Author Topic: tail whip tips please?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline jake the ginger kid

tail whip tips please?
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:23:56 AM »
Hey, ive been working on the tail whip for a few weeks now and just cant get the ride out perfected....do you use the front break at all during the tail whip?

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
Re: tail whip tips please?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »
Ya I use a brake thru the whole trick. Big thing is keeping your weight over the bars so you can hold the bike up a bit to spin the back end around.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 01:22:05 PM »
I learned them with both brakes.

You hit the front brake while you are putting your right foot on the top of the front tire, between the forks and the tire. With your left foot you kick the back end of the bike around. When the bike gets 270 degrees put your left foot on the top tube back at the seat post and clamp down on the rear brake, this way you can rock the bike back off the front wheel and then using the momentum that you are creating let the bike come back down to both wheels and release both brakes, and the bike will start to roll forwards, find the pedal and ride off.

As you get better you will be able to let the bike go 360 all the way around, but when learning it is easier to just do a 270, which puts you in a "trackstand" position, which is pretty easy to ride out.

no get out there and practice...

good luck.

Offline fatboy73

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:39:45 PM »
ive been doing tailwjips for a whole week now so obviously this puts me in the position where i can tell u how to do this trick that ive required into my repuituor of all 6 of my tricks :rolleyes:
i find it easy if u hold the back brake all the way around that way sumthin happens at least on my bike where it spins around for me eeasier and it maeks it a lot easier to pull out when u land :ph34r:
if ur parents never had children chances arew u wont either

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:47:28 PM »
make a quick little circular motion with your arms to help speed up the whip

brakes help a lot at first but are really not necessary.  Your foot jammed in the front tire should keep the front end sturdy and if you get to a pedal fast enough at the end you shouldn't need to hit the back brake.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 07:50:38 PM »
i actually learned these totaly brakeless.... it wasn't that much harder than with brakes... but anyway.... you really have to center yourself over the tire, and (assuming your right handed) your left leg should be out to the side, ready to catch the frame, and also hellping with balance... and as alreday said, you can use your arms to help whip the frame around.

blindingsun

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 07:54:43 PM »
learn them brakeless ;D

Offline CanadianFlat

• Hitchhiker
  • ..."But you can't do a backflip?"
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 09:04:33 PM »
breakless is was seperates a tailwhip from a whiplash..I always thought.
-Matt

Offline slmgringo

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 09:45:45 PM »
"breakless is was seperates a tailwhip from a whiplash..I always thought."

i think u can do a footjam tailwhip breakless. what seperates it is you are rolling during the whiplash.

ive been workin my tailwhips recently and have also found that if i make a real conscious effort to kick the frame w/ my left foot (aftet jamming the right foot) it really helps get the frame around quick, which minimizes the time you have to balance over the bars.