Poll

Would you be interested in this design if it was offered on frames?

Yes
Maybe, not sure how it really works.
No

Author Topic: BYKE XNT Dropout Technology (Flatland edition)  (Read 4807 times)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
Re: BYKE XNT Dropout Technology (Flatland edition)
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
Me personally I have never bent dropouts,  maybe I am not that hardcore of rider either.
But how will these dropouts hold up to several bunny hop wiplash tricks? <- don't know the name

Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »
I voted no!

Signed,

Chad Johnston

byke

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
Mark, do you think that the 7 mm range is enough to set the chain tension?

Also, rotating the peg is going to slightly affect the HT angle, right?

Anyway, I like the clean design!
I am super tired this evening .... so please take this as a loose reply.

Yes fully,
a half link distance is approx. 6mm.

Rotating the peg technically could change the HA, however since its only approx. 3mm at the largest part .... the difference it will make will be unnoticeable especially since there are no standards in fork heights, rules on tire shapes etc ... and 3mm at max is so small the difference could be similar in difference to tire pressure etc.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:46:39 PM by byke »

byke

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »
Me personally I have never bent dropouts,  maybe I am not that hardcore of rider either.
But how will these dropouts hold up to several bunny hop wiplash tricks? <- don't know the name

The dropout design is as strong as frame makers want to make it.
basically the only difference is that the hole shape is different and if frame makers want to make super fat or super thin dropouts its up to them.

Since these dropouts are so small as the material is directly in the place it needs to be, I would like to see frame makers use 1/4" (aka 6mm) thick as it would allow them to be super strong and still super light.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »
Hello Mark,
It's a very interesting idea but I am not sure that XNT concept can beat these two others that show less inconveniences in term of pegs choice, dropout aesthetic (and cost probably) :

Taper Lock patent dropouts.
lot of informations here : http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=42770.0
You can still use the peg of your choice, tested by Zion Bike, a well known company. And apparently, it's cheap.

a concept by A Bad Thing using a "snail washer" (used for longtime on trial bikes) placed between the dropout and the peg,
watch this pic to get it
(but forget the cap concept, it could be a mess when you don't think about keeping your bike far from the ground when you fall when riding flatland with your bike : read the post here to know what I mean).
There is one thing to do on the frame dropouts : drill a little hole and tap it, then place a little screw on the hole in order to get the head of the screw as a stop for the "snail washer".  I don't have a pic to clear that but I think it's understandable after watching the precedent pic.
I suppose all the A Bad Thing frames have these two little tapered holes, actually as far as I am concerned all the ones I have watched carefully there since 2007 got these holes. For example here
I suppose all of that is ultra cheap to make.
And that concept works good.
And I saw prototype peg that incorporated the snail, I mean the peg was machined with the snail design in it, that's interesting as well but I would prefer to use a "snail washer" to still use my old pegs.

Something else :
I feel there could be one little danger with the XNT concept : if you have the two pegs concerning by the concept, you have to be careful to rotate them in the same direction, if not you can damage maybe the axle wheel or the dropouts after tightening the wheel and riding the bike.
Let me know if I missed something please

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:30:17 PM by Revig »

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »
It's an interesting idea. Actually you found a way to do it from the rear. I have been toying with the idea a bit myself, but I had always thought of it from the direction of an offset crank spindle and rotating the bottom bracket.

Still I think your solution asks too much. Not only are you asking frame makers to adapt it on the drop out, but your asking peg manufacturers to change their pegs too. I think you might be able to get way with one, but not both and both are an uphill battle on their own.

The peg adapter is a good idea albeit not a clean one. For one your requiring a pretty big modification for the average person and there is no way you can guarantee it will work for all pegs (I can see colony pegs being a problem for instance).

Ultimately I don't think it cures the problem of chain loosening. The reason chains loosen is that the peg and axel slide in the drop out.  Your solution doesn't solve that issue. Albeit it changes the way it can slip from a linear one to one that is rotational, but it is still the same problem. If the wheel or peg slips, the chain comes loose.

The idea I came up with didn't change the issue either. I was thinking why not clamp the peg to the frame like a stem on each side (but muuuuuch thinner. Say 6mm wide). Then have the axel hole on the pegs be offset by 7mm. That would fix the issue and be clean, but it has the same issue: Your asking the frame AND peg manufacturers to BOTH change (although offsetting the hole on a peg is a lot less to ask than machining them with a tensioning nub). But it has even bigger problems. If you had a frame with a drop out that has half a circle to fit the peg, that one side would have to be threaded to accept at least two bolts for the clamp on the other side that holds the peg. What if those strip or even worse what if a bolt breaks in the hole? All of a sudden your frame is hosed.

I don't know man. Its a tough issue. I think that slammers have come the closest to fixing the issue, but it is a pain in the a$$ because you have to have one that is absolutely perfect for your set up.

Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement