Author Topic: Word to the wise  (Read 13202 times)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Word to the wise
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:09:28 AM »
In 2004 I moved to Richmond to attend Virginia Commonwealth University. I had no idea where any decent riding spots were, so for the first few months I rode in a University parking lot. One evening while I was out riding a cop stopped me and ran my drivers license number to see if I had anything on record, and then asked me to leave with a laugh saying he loved the sh*t I was doing, but that I had to go because it was private property.

Fast forward to now. I applied for a promotion through VCU security and they did a background check. I said that I didn't have a criminal record which was correct, but that officer reported me for "suspicious activity" and it is now permantly on my criminal record, even if only as a blip. I was denied the job on the grounds that I lied on my application, and have been put on probation (within the job, not in a legal sense) because I wasn't forthcoming enough in the application process.

If people stop you, you need to find out whether or not it's going to be added to your record because while I wasn't charged, this was and SIX YEARS LATER, I got f*cked big time. I was really counting on this promotion, and I was the frontrunner, but because of this sh*t, I'm stuck making 7.50 an hour doing what I've been doing. f*ck.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
Re: Word to the wise
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:46:34 AM »
what the hell man  :huh:

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:47:46 AM »
Damn, I just got a raise.....I'm sorry that your past haunts you.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:00:56 AM »
The thing is, it has never come up before in any job that I've applied to in that time. The only reason that it came up was because the job is THROUGH vcu police in a way. They have access to every single thing I've ever said to a cop. Its not even as bad as a parking ticket!

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:24:25 AM »
They may be mistaken about wether or not this constitutes lying on your application. Most applications that I have filled out only asked about arrests and felonies. But I'm not sure if your situation would improve by pushing the issue.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:12:38 AM »
I've known about this for a while. My aunt used to work for the local police department as a dispatcher and i used to get questioned about twice every single night for riding. It was relayed to me that suspicious activity is on my record now as well. It's so retarded that I could hardly believe it myself at first.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 04:35:59 AM »
Sorry to hear. Man that really sux.

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »
it just says suspicious activity? it doesn't specify exactly?
Signing out...

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 06:34:18 AM »
a better question would be, how the f*ck is riding a children's bicycle suspicious activity? whats suspicious about that?
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline Triple6_wild

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 06:45:32 AM »
I did not know they could do that :angry:

When I really can't sleep I go buy a coffee and just randomly drive around at night with the tunes up like anytime between 1-5am. Annoys the hell out of the cops because I'm the only one out and have been found on damn near every street. Not doing anything wrong just don't wanna sit in front of a TV and don't feel like being mugged going on bike/foot. Been stopped like half a dozen times and followed EVERY time they spot me. Hope they can't do it by plate##'s. They only asked for my license randomly twice. Once while I was parked having a smoke and downing my coffee, Once was "Supposedly checking for DUI's as it was a long weekend but he sure as hell was flung his car around dangerously quick when he spotted me.

Looks like I'll have to remember to check my record before applying anywhere.... Otherwise no record.
Driving rec, One 15kph Speeding ticket. One parking ticket. Payed both.

Anyways thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking for work soon  :( Would suck if I missed out on a job for that.

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:51:23 AM »
Man that sucks TJ,but if I were you I would fight it....if you were not arrested meaning there is no misdemeanor or felony then they really can't use that against you...legally speaking.
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline BMXTRIX

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 06:51:54 AM »
The follow up question is on what grounds did the police officer have a right to question you in the first place and to put such note on any records whatsoever without specific instruction from the owner of that private properly.

I've run into cops who have asked me to leave spaces before and I've asked them (politely) on what grounds?  If they say it is private property, I've then asked if they have received proper notification from the owner of that property, or a person who is authorized by the owner for making such decisions?

Sometimes it has worked, sometimes not - I have always tried to be polite.

But, schools can be different because, as it apears to be the case, your school contracts through the police.

I would formally, follow up with the police and request the record and to have it removed under false information or poor pretense as inaccurate information, much like a bad mark on your credit report.  It is NOT accurate, and is a lie about your character which has now impacted your career and financial situation.

Potentially, this is something that you could take to court.

I'm not a fan of cops, but irresponsible cops who can't think for themselves are ridiculous.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
I would have this expunged from my record, but it's not on any official record. VCU security is through VCU police, so if they ever stopped me and asked to see my ID, there is a record of it the same way there's a record of someone doing pretty much anything in the modern world. It's not a criminal record, or a police record, but it's on record for them simply to just say "well, this happened, but nothing came of it."

Basically, I cannot do anything about it, and I have lost out on pretty much the only new job opportunity I've been able to find in Richmond in the last one year and 6 months.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
Sorry to hear about that, TJ. It's pretty disturbing that there really was no way to know that sh*t was sitting there all this time.

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
  • Beginner rider / 7 months
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
Man, that's so messed up.  They absolutely should not be able to use that against you if nothing ever came of it.  It's a judgment call and a police officer is not a judge.  Man this pisses me off.
It's not about the bike. - Lance Armstrong