Author Topic: Lower back issues due to never switching feet?  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
Lower back issues due to never switching feet?
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
Heya

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this happening?
Over the past couple of years my riding has really slowed down and over this past year I have started noticing a popping very low in my back, almost in my hip.  It occurs usually when I am lowering my left leg if I have my knee raised 90 degrees.  I never knew what the cause of it was but yesterday I finally went out and had a good session for the first time in months and that exact spot in my back is now really sore.

I think I may have determined the root cause and now it looks like it's time to start learning everything opposite foot.  Hopefully that will help strenthen & realign everything?

Yeah I know I should of done that way sooner but I am more comfy just doing everything left footed.

thanks much,

Clint

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
Re: Lower back issues due to never switching feet?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:19:37 PM »
wow

I did not expect it to be this difficult but I am struggling to even do a fork glide on the opposite side!  :| 

But it is a fun challenge, & hopefully it ends up helping out w/ my back. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  :/

Offline Punch

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 05:34:40 AM »
I know exactly what you're talking about Gen.  The pop doesn't hurt but it feels really awkward.  Don't know if riding is the cause but I have had the same popping feeling in my Hip for a long time and never bothered to find out what it is.  I think it has something to do with the head of the femur in the acetabulum. When I lay on my back and roll my left leg around it pops, but when i roll my right leg it feels fine.

Offline Le_Polonais

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:12:35 AM »
Thats exactly what i have/had... Get yourself a foam roller and roll out all those tight muscles in your leg/hip/lower back... stretch only your left side compared to the right, i have an inversion table at home and i hang myself by my tight leg and it does wonders, but its gonna take time to get back to 100% but after 3 months of doing this routine every day i can keep up my riding and its slowly getting better. if you have this stay away from all those one legged pumping tricks on your bad side because you have a strong side and weak side and maybe this affected your pelvic balance. You should go see an osteopath because my pelvis was tweaked to one side (mind you ive been riding 10 years)...  read up about it on the net... golfers and baseball players have the same problem, from lunging always on one leg. 2 years ago it got so bad i had to stop riding and get therapy, now its a minor ache but an annoying one in fact, it was so bad i thought id have to quit... just relax on your riding and take care of yourself, peace

Offline Le_Polonais

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:13:33 AM »
also try to stay loose when you ride, i know this is hard, but its the best way to ride, push instead of pull on the bars for balance is more natural and less damaging

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
For now I'm just going to continue trying to keep loose & strengthen my core more, while trying to learn stuff on opposite & both feet.  Hopefully this cooler weather will continue to be inspiring.  :)

I've always wanted an inversion system of some sorts.. just something to hang upside down from.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
I'd recommend a good chiropractor, for starters. If your muscles on one side are very tight, there's a chance it's pulled things out of alignment. Popping sounds are indicative of that. good luck man

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »
Hell yes on the chirpractor and while you're at it, after a few good sessions (once your body goes back into alignment) go for a massage as well.
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.