Dec. 4, 2011
1 - Matthias 'the master' Dandois
2 - Colorful Dom
3 - Dez Maaaaaaaarsen
4 - WFat
5 - Viki
6 - The KUN
7 - A.J.
8 - JFB
9 - Seppi
10 and beyond -- the rest

Joe Kickass Bitchfest

I felt the competition wasn't interesting until Fatkin hit the floor.

There's entirely too much f*cking up and incompetence going on in these runs at the professional level.

If you count up the amount of time spent having to re-start combos, get up from falls, set up combos (the riding in circles sh*t) -- vs. time spent SUCCESSFULLY completing combos -- it's not even close.

There's just too much bloody down time, and dead air where nothing is happening -- Jesus Christ, the audience had to wait several minutes to locate Akira. Anycrap, all of this makes competition pretty boring. So thank f*cking god for web edits.

That said, I felt the top 2 today - Dominik and Matthias were so far above the rest in terms of just being pros, it was a joke. With Matthias outshining everyone in terms of ability, energy, showmanship, competence, and gulp -- professional flawlessness. I would strongly argue the 2 touches prior to his finale was bullsh*t designed to generate hype for a 3rd attempt -- another sign of his professionalism imho.

Also, this horesh*t about getting multiple attempts to try and pull a combo or banger AFTER your time expires is insanely idiotic. Both Viki and Dez wasted everyone's time AFTER their time expired - at least Viki pulled his post-run combo. Dez tortured everyone with misses, then flat out fell on attempts 4 and 5. Listen, fellas - if you can't pull your sh*t after 2 attempts - move on and stop boring everyone to death.

It's easy to see why Flatland comps don't appeal to many. They don't even appeal to me in this format as they've become so dreadfully dull.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why at the professional level, only 3 or 4 guys have flowing/touchless runs. If you can't pull your links ALL THE TIME - they are NOT ready for the professional competition floor. Sorry, that's how it is in every other sport and performance genre -- Flatland needs to step it up if it wants respect. So, those wondering why Flat doesn't get airtime or big event inclusion or coverage, etc. 

That's pretty much why.

I love you.
Joe Kickass

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:16:50 PM by JoeKickass »
"You can ride brakeless with brakes." -- Scott O

Offline Moya-1

• Cliffhanger
Re: How I Scored Rebel Jam and More (Exclusive)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
it really curius that the 2 guys flowless are the less original. dont u think???

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
That may be.
But at least they have and can pull off  'finished products.'

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:58:15 PM by JoeKickass »

Offline Moya-1

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
art isnt about products, its about creation. if u want to make a show, yes, matthias and dom are the best for a show.

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
'finished products' above = completed combos/links.

creation of course -- but if you can't pull it, it doesn't exist.

that's like asking me to appreciate a concert where during every single song, the artist re-started and said 'oh, wait a second, wait a second.' Even if he's trying to play the sickest solo ever.

Have the f*cking solo ready before you perform it - that's all I'm saying. Whether in competition or performance.

Jackson Pollack's or Pablo Picasso or whoeverthef*ck's paintings can be appreciated - because they completed them, not because they intended to complete them.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:07:26 PM by JoeKickass »

Offline Kevin Brill @ Kassel

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
and also I would not say that matthias is unoriginal just because he is less original.

If being super original means in almost ALL cases to get to the point where you can not  pull any of your original tricks at first try then its pretty much pointless in my eyes

Of course is art about creation, moya? Ever seen a painter that got famous with a portrait that he screwed up in the middle but then painted over it again and it shows that he did so?  (nice, same example as joe used minutes before me!
furthermore this is a contest, not an art show. There is no arguing about the definements of a contest! A contest is something where you show what you can do and not what you could do!
as much as I love creative and original riding, even the original tricks should be learnt well enough to come first or maybe even second try.

but the posing of matthias is getting a little too much... wheres the modesty?
Showmanship should not be a important thing in contests, but pulling his combos should. that far I am agreeing with you joe
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:11:58 PM by Kevin Brill @ Kassel »

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
I can't speak to Matthias' behavior or modesty - but he's clearly the best, I think he's entitled to enjoy that honor.

This is supposed to be the professional level - these professional athletes/artists should be far more concerned with getting their f*cking act together instead of being insulted over a few poses - imho.

loque

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »

Offline Moya-1

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:31:38 PM »
U dont understand me. If u like a flat contest to be like that. Just people who copy  but, wait, they makes flawless runs, and it so much better for the public.
Flatland is about hability and creativity. Im not saying that we have just to be creatives. Flatland is both things. Just wanted to remind u.

U both talk about painters, they dont do competition in wich they have to do a portrait in 2 min.

Mathias was the best in 2008, now he win contest doing straat and jeff derroches tricks.

Offline Kevin Brill @ Kassel

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
This is supposed to be the professional level - these professional athletes/artists should be far more concerned with getting their f*cking act together instead of being insulted over a few poses - imho.

Not insulting, just pointing out that he already acted like he had won, waving the french flag etc.

loque

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 07:47:07 PM »
Whose the unbearable asshole on the mic? Ive never heard someone talk so much sh*t in my life and i used to talk to tranq. Also isnt flat ment to be a global community ? whats up with matthias and his overt flag waving bullsh*t? I cant name one other rider ever who flag waves like that or makes where there from any kind of issue . Flatland comps are a joke .
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:55:42 PM by loque »

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »
U both talk about painters, they dont do competition in wich they have to do a portrait in 2 min.

Then use a musician/live concert performer as an example - that's creative - but he/she needs to get through a song to present their creativity. Not just present a verse and re-start and re-start and never finish.

Mathias was the best in 2008, now he win contest doing straat and jeff derroches tricks.
And everyone rides doing Kevin Jones and Plywood Hood tricks. Next.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:04:43 PM by JoeKickass »

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
Not insulting, just pointing out that he already acted like he had won, waving the french flag etc.
Got it. I'm no fan of that sh*t either.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:03:49 PM by JoeKickass »

Offline Moya-1

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »
I dont know if u have seen street finals or not. You are blaming about the lack of profesionality of the flatland riders just because they dont do their tricks at first or second try. Your say: that is the problem of flatland....

Street. Much more popular than flatland. 5 atemps, average, for pulling 1 single trick each PROFESIONAL(they are true profesional).

Also ive put a reply cuz u disrespect all the others riders. 9 first, and the rest. If u dont respect flat riders u dont respect flatland.
 "If u respect us, everybody respect us"- Jesse Puente

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
I didn't watch the street or park. The flat comp was beyond boring and only 3 competitors completed 50% or greater of what they were attempting today. When I watch park comps, it goes trick to trick to trick to trick - occasional crash. Not going through the entire run missing 2 or more times in a row - re attempting the same stuff over and over and over only to miss again. That's just how I see it. No momentum. No excitement. Just constant 'awws.'
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:27:14 PM by JoeKickass »