Author Topic: Zion Focus frame - COMING SOON !  (Read 47890 times)

Offline escapefrombmx

• Backpacker
Re: Zion Focus frame - COMING SOON !
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2011, 03:35:11 PM »
how thick are the dropouts on the very end of it?

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2011, 03:45:07 AM »
There is too much friction between the metal to allow the wheel moving back in the dropouts as you tighten - you still apply the tension yourself. (From what i understand)

The wedges stop the wheel from moving forward, as the nut on the thread prevets the dropouts from widening the fraction of a milimeter that they need to in order to move forward.

The chain stops the wheel from moving back due to its finite length. Of course you'll have to tighten again due to chain stretch, but thats the same with any solution.

This solution basically just stops the wheel from moving forward, thus keeping the distance you set the wheel - eliminating the use of tensioners. You just have to set the tension yourself by pulling back on the wheel as you do it up.

From what I understand, anyway.

possibly so EZ, i to was thinking the degrees on the wedges are so small there may still be too much friction to remove the wheel even without the chain, and yea you'd still have to pull the wheel back yourself to tension the chain. neat idea, i guess we'll see how well they work for people. i would imagine Zion did some RD before they decided to spit frames out.

peace EZ

Offline indyBarber73

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »
Please tell me you have a pic or two of one all painted black i've seen sam's bike would like to just see frame.I'm really excited about getting this frame I feel like a 5yr old on Christmas Eve!!!!Just playing the waiting game for FF to receive and it's mine all mine. thanks Chris Armstrong

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2011, 09:43:22 AM »
Well, here it is !!

Final weight of the frame is 2,33 kg (5,15 lbs) . This probably makes it the heaviest modern flatland frame , but this is exactly what Sam Foakes wants from his signature frame and he is super stoked about this final weight.

As for strength, you know that Sam still didn't manage to break his Focus prototype (it will soon be almost 2 years of testing), so with this extra weight we added I can honestly say that it is "bulletproof" , which is exactly what flatland needs these days.

I'm sure that there will be haters that will have a lot to say about this issue, but you and I both know that they only make a small part of flatland scene.

It is really simple, if you're looking for a lightweight , trendy flatland frame that you almost expect to crack in few months,  you have a lot to choose from and this is definitely not a frame for you.

But if you're looking for a heavier and stronger frame, something that will last you no matter how you ride it and abuse it, flatland market doesn't really offer you many choices.
Focus frame is for you guys.

I would really like to hear your comments about this issue,

Specs of the frame are explained on the first page of this topic , so you can read them there.

There are only 2 visual differences between this final look and what prototype looked like. 

1. Both toptube and downtube radius was just slightly increased.
2. CS and SS bridges tubes are bigger diameter.

Here is a first photo, enjoy

...riding on the road to Zion...

byke

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2011, 09:50:06 AM »
Final weight of the frame is 2,33 kg (5,15 lbs) . This probably makes it the heaviest modern flatland frame

I'm sure that there will be haters that will have a lot to say about this issue

I cant see why anyone would be "hatin" (boy i really hate that expression) and while the frame isn't for me, it does offer something different to the market ... and for that I commend you.

The frame I am on right now is 2.1kg (without paint) - so 2.3 doesn't sound too bad at all.

Offline Wouter van der Linde

• GF Inhabitant
    • Dutchflatland
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
Its about 600 grams heavier then modern frames...
What is 600 grams? like nothing! So much parts on your bike that you can change to get that 600 grams back! :)

I dig this frame!

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
5 is not that much when you conisder most are around the 4.5 mark anyway. tho im not sure how it'll effect sales.... people like to get up on numbers.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2011, 01:31:28 PM »
what the fck is wrong with this picture? is the scale even plugged in?

dude youve got to be kidding me, youre advertising your frame on here and you dont have the sense to make it look nice.

seriously 5.15 lbs? you just shot your self in the foot. look im sure its a badass frame and all and really strong but seriously, most street frames weigh less.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »
scale has batteries .

this is first photo that I received from Taiwan , just after painting process. Of course you can't expect it to be a beautiful studio white background photo made 5 minutes after frame dried out.
There are many people who were eager to see what it turned out and those guys will not mind that there is tea and lemons in the background, hehe.

As I said , this frame is not for everyone. You have to open your mind a bit and realize that not everyone wants exactly what you want.

Sam Foakes bases his riding on a heavy frame with heavy parts and he wanted his frame to be like this.
You're right about street frames, you have a new Zion Soul frame that is the strongest street frame we ever made and it is 2.25 kg and can stand any kind of street abuse.

You do realize that Focus prototype Sam rode had 2050 grams and Sam never cracked it. But he wanted to make it heavier, specially in the lower part of the frame. And that is what we did for this final version.

If you ever rode a heavier bike for flatland you know that it reacts completely different than a superlightweight bike ( easier to balance, keeps your momentum better ...) and if you know how to use this it is a really strong weapon.  And there are so many riders what miss this on modern bikes.
Don't get me wrong, a light bike offers many other advantages for your riding but it is up to you to choose what you want. I just offered you another choice.

I think Sam's riding talks for itself so if I trust him to the fullest and I'm willing to risk my money and invest in production of a 2.33 kg frame when almost all other frames are at least 0.5 kg lighter , why can't you just open your mind to a fact that this is exactly what some frame buyers are looking for.
...riding on the road to Zion...

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2011, 03:04:28 PM »
when will they come with mounts?????
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline indyBarber73

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
Thank You,everything about that frame is the sh*t been waiting for 2yrs for this, come on Pat at FF

Offline Mr. Acid Green

• Backpacker
  • beware of the TROLL.
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »
really is not that heavy... ( maybe for those using 1.5kg frames)    i think is a good thing what Zion is doing here giving more lifetime to a frame , and not using bullsh*t statments like  '' oh low tt cant stand the abuse''..

what i find awesome in this frame is that you can have all modern specs , integrated headset , tappered stays , low tt and still have strength to not crack or bend in a few months.

GOOD WORK ZION.

please dont set yourself on fire.

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »
Thank You,everything about that frame is the sh*t been waiting for 2yrs for this, come on Pat at FF

they are coming. Probably 4-6 weeks.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2011, 05:53:00 AM »
right on, Zion. let the gram counters complain. it's good to see a stout frame on the market that can last over a year.

Offline ross636

• Backpacker
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2011, 06:53:05 AM »
well i like this and it is nice to have options. job well done !!