Author Topic: Flatwares vs Suelos  (Read 5934 times)

Offline The End

• Backpacker
Flatwares vs Suelos
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:04:21 AM »
Hey,

So I'm still up just finishing off this essay, but also realised that I'm in need of some new grips as mine are tearing. Just wanted some peoples' opinions on these two differing grips!

I'm just curious about peoples' experiences with either or both grips. Does the fat end of the Thumbtacks really help? Or is it more a placebo-y gimmick? Tubos comfy on the other hand? How's the wear rate of the Tubos? That's one thing that comes to mind when just looking at how skimpy thin they are! Tear, and post-ride residue left on palms are just some other small things I'm looking at. They are just grips at the end of the day, but I want to spend £10 on a set that I'll be happiest with for in the long run.

If I ran Tubos, I'll of course just cut it in half and have it loop around the bar curves.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:01:01 AM by The End »

Phatman

Re: Flatwares vs Suelos
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »
Flatwares are really comfy, havent used the suelos so i cant comment but the flatwares are lovely.

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
I asked Chase once if there seemed to be a residue on your hands after riding (such as my odi grips do) and I never got a straight answer of Yes or No. 

I probably won't need grips anytime soon, but was always curious. (Anyone?) 

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
get primo mushroom ones or animal erwin there both really comfy !
Keep it flat!

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
My ODI's ooze a residue very similar to a pine tar. Mainly on the insides, but shows up as black balls on the outside. *Newer versions in lime green*

Offline NOpurpoSE

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:08:13 PM »
I rode through 3 sets of the Suelos because I really like the feel. I would always cut them in what amounted to 3 pieces I guess, and after a while the left grip would start to slip away from the bar end. So at that point I would take the grip off, clean the inside with rubbing alcohol (bars too) and then put it back on using hairspray. Also, I run my brake lever a tad loose on the handlebar, the idea being that when it slams, the lever will just move on the bar instead of breaking. Its an old dirt bike trick that has stuck with me. That being said, my lever always seems to work its way lower on the bars. I'm sure this doesn't help to keep the grip in place, although on the right side, where I don't have a lever, I never have grip problems, but I'm sure that has more to do with the tricks I'm currently doing. They wear at normal rate I suppose. I ride on average, about two hours every other day, sometimes every day. Can't really remember, but I'd say that I have gotten 3 months at least out of them.

Right now I'm rocking the Flatware grips in black. Have been riding them for about a month, with minimal signs of wear. I kind of like the knob because it reminds me of the end of a hockey stick. It's definitely something more to grab than say, not having a knob at all. But at the same time I feel like I'm forced to grab it a certain way while doing certain tricks. They're softer and more comfortable than the Suelos for sure, and I haven't had any issue with residue coming off.

Once the Flatwares are worn out, I will most likely be going back to the Suelos.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Phatman

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:38:49 PM »
One grip i forgot to reccomend, Proper Team grips! They have a longneck feel to them but are a little softer. They're a great.

katobmx

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »
I asked Chase once if there seemed to be a residue on your hands after riding (such as my odi grips do) and I never got a straight answer of Yes or No. 

I probably won't need grips anytime soon, but was always curious. (Anyone?) 
There isn't but for some reason My hand seat accumilates and makes the grips slippy but besides that they feel the same as ODI's. Odi's leave a residue. And Suelos hurt my hands on landing's etc...they really didnt even last that long. out of the 3 I think suelos are the worst out of the 3(not that they are awful or anything).

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
"There isn't but for some reason My hand seat accumilates and makes the grips slippy but besides that they feel the same as ODI's. "

Use johnsons' baby powder.  You need very little.   I think I'm almost out of the little $1 trial size I have in my bag, and I bought that last jan-feb (?). 

Offline devin

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 04:17:42 AM »
I used the Flatwares for the first time tonight, I really like the rubber knob, I just wish they were just a tad bit longer.

Offline froghammer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 04:38:47 AM »
I kind of like the knob because it reminds me of the end of a hockey stick. It's definitely something more to grab than say, not having a knob at all.

First off, that's what he said.  ^_^

Seriously though- it sounds like you put the big end at the end of the bar? I'm not saying that's wrong, but it would be the opposite way that most people install them.

Anyway, I really like the Thumbtack grips. But like Devin, I wish they were a little longer as well. Maybe even just a centimeter or so.
It truly is a romance of many dimensions, isn't it?

http://www.froghammer.com

Offline The End

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Flatwares it is for now, luckily they are readily available in the UK unlike Suelos.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 01:34:44 AM »
I ran suelos, they shredded my hands, i ride revenge dakine grips now, much thicker and more comfy.

with the tubo it feels almost like riding gripless they are so low profile

Offline NOpurpoSE

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »
I kind of like the knob because it reminds me of the end of a hockey stick. It's definitely something more to grab than say, not having a knob at all.

First off, that's what he said.  ^_^

Seriously though- it sounds like you put the big end at the end of the bar? I'm not saying that's wrong, but it would be the opposite way that most people install them.

Anyway, I really like the Thumbtack grips. But like Devin, I wish they were a little longer as well. Maybe even just a centimeter or so.

I definitely put the big end at the end of the bar.......

And now I just looked at a picture of them again.........f*ck.

I don't know, it just seemed right. Been riding them for at least a month like that.

I have evil friends. Why didn't anyone tell me!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:18:57 PM by NOpurpoSE »

Offline xBonesx

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »
I got my flatware grips a few months ago and they were a bit slippery after a few days i installed them, but they are great, soft!. my local bmx and skate shop had gotten them for me and i started flat that year and im pretty sure the manager thinks im some rich kid :p i asked which end goes on which, he said " the big thumbtack part goes at the end pointing outside." i was fine with it until yesterday 4 months later i read a topic on here that says the thumbtack park goes inside. a very bad joke. i would like them the other way around so i could test them wit steam rollers or something but my KHE Adamn LT comes in tomorrow so... Eh o well.  ^_^