Author Topic: Zion Focus frame - COMING SOON !  (Read 47699 times)

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Zion Focus frame - COMING SOON !
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »
furball doesnt get this concept. its really is *that simple* lmao. I love the idea of those chain tensioner things. get on patenting this and sell it to everyone else in bmx!
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »
yep , that's it .

Ecxept Stolen didn't mention it is not their idea, hehe.
It has been designed by a bmx/mtb rider from Taiwan. He was smart enough to apply for patent so now he gets royalties for all frames that use it.
...riding on the road to Zion...

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »
seat tube is 25.4mm i suppose?

my inertia came with a 27.2mm surprise, which is nice tho cause I run a nice light alloy mtb post

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 05:41:39 PM »
yep, seattube is 25.4mm

Also Spanish BB and Integrated Headset

?uest

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 06:06:41 PM »
yep , that's it .

Except Stolen didn't mention it is not their idea, hehe.

lol
what do you expect from a company named "Stolen"

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 06:09:51 PM »
Interesting system.  Jugs seems totally lost haha.

One thing though, which I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet.

If the thickness of the channel is 2.5mm on one end, and 4.5mm one the other, that's a 1.5mm difference, and with both drop outs, that makes a difference of 3mm combined.

A lot of riders avoid having to squeeze the back end/forks, by ensuring that they use the correct amount of washers/spacers.

With this system, there's no real way to accommodate for the correct amount of spacing, as it will never be consistent.

I know 3mm isn't much, and that's the worst case scenario, but just something that jumped out at me upon first impression.

Not attacking the idea, as I think its very interesting, and a simple solution to chain tensioning.  Mislav, have you guys had any trouble with this?

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »
I understand what you say.  But it is actually half of what you calculated. Difference is only 1.5mm

It is because wheel can only go back and forth cca half an inch which is approx half of the washer diameter.

And honestly every frame can stand that much flex.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »

WOow, everything there can make think that it will be a great product but
Sam Foakes is missing something with choosing that color,
nowadays, the  fashionable black is not the sparkling black but the matt black !
 :P :)

(Yeah I know Sam Foakes is known to not follow the trend - and that's a good thing ! :beer: - )

Something else :
after reading that Ridebmx article Stuntnuts posted, I wonder why since 2009 a lot of others frame makers didn't use that dropout concept that seems very smart. How long did you test it on street frames ? Any problem at all ? (maybe it's expensive ? but that's really not my business). I am just curious and not attacking the idea as well.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
Not very stoked on the shorter top tube. I understand your reasoning, but the room will still be lost regardless of how the HT/ST angles apply. I'm on 74 right now with 19.2 and I like it, and I couldn't see going shorter.

Offline Hatebreeder

• Backpacker
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
No option for mounts huh?

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »

WOow, everything there can make think that it will be a great product but
Sam Foakes is missing something with choosing that color,
nowadays, the  fashionable black is not the sparkling black but the matt black !
 :P :)

(Yeah I know Sam Foakes is known to not follow the trend - and that's a good thing ! :beer: - )

Something else :
after reading that Ridebmx article Stuntnuts posted, I wonder why since 2009 a lot of others frame makers didn't use that dropout concept that seems very smart. How long did you test it on street frames ? Any problem at all ? (maybe it's expensive ? but that's really not my business). I am just curious and not attacking the idea as well.

It's a signature frame and that is the color that Sam wants.  Its a beautiful color and it sure wont be a reason for someone not to buy this frame, hehe.

I've been testing Taper Lock for a year and it is really amazing.
The reason why not many bmx companies didn't pick up this idea is simple. Originally the inventor designed it with this tapered area on the outer side of dropout. But that way it only works good if you don't have pegs. If you run pegs your axle will bend easily.
You can also see this on those Stolen frames. Taper Lock is on outer side of dropout. This sucks.

Zion was the first company that changed it and put the whole taper lock system on the inner side of the dropout so you can run pegs as on any other frame. I also had to make the distance between dropouts a bit bigger so you can fit those taper lock washers.

Street riders on my team have been riding it this whole year and they didn't have a single problem with it. System is amazing.

And its not expensive at all. I could even say its fairly cheap.

Not very stoked on the shorter top tube. I understand your reasoning, but the room will still be lost regardless of how the HT/ST angles apply. I'm on 74 right now with 19.2 and I like it, and I couldn't see going shorter.

I understand you , but there is absolutely no way that one frame can suit every rider out there. You say its too short for you and most of riders in Japan will say its too long for them. But this is a signature frame and it is produced in the size that best fits Sam Foakes.

For this first production we only produced one size. And after we see how riders react to it we may introduce more sizes in the future.

No option for mounts huh?

Sorry, but no option for brake mounts on this first batch.

Offline Malo

• Backpacker
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »
With this system, there's no real way to accommodate for the correct amount of spacing, as it will never be consistent.

There' no problem if the washer is oriented outside and I think these dropouts have been designed that way. The distance between the dropouts will stay the same. It's a really good and simple idea.
The website is down but you can visit my profile on facebook :
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Pir.Malo

pir.bmx@gmail.com

Phatman

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »
Will there be a CS dimple like your older frames? Please say no!

Offline Zion Bike Co.

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • www.zionbmx.com
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 01:26:35 AM »
No , hehe

But I don't know why this dent ever bothered you. Have you ever heard about frame cracking in that area ? It just gives you an option to run bigger sprockets.