Author Topic: Michelin has launched 2 new BMX tires  (Read 2760 times)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Michelin has launched 2 new BMX tires
« on: March 25, 2021, 11:48:53 PM »
Michelin has launched the Pilot SX and Pilot SX Slick, two new BMX tires in its Racing Line range, targeted at competitive riders who compete at the highest levels and riders who want the ultimate performance when riding for pleasure.

Using competition rubber compounds, sourced from Michelin road bike tires, the Pilot SX features a tread pattern intended for racing on soft tracks or in autumn and winter conditions, while the Pilot SX Slick features a marked and very shallow tread pattern which is suitable for racing on hard tracks, or in spring and summer conditions. In summary, the Pilot SX Slick offers maximum race performance while the Pilot SX provides more grip.

Both tires are tubeless ready (TLR) to reduce weight and improve rolling resistance by around 15 to 25 percent compared to the same tire running with an inner tube. However, as with all Michelin TLR bicycle tires, the BMX Racing Line tires can also be used with inner tubes. Both models feature a robust three layer 60 TPI casing to resist damage, improve durability and cope with tyre pressures of up to 5 bars.

Available in dealers from April, the Pilot SX and Pilot SX Slick will be available in 20x1.70 size.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Michelin has launched 2 new BMX tires
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 01:07:51 AM »
These look cool, I wonder how big the 1.7 size inflates to. Could be a quality, light tire that weighs less than some of the kevlars and doesn't blow off the rims like the latest batch of Ares kevlars all seem to do
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 02:07:26 AM »
Neat. The tread on the slick version does not look very deep, like it would wear down to a bald condition quickly. I wonder how they'll perform as a flatland tire.

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 03:01:34 AM »
Forget the tires, look at those carbon fiber rims... kidding

Props to Michellin tires to jump into the BMX world.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 06:15:27 AM by anthony »

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 01:34:29 PM »
Here's some pics of them on a bike.

Offline 1

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »
Their website says it holds up to 5 bars, which is only about 70 PSI if I'm not mistaken!  ??

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 06:34:20 PM »
Their website says it holds up to 5 bars, which is only about 70 PSI if I'm not mistaken!  ??

good call on that
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 10:46:18 PM »

good call on that
I want nothing to do with a tire that can't hold at least 80 psi