Author Topic: belt driven bikes  (Read 18748 times)

Offline Sweatpants

• Backpacker
belt driven bikes
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:11:44 AM »
if someone were to put out a belt drive setup for your bike consisting of belt, sprocket and driver, what would you pay? the gear ratio would be roughly 2 to 1.
thank you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:38:01 PM by wilderness »

TJ Perry

Re: belt driven bikes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 06:39:54 AM »
f*ck that. What's wrong with chains?

Offline Sweatpants

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 06:50:38 AM »
nothing is "wrong" with chains. they've worked well for over 150 years.

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 06:58:29 AM »
i wouldnt pay anything for it cuz i wouldnt buy it.

Offline timmay

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »
Its been tried before on a folding bike called the Strida 2, the only benefit that i can see is that you shave a bit of weight and you do not need to lubricate the drive train.
But it has already been proven that belts slip, stretch, break easier than a chain and the rubber will degrade quickly.

In short, i would only try it if you paid me.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »
I was thinking instead of a metal chain why not make one out of a tough plastic composite?

it would obviously only work on really weak ratios so theres no so much pressure on the chain but for flatland might work well
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline flatchance

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 11:40:04 AM »
just curious, how would the belt close on itself?

in any event it would have to be functional, competitively priced, and light weight to even consider spending money on it.   

Offline Sweatpants

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 02:00:53 PM »
just curious, how would the belt close on itself?

this is all hypothetical, but:
in short, it wouldn't. i haven't thought of a way to "open" the belt the way a chain can be opened for installation etc. without creating a stiff spot or fatal weak spot.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 02:05:19 AM »
You could easily make a belt setup with a belt tensioner pulley like a car motor timing belt has. I know I could make something like this work.

Would I?? No... a chain is just fine, why reinvent the wheel???

Just me.

Offline stinky

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 03:09:31 AM »
you guys have to much time on your hands

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 03:47:37 AM »
I don't think it would break easier than a chain. I'd imagine the belts under the hood of a car endure a lot more stress than a bicycle chain. Then again, they probably weigh more.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 02:40:14 PM »
a chain is simply more positive too. I could see a belt slipping, at if you were in the rain hello freecoaster front and back!

Offline Ginny

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 06:23:18 AM »
 :rolleyes:^^ hahaha... a toothed belt slipping? not likely.

C'mon.... it's a pedal powered bike, not a seven second door slammer.

Belt drives are common on high powered choppers, and superchargers... Late model hi-tech engines run timing/cam belts now instead of the older less efficient chains.

A belt requires no lube, is a lot quieter, cleaner... and the average timing belt in a car (under alot more stress) will last for around 80,000 kilometres (50,000 miles).

The way to go I think is with shaft drive set-ups. Like the late BMW motorcycles. Or like the tailshaft on any rear wheel driven car. There would be no need for a chain/belt/sprocket etc... Plus it would add a huge amount or rigidity to the back end, possibly enough to eliminate one complete rear chainstay on that side of the bike.

Just thinking out loud...  ^_^
flatland will ruin your life..

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
this subject has been talked about already,
The drive belt will work fine if it has strong tensors to keep it from slipping.

The main problem is that you cant put a belt "through" the frame.
The chainstay would have to be removable or the design of the rear end would have to be diferent to allow the belt to work.

This is the STRIDA:
http://www.strida.com/

Ive been on this thing and its crazy..
because of the frame design, you can use a belt.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 02:38:02 PM »
:rolleyes:^^ hahaha... a toothed belt slipping? not likely.

C'mon.... it's a pedal powered bike, not a seven second door slammer.

Belt drives are common on high powered choppers, and superchargers... Late model hi-tech engines run timing/cam belts now instead of the older less efficient chains.

A belt requires no lube, is a lot quieter, cleaner... and the average timing belt in a car (under alot more stress) will last for around 80,000 kilometres (50,000 miles).

The way to go I think is with shaft drive set-ups. Like the late BMW motorcycles. Or like the tailshaft on any rear wheel driven car. There would be no need for a chain/belt/sprocket etc... Plus it would add a huge amount or rigidity to the back end, possibly enough to eliminate one complete rear chainstay on that side of the bike.

Just thinking out loud...  ^_^

I agree completely.

Someone asked: "why re-invent the wheel?" A: Because it can be made better.

Why do you think front sprockets are getting so much smaller--because it is a huge benefit to get it out of the way. A belt system could do it even better and there would be no sharp sprocket teeth to cut your leg open on.

I think the shaft idea is even better. Whatever company has the balls to do either one and do it right will revolutionize the sport and make a butt-load of money. Regardless of what the nay-sayers say on forums.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.