Author Topic: Squeaky Breaks  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Parcho

Squeaky Breaks
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:49:41 AM »
I'm having a problem with a squeaky front break.  I typically don't care but I've been riding in my complex's tennis court and its loud enough to hear it 2 buildings down, indoors.

I'm using Diatech Hombre break pads, new, with chrome rims.  Also, everything is pretty well lubricated / greased.  I know chrome rims have a tendency to squeak more than normal but I sanded the pads pretty well, which stopped the squeak on feathering, but not when I break fully.  I also tried toeing in the pads a hair but that didn't really do anything.  I did use a small bit of windex on the rims to clean them up a bit but I whiped them down pretty good with water after.  Hombre's aren't my personal fav pad, bit to stiff.  But is it just the typical chrome rim squeak or should I grab a dif pair of pads?  Or is there some other type of trick that I could try.  I'd prefer not to try sanding my rims at all.  Thanks.
Robert

Offline Vijuel

• Backpacker
    • http://www.myspace.com/MADEflatland
Re: Squeaky Breaks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 06:05:31 AM »
dude,  just deal with it, when they sqeak like that it usually means they r working good.
Vijuel...M.A.D.E. Flat

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 11:28:13 AM »
if its really that much of a matter, i noticed that mine doesnt squeak when there is dust on pads/rim...  :rolleyes:

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:15:46 PM »
squeaky brakes are a sign that they are perfect...

Its fun to scare people with them, just ride up behind and pull that front lever. They will jump out of the way!

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 01:44:26 PM »
Welcome to the club

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:56 PM »
DON'T Sand your rims... That would ruin them.

you can get harder pads, they squeak less, if it really bothers you. But softer pads are better.

Offline Dez

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »

Its fun to scare people with them, just ride up behind and pull that front lever. They will jump out of the way!

So im not the only one ;D

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »
Your brakes are probably toed in wrong.  Try to get the brake pads to hit fairly evenly on the rim.  If that doesn't help than its totally possible that your rims and pads might be too clean!  Try dusting them a bit, that should help.  But I bet you its the toeing in. 

Offline Siard

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 08:44:27 PM »

So im not the only one ;D

nope  ;D

Offline Fundamental

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 09:38:48 PM »
Your brakes are probably toed in wrong.  Try to get the brake pads to hit fairly evenly on the rim.  If that doesn't help than its totally possible that your rims and pads might be too clean!  Try dusting them a bit, that should help.  But I bet you its the toeing in. 

That happened to me as well; the pads were hitting the rim at an angle when I pressed the brakes. After straightening them I noticed the noise was not as bad (never been able to completely rid the braking noise on chrome rims). Soft pads on chrome tend to squeal.

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 09:44:12 PM »
Sound is vibration. Something there is vibrating. In my experience, as Fundametal said, its probably the pads not hitting the rim right.

Offline psycho beach

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:45:33 AM »
Front of the pad needs to hit the rim first.

TJ Perry

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 07:46:51 AM »
Just stop listening to autechure when you ride.

I think only me and ciaran will get this.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 12:54:34 PM »
I solved that problem by switching my pads.
I got "old style" soft pads and the squeaking stoped.

ciaran perry

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »
Just stop listening to autechure when you ride.

I think only me and ciaran will get this.
hahaha indeed tj