Author Topic: A beginner, some help would be much appreciated.  (Read 14869 times)

Offline A.Sun

A beginner, some help would be much appreciated.
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
Hey guys,

I really wanted to get into BMXing, and i saw all the different freestyles there are. I thought flatland would be the best for me because I have a tennis court, so I could practice all the time. It also looked pretty sick. So I am new to this, and don't know much about bikes. So if any body could help, I would really appreciate it.
What are some good bikes that are also good for street and cruising around?
I need a bike to get me around town, and also I might try some street. Do any of these look good for what I am talking about? If they don't please recommend me something to ride at a price of around 500.
http://www.danscomp.com/101253.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101797.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101546.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101478.php?cat=BIKES
http://www.danscomp.com/101869.php?cat=BIKES

And, if any one has any tips, they would be much appreciated.

Offline DenisTez BMX

• Hitchhiker
Re: A beginner, some help would be much appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:34:29 AM »
Hey! =)

i posted a similer topic 2 days back http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=36708.0

but.. i got links for real flatland geomety bmxes.. with any other type of bmx it wouldn't be the same :/

maybe you should buy a cheap bmx from a friend or someone you know.. just to see what you really want to do, other wise, you might waste alot of money for a flatland bmx, and see that you dont really like this.. and then again that bmxes aint good for freestyling, and your throwing money away..

have fun.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:36:54 AM by Sixth »
☮☮☮☮☮
☮Peace☮
☮☮☮☮☮

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »
Honestly I would look at the dk opsis and have some $$ left for part upgrades!!!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »
You can't have bike for freestyle / street and flatland. Flat bikes have very different geometry and weight layout, so I'd definitely not buy some hybrid bike. You just have to make a choice, flatland or street ;)

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »
Dude,i think the Opsis is good 4 u.The price is a bang 4 buck and i believe this frame is strong for both flat and street.But might have to upgrade some parts.:)
One Last Ride.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:11:44 PM »
You can't have bike for freestyle / street and flatland. Flat bikes have very different geometry and weight layout, so I'd definitely not buy some hybrid bike. You just have to make a choice, flatland or street ;)
That's one of the most ignorant comments Ive read on GF in a while. FF is full of hybrid frames and the world with hybrid riders.
Start with the Opsis like peeps are suggesting... It should help you to "choose" a direction in your riding.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
That's one of the most ignorant comments Ive read on GF in a while. FF is full of hybrid frames and the world with hybrid riders.
Start with the Opsis like peeps are suggesting... It should help you to "choose" a direction in your riding.
Okay, again.

Hybrid frame will bring your skill somewhat down. When you choose to ride flat or street, you should get straight frame.

Better? I have two friends with hybrid bikes and they both stopped riding, because they decided to go flat and couldn't move from one place. So don't tell me it doesn't metter. Because if it doesn't, everyone would have hybrid frames, so he can ride dirt-street-vent-freestyle-flat.

Also, you don't read GF much then.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »
Okay, again.

Hybrid frame will bring your skill somewhat down. When you choose to ride flat or street, you should get straight frame.

Better? I have two friends with hybrid bikes and they both stopped riding, because they decided to go flat and couldn't move from one place. So don't tell me it doesn't metter. Because if it doesn't, everyone would have hybrid frames, so he can ride dirt-street-vent-freestyle-flat.

Also, you don't read GF much then.
Dude, the guy has not ever ridden. How is he supposed to make a choice?
Let him have the same advantage that your friends had, experience.
I was a dick to you because you made a dick comment that may steer a new guy in the wrong direction.
Oh, I read GF EVERYDAY. I don't watch TV, read newspapers or pretty much anything else. I work, ride, read GF, and care for my kiddo's.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline A.Sun

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 07:29:08 PM »
Okay thanks guys.
I think I am going to stick with flatland, but the only street stuff I wanted to try were some 180s and maybe 360s.
Can any one tell me if flatland bikes are good for getting around?
My parents are paying for this bike so I can get to my friends house's and school.
Any other suggestions for bikes?

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »
Okay thanks guys.
I think I am going to stick with flatland, but the only street stuff I wanted to try were some 180s and maybe 360s.
My parents are paying for this bike so I can get to my friends house's and school.
KHE A-Damn LT (kinda expensive though)
OG Balance 3 (hard to find though)

You can do 180 and 360 without problems (Rockwalk for example)
How to STREET [ Rock walk ] Small | Large

But don't forget to check if bike has both brakes if you want to just Rockwalk around :) - many flatland bikes don't have rear break. If you mean "bunny" 180 and 360, than I don't think it's big difference from street bikes.

If you want to get around the city, I'd suggest to take bike with more tooths on chain disc (I am not sure how it's called in English, but you probably get the idea - http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/796/350__1_GE-BCCW010.jpg - the bigger, the better).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:56:58 PM by MokiCzech »

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
Okay thanks guys.
Opsis will do ya fine.

Just stay away from tiny drivetrains

Offline A.Sun

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »
Okay thanks.
So I guess the KHE A-Damn LT, OG Balance 3 and the Opsis seem like good bikes.
Anyone know of any blue flatland bikes( beside the KHE one)?
Its my favorite color, and I thought it would be sick to have a blue one.
thanks again guys.
EDIT: So flatland bikes are also good for getting around town, and hills?

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »
Well, bike that cannot shift (which is generally every BMX bike) is not really good in gettin' around. But if you choose some bike with reasonable amount of teeth, you won't have any problem. I ride on my GT Finale 08' (there is even 10' model, but I am not sure if it's any good - my 08' sucks) around whole town (~4 kilometers to my riding spot and back) and sometimes to town where my friend lives (~8 kilometers) and I am perfectly okay.

Only blue bike I can think off is that KHE A-Damn. Maybe OG Balance 3 was made in blue, but you won't find it anymore as far as I know.

I know I'll get stoned for this, but if you really know you want to ride flatland, I'd take pure flatland bike - for example KHE. They are somewhat cheap, with amazing geometry and nice weight. Opsis looks really nice, but to me, it really seems to be a bit hybrid. If you want to do only light street tricks (no jumping from stairs etc.), you'll be okay with purely flatland bike and you can unleash its full potential. I chosen hybrid bike back in 2008 (GT Finale 08') and now, it just brings me down. If I could go back in time, I'd definitely buy something more flatland-ish. I knew I was going to stick with flatland back then though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:53:03 PM by MokiCzech »

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 09:24:17 PM »
Well, bike that cannot shift (which is generally every BMX bike) is not really good in gettin' around. But if you choose some bike with reasonable amount of teeth, you won't have any problem. I ride on my GT Finale 08' (there is even 10' model, but I am not sure if it's any good - my 08' sucks) around whole town (~4 kilometers to my riding spot and back) and sometimes to town where my friend lives (~8 kilometers) and I am perfectly okay.

Only blue bike I can think off is that KHE A-Damn. Maybe OG Balance 3 was made in blue, but you won't find it anymore as far as I know.

I know I'll get stoned for this, but if you really know you want to ride flatland, I'd take pure flatland bike - for example KHE. They are somewhat cheap, with amazing geometry and nice weight. Opsis looks really nice, but to me, it really seems to be a bit hybrid. If you want to do only light street tricks (no jumping from stairs etc.), you'll be okay with purely flatland bike and you can unleash its full potential. I chosen hybrid bike back in 2008 (GT Finale 08') and now, it just brings me down. If I could go back in time, I'd definitely buy something more flatland-ish. I knew I was going to stick with flatland back then though.
I will not stone you for that one. It is more opinionated. Not a statement that had no true experience or knowledge behind it.
Ride on!

Offline A.Sun

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 11:00:47 PM »
okay, so how does the KHE A-Damn LT perform for flatland? And just a bit of street?
I think i may want to do some stairs, but not to much. And probably only like 2 or 3 stairs.
And would this bike be good for getting around?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:06:34 PM by A.Sun »