Author Topic: College and Flatland  (Read 5622 times)

Offline clionb

• Funky Chicken
College and Flatland
« on: April 28, 2007, 05:25:27 AM »
Im gonna be a senior next year and its time for me to choose colleges. Im not basing my choice on flatlanders, but which area has the most?

Im gonna look into UCLA, Colombia, Boston, Chicago as well as state colleges here in Florida.

Offline Nlott

• Hitchhiker
Re: College and Flatland
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 07:27:38 AM »
binghamton uni.!
Nolan Lott
Binghamton University

Offline Vijuel

• Backpacker
    • http://www.myspace.com/MADEflatland
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:52:08 AM »
Im gonna be a senior next year and its time for me to choose colleges. Im not basing my choice on flatlanders, but which area has the most?

Im gonna look into UCLA, Colombia, Boston, Chicago as well as state colleges here in Florida.
dawg i suppor u no matter where u go, i know what ur about!  find the best of both worlds.  be happy.
Vijuel...M.A.D.E. Flat

apoirier

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »
Go to school in Canada, and enjoy our six month winters :mellow:

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »
College comes first, don't choose your next school based on wich has the most flatlanders to ride with...

Flatland won't feed you and your offspring in the future and you can ride wherever you are, maybe alone, but flatland is an individual sport anyways...

Offline tranqulized

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 03:19:31 PM »
You should be choosing your college based on which school you feel will have a higher quality course set for your major. Some schools are better for certain subjects than others... Like the art institute of pittsburgh is supposedly one of the best art schools in the country... I have several friends that graduated from there and have good jobs now.. In my field employers don't care so much about what level of degree you have, but more so the certifications... I didn't get hired for a lot of jobs because I didn't have the proper certifications... so make sure the field your looking to get into is one that will benefit from a degree program..

blindingsun

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 03:31:20 PM »
FCuk that. you only live once, and life is short. go where the riders are.  its just a degree. and its just a job/money, and you cant take it with you when you die.

live your life. go ride.

Offline monis

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 03:38:02 PM »
Which school in Chicago are you looking to attend?

Offline picn!k

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 05:22:52 PM »
hey akmal,. why dont you go on msn anymore????

pm me bro

Offline clionb

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »
^bro i go on msn and IM you and you dont respond.

And i got this thing from Chicago University i guess.

Im not going to go to a bad school just because there's flatlanders there but if i find good schools and there's riders there ill go there. If it comes down to a really good school and a school with riders ill still pick the good school rather than just to be with riders

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 11:12:41 PM »
Get a dorm room with hard floors or put plywood down, and ride in your room.  Or rent a house out and ride in the house.

You have so much more time to ride in college, its great!
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 01:45:32 AM »
University of Chicago is a great school.  Chicago State University is a different story (more like a commuter school/junior college.) Colombia in New York is also very well known and has an excellent program.  Consider the course work and which professors you can study under.  Some Professors are well published in their fields and can be good networking contacts as you leave the academic world. 

Of course you have the general rule that "State" never carries the weight that "University of" carries.  That advice is coming from me, a graduate of as state school.  In high school I spent too much time riding a skating.  In my senior year I was scrambling to get accepted at any school that would take me with out regard to the reputation of the degree.  10 years out it makes little difference.  I am now an AVP at a bank.  The problem was after graduation from college it was hard to be taken seriously in an interview.  As a result I wasted two years temping and selling insurance to get "experience" that would allow me to do what people who graduated from better schools did right out of the gate.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 01:49:36 AM by letsgo »

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 01:49:13 AM »
FCuk that. you only live once, and life is short. go where the riders are.  its just a degree. and its just a job/money, and you cant take it with you when you die.

live your life. go ride.

I agree with blindingsun, life is too short. Enjoy it while you can.

blindingsun

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 01:51:51 AM »
^^ see ...i'm not alone with this view... in 10 years time when you hate your job you are gonna say "damn,,if only id rode more and turned pro and scored all that hot ass!""

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 02:20:46 AM »
You can't beat the weather in California for riding... and if you're smart enough to get into UCLA, I'm pretty sure you're also smart enough to balance college and riding out as well.