Author Topic: BB Installation 101  (Read 9443 times)

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
BB Installation 101
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »
euro and mid, but installing a spanish BB is the same as a mid BB
[youtube]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=itA3CTbQqgk[/youtube]

shimano style BB:

Right,

The cup on the LEFT hand side of the screen (the one with the edge on it) will screw into your frame on the DRIVE side. It will need to be screwed in ANTI-CLOCKWISE. Tighten it up good.

Now put the crank axle half-way through the DRIVE side that has been installed. Use this to slot the spacer (the tube under the cup in the pic) onto and hold it in place while you install the other side. (the spacer MUST go i between the bearings, dont leave it out.

Now take the other cup and screw it into the NON-DRIVE SIDE of your frame. It will go in CLOCKWISE (normal thread). Screw it in until it is tight against the spacer on the inside of the BB.

Lastly take the ring with notches cut in it and screw it onto the remaining threads on the cup you have just installed. Lock it tight against the BB shell of your frame. This will help keep the whole thing tight. 

The rest are just spacers to space the cranks from the frame.

-_-

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
Re: BB Installation 101
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:59:22 PM »
removing spanish, mid or plastic BB's:
Yeti sent me these photos 6 months ago.

havok

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »
will this work for usa bb?
i have a stylus.
thanx

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:07:05 AM »
yes. if it still has the 1pc cranks it can be a bitch to get those cups out.
I needed to really smack it and not tap  :rolleyes:

havok

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »
thanks.

yes, they were hard to get out.
i didn't want them to be threaded with me banging on them.  :beer: :beer: ;D

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
The Devolution of Bottom Brackets

http://assblasters.org/?p=348
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline DJspeed128

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:30:19 AM »
How should i go about removing my one piece crank on my KHE Militiant AM? what tools will i need, and is it worth taking the one peice off to replace it with profile cranks? or should i wait till i get a new frame first?

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:54:47 AM »
How should i go about removing my one piece crank on my KHE Militiant AM? what tools will i need, and is it worth taking the one peice off to replace it with profile cranks? or should i wait till i get a new frame first?
hammer and socket extension. just like the pics above, but you will have to hit harder  ;D

Evil_Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 01:02:08 AM »
The euro brackets are easy to get the spacer the right length, but I -always- have to grind spacers on mid and spanish bottom brackets.  With that said -

How are you guys getting the spacer the right length on mid and spanish bottom brackets?  Because of the lip inside of the frame and the fact that (when properly done) the bearings sit inside the frame a little bit, you can't just hold the sh*t up to the frame as with euro bottom brackets, because the bearings don't sit flush with the outside of the bottom bracket tube on the frame.

The way I currently do it is: install one bearing.  Put the spindle in and put the spacer on the spindle.  Then I use a small straight edge across the lip in the frame and use that to get the spacer the right length by trial and error.  It sucks because it takes too long and doesn't always come out 100% accurate.

Somebody fill me in on your technique, I'm tired of doing it my way.... 

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »
The reason each side is threaded differently is so they don't become loose.