Author Topic: Sad news about fellow rider Josh King...  (Read 17727 times)

Offline temposs

Sad news about fellow rider Josh King...
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:36:11 AM »
Members of the flatland community,

I am saddened deeply to tell you all that my long time friend Josh King of Leesburg, Virginia passed away earlier this year. Josh was a very talented and dedicated flatland rider who had been active in the scene for the last 14 years. He was a quiet guy who had a very distinct and unique style on his bike. I spent many hours with Josh during various road-trips to contests and jams - time that I will cherish for the rest of my life. He was a good flatlander, a good friend to me, and a great person in general. I know over his years of involvement with flatland he has met many riders from all over the world. I would like to ask that anyone who has pictures, videos, or just memories of meeting Josh or riding with him to post them up here. He is survived by his mother and father - I'd like to compile any various media artifacts out there of Josh for them to have, so please share.

http://obituaries.timescommunity.com/SS/Page.aspx?sstarg=&facing=false&secid=95647&adid=2265073

Rest in peace, Josh. I love you man - you will be missed.
-Chris Dibble

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
  • The Brotherhood for life.
    • Monolithic Flatland
Re: Sad news about fellow rider Josh King...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:14:16 AM »
So sorry to hear this.  What happened?

Offline blacksmoo6

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:29:16 AM »
R.I.P Josh....you will be missed.

Offline BMXTRIX

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:14 AM »
Wow, I can't believe this happenned.  Josh was such an amazing rider.  Strangely, he ended up working in A/V with a couple of the guys I used to work with at Myer Emco, then he helped me out with some work with my company.  It was awesome to see him at the York Jam a couple of years back.

It's so amazingly sad to hear about his passing and he will be missed.  Far beyond his riding, he will be a part of my memories forever.

Rest in peace Josh.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »
I rode with Josh throughout high school, often times spending hours late into the night just riding away. I cannot believe this happened.

Offline Eric Mitchell

• Forkglider
  • Reston, VA
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:38:32 AM »
I was very saddened to learn tonight that a long time Flatland friend Josh King passed away in Jan. Josh was an all around great guy and a gifted rider with a unique style and tons of creativity. He and I rode together on and off over the past 10+ years (including many dusk till dawn sessions) and I always admired his dedication to creating and learning some of the hardest of combos one could imagine.

Josh was always an "underground" rider since the day I met him, so it didn't strike me as odd at all to not hear from him for months or even a year at a time. Whenever we got together he would blow my mind with all he had learned! He was always out in parking lot riding hard and doing what he loved. I'm really sorry I'm not gonna get another call to come ride with you my friend and I'm gonna miss seeing your crazy new tricks Josh... ride hard until we meet again my friend! (you better have some cool sh*t dialed)

Chris... Pretty sure I have numerous photos of Josh I can pull together from film.

-Eric Mitchell

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:05 AM »
Here is a video Josh and I did a few years ago of us screwing around one muggy summer evening. God I'm going to really miss him.

TJ Perry Flatland Small | Large

oddly enough I never uploaded it to youtube. Someone else found it somehow and put it up. Really wish I had more of josh in there but he's got two really really solid links, especially considering this is like.. 2005.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:44:10 AM by 2flat2furious »

Offline MIKE EVANS

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:27 AM »
This is absolutely unbelievable to hear. I know Josh's friends will speak up as to what a genuine and nice guy as well as a talented rider he was, but for those who didnt know him, this will probably floor you:

Last time I saw Josh was at Voodoo 2009. He wasnt a rich guy or someone who was made of money, (As far as I know anyhow, he didnt come across that way) BUT given the current state of flatland and how hard it is with top pros struggling and such, Josh showed up there with a cashiers check from his bank for $25,000 of his own money and tried to donate it to Scott O'Brien. Yes $25,000. I saw it with my own eyes. He used his donation as an invitation to try and get other riders to donate something,anything, as well. In the end, Scott wouldnt take the money, but that doesnt change what Josh tried to do for the sport he loved so much.

My condolences go out to his family and friends. I dont get sad very often. Im truly truly saddened tonight though.

RIP Josh
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:27:49 AM by MIKE EVANS »
Formerly Known As Back4Good. (all the talk about people hiding behind screen names prompted me to change.)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:45:44 AM »
This is absolutely unbelievable to hear. I know Josh's friends will speak up as to what a genuine and nice guy as well as a talented rider he was, but for those who didnt know him, this will probably floor you:

Last time I saw Josh was at Voodoo 2009. He wasnt a rich guy or someone who was made of money, (As far as I know anyhow, he didnt come across that way) BUT given the current state of flatland and how hard it is with top pros struggling and such, Josh showed up there with a cashiers check from his bank for $25,000 of his own money and tried to donate it to Scott O'Brien. Yes $25,000. I saw it with my own eyes. He used his donation as an invitation to try and get other riders to donate something,anything, as well. In the end, Scott wouldnt take the money, at least thats what I was told (I deeply respect you for that Scott) but that doesnt change what Josh tried to do for the sport he loved so much.

My condolences go out to his family and friends. I dont get sad very often. Im truly truly saddened tonight though.

RIP Josh

I completely forgot about that. Josh really did do this. he was ready to give up 25 THOUSAND dollars of his own money and put it into that contest.

I don't know of a single rider who has done anything like that.

Offline MIKE EVANS

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »

Last time I saw Josh was at Voodoo 2009. He wasnt a rich guy or someone who was made of money, (As far as I know anyhow, he didnt come across that way) BUT given the current state of flatland and how hard it is with top pros struggling and such, Josh showed up there with a cashiers check from his bank for $25,000 of his own money and tried to donate it to Scott O'Brien. Yes $25,000. I saw it with my own eyes. He used his donation as an invitation to try and get other riders to donate something,anything, as well. In the end, Scott wouldnt take the money,  but that doesnt change what Josh tried to do for the sport he loved so much.

RIP Josh

I completely forgot about that. Josh really did do this. he was ready to give up 25 THOUSAND dollars of his own money and put it into that contest.

I don't know of a single rider who has done anything like that.
None that Ive ever heard of either. This was the one and only time I got to hang out and talk with him in person. My first and last Voodoo Jam ever and my time around Josh has been one of the greatest memories I have from that weekend. Thats what kind of guy Josh was. One weekend and a lifelong never ending impression on me. I only wish I could have had more memories to share.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:28:27 AM by MIKE EVANS »
Formerly Known As Back4Good. (all the talk about people hiding behind screen names prompted me to change.)

Offline hate5six

• Hitchhiker
    • hate5six.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »
Here are my thoughts that I posted to FB earlier tonight (some of it already mentioned by others):

Tonight I learned that Josh King passed away. I had the distinct pleasure of riding with Josh a few times while I lived in Virginia from 2008-2009.

His front wheel links were elegant. That's the only way I can describe it. It seemed like a joke to him. The way he manipulated the bike was flawless and is something every flatland rider strives for but never, ever achieves. I also remember wanting to call it a day when he started doing some back wheel links that I had no idea were in his repertoire.

Although he wasn't too consistent the few times we rode, his level of riding was surreal. He can be seen on the green bike at York 2009:
York Jam 2009
I regret not filming our few small sessions together.

He was one of the most dedicated riders I had ever met. I knew he had suffered from some chronic illness, but it didn't seem to stop him. He always seemed to be in so much pain when he rode--it was almost palpable. But he didn't care. He would throw on his headphones just like every other god damn seclusionist flatland rider and try his links over and over and over ad infinitum. He loved to ride. He loved meeting and riding with people of any skill level.

He loved flatland.

I remember shortly after the Voodoo contest in 2009, Josh posted the following story on Facebook  [I've changed some names] that he later deleted. I saved it for posterity because I was so moved; his intentions were so genuine, so sincere. It underscored everything I have not done or considered with respect to paying my dues to a community that has facilitated my growth. There are certainly problems within the flatland community, and Josh recognized that. He wanted to do his part to rectify them.

Josh King loved flatland. This was his desire to give back to a community that he loved.

"Basically, I came to New Orleans with a $25,000 cashier's check in hand hoping to give it back to Flatland in some way, shape, or form. I'm entirely naive and stupid about finances. I've avoided it all my life, because it's a world I hate. The bank told me that if I went to any other bank in New Orleans I could cash it no problems... Wrong. So, that kinda sucked. Didn't want to risk carrying the cash on hand. Too risky and dangerous.

What I did to Bob and Joe was completely unfair. I didn't have enough time between work and finding time to ride to make the right preparations. Just pretty much sprung it on them there at Voodoo. At first, I wanted to do it anonymously, but things weren't working out so I felt as if I had to step up. Just a lot of miscommunication going on between Bob, Joe, and I. Bob told me to talk to Joe, and it seemed like I got his blessing, but then I went back to Bob and got a no go. He told me that handing the money out freely to the riders is like saying a big 'f*ck You' to the sponsors handing out the cash. Which I agree, it is. Just wish I would've known about that sooner...

The intentions were to hand 11k to the riders in the Pro class evenly distributed, 10k to Katrina Victims, 1k to Richard Zabzdyr's family, 1k to Colin Winkelmann's family, 1k to Paul Palmer's family, and 1k to Stephan Murray. All individuals who have impacted my life and inspired me. Flatland and BMX has given me a reason to live for the past 15 years. Just a means to accomplish something when the world kept digging a grave for me. BMX/Alternative sports has always been the only community I've ever felt any similance or an attachment to. I've spent the past twenty-eight years of my life alone. Anyone who's close to me knows that. I've spent nearly the last decade in agonizing physical pain. I got a job 3 years ago for the first time. I needed to, because my health was deteriorating too fast. Tumor on the side of my face and an ache in my legs that doesn't go away ever (aside from the few weeks prior to Voodoo).

I conserved all my energy before that time to simply ride my bike at night. It was killing me that I couldn't help my parents out more. Just a vegetable absorbing light and water during the day.

Work is such a contradiction. I made a promise to my parents when I graduated High School... I told them to give me 2 years to do something with my riding and then they could kick me out or do whatever they willed with me... Then again, I also made a promise to myself when I was in school that I would never get a profession unless it revolved around riding... 2 years passed and my parents never kicked me out or forced me to stop riding my bike. So I moved with them to Viriginia and then the pain started... I think I've finally accepted that my job was/is a means to give back to myself and riding. So, to answer the question as to where the funds came from? There's your answer.

The majority of my life savings in the time period I've had a job. I was saving up to buy a house, but that's less important than showing my gratitude.

I just came to New Orleans with the intentions to help out the people I care about. I really didn't want to do it alone so I was trying to seek help in the end. I just wanted to make a ripple. Together we're a giant wave... This was my only way of creating perpetual motion. Self-sustaining and self-sufficient. A union like fusion... I'm sick and weary of fighting. If Flatlanders want to battle, than be an Army of Goodness and take on the World. That's the way to promote. I've seen the good they can do and I know it's possible.

I gave Bob a check for $25k and one for $15k during the time I was there. I told him to use the latter one for next year's Voodoo at the end. He better cash it! Don't let my attempts go in vein and be meaningless.

I don't want to see anyone ignored, forgotten, struggle, or suffer."

It saddens me that only now, after about 4 months, am I learning of Josh's passing. Josh, you will not be ignored or forgotten. Your dedication and heart inspired me. I am sincerely thankful to have been able to ride with you. You were naturally gifted in a sport that is often overlooked and frowned upon.

Whether or not you knew Josh is irrelevant. He rode flatland and loved our sport.

http://obituaries.timescommunity.com/SS/Page.aspx?sstarg&facing=false&secid=95647&adid=2265073
Quote from: PinkY_DollY
Quote from: Flatride
because the guy will never change, he is phuked up by nature.

About what you speak? What Phuket?! Phuket is in Thailand, and my sweet bzeke in Russia!

Offline Limited

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »
My condolences...I met him at Voodoo Jam when i was pretty young. He was a pretty cool guy.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »
I can't believe he's gone. I was with him at Voodoo when he pulled out the check and told me his plan to donate. My heart swelled. I didn't know him well enough and for that, I'm sorry. He was a good dude.

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
I never really knew Josh besides talking to him a little bit at a York Jam, but reading this really lets me know who he was! Sounds like he was a great person - very sad news.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
I never knew the dude but this really breaks my heart to read this...Rest in Peace Josh. :-(