Author Topic: integrated chain tensioners VS. standard chain tensioners  (Read 1884 times)

Offline floriot

integrated chain tensioners VS. standard chain tensioners
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:31:05 AM »
Hey folks

Iīve already searched for appropriate posts, but couldnīt find anything useful unfortunately.
Therefore please help to clear following matter:

My new frame has got those integrated chain tensioners and I am wondering if those would do their job properly since they seem to be a bit weak/fragile though (at least weaker than standard tensioners seem to be). By the way I use to run my chain tight as hell...

Any experience/records are highly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
Re: integrated chain tensioners VS. standard chain tensioners
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
My new frame has got those integrated chain tensioners and I am wondering if those would do their job properly since they seem to be a bit weak/fragile though (at least weaker than standard tensioners seem to be). By the way I use to run my chain tight as hell...

Any experience/records are highly appreciated..

First,
if you talk about integrated tensioner like you can find in the St Martin frames for example, that's different than the one you could find in Dragonfly's frames.
In the St Martin frames, the tensioner system is a bit weak and it can break after some uses as I saw in my friend's bike.

Second,
just use what is integrated in your new frame (don't rack one's brains) and if it comes to break, just clean the dropout and use a standard tensioner
and I will advice you to not tight your chain as hell if it's to avoid the crank to move, there are several different ways explained in this board (search button) to get that. You will kill chain, sprocket and driver's freecoaster if you tight your chain so much

Offline floriot

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »
Yep, it is a St. Martin frame indeed...

Just for the record - the fact that my chain is that tight has nothing to do with crank moval or something like that ... it is just preference though.

But yeah, I will give it a try I guess and see if/how long it will keep the chain tight then.

Thanks man!

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »
throw them away and just pull the wheel back u lazy bum  ;D
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline floriot

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
Nooooooo  ::)
I like this tension stuff ..  ...  . .   .

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »
hehe, we'll I had that frame(still do), tensioners were no problem, never broke unlike the ones that go on the side  >:D
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN