Author Topic: Front Axle to short?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Lukas @ Innsbruck

• Backpacker
Front Axle to short?
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:54:30 PM »
I put on new Pegs (stolen Thermalite) and they are thick. I run the KHE Studs and my nut is not completely on the axle. It looks like 2/3 of the nut is on the axle. Should i use other pegs or does anyone run it this way without problems?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Front Axle to short?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:57:11 PM »
If you use it like that you can risk stripping the nut...
Are you using any washers/chain tensors?

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »
No it is the front wheel. I looked for longer studs but can not find anyone.
Today you should think that quality pegs and high end hubs should match together ^^

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
lose the studs and use it female style. the hardware store will have an appropriate length bolt for your application.

I think the peg is the prob. should work fine with a jessup or alchemy

I have two different pairs of jessups. One is thiner and the other pair is the same as the stolen. It is strange ^^
I will testride it.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
You probably have the sud in backwards...
One side of the stud is longer than the other, that long side is for the dropout.

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
You probably have the sud in backwards...
One side of the stud is longer than the other, that long side is for the dropout.

I am not an idiot  ;D I know how to maintain a bike or other stuff. Just wanted to know if other people have the same issue and have had problems with it ;)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »
 I had a similar issue with my boys huffy bike wal-mart.  The axles were to short to put st martin pegs on the front.  For that matter could get any pegs on the front.  I can't even find screw on pegs.
Hey Meg...check this out.

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
Lemme talk out of ignorance.

Did you build the wheel? Is it the astral hub?

If the ans is yes and yes, I think I have an ans.  I once heard straight pull hubs were no good for flatland. If so, that hub is designed for steel pegs.  From what I understand, street guys like super short axles.

But this is my ignorant assumption.

I'm thinking (2)3/8"x 6-8cm grade 8 26tpi bolts with Allen heads will cure your woes.

How thick is your dropout?

I would just email khe and pitch a bitch, the supposedly have the best warranty in the biz. i'm sure they will straighten you out..

No it is a geisha fronthub. Flatland Version with 32 spokes. And one of my KHE jessup pair is as thick as the new stolen pegs. I took other nuts. I will see how it holds up

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »
Indeed, i do have the geisha 32h front hub... Running my front pegs with plenty of thread to spare!? Measure from the flat of the stud to the end of the thread..... I will measure mine and if they are the same you know its a peg problem! Ive had D.O.M, Suelo, jessups all on my hub all with washers also hehind the nuts and no problems....

:mellow: