Author Topic: '87 General RL Osborn Pro  (Read 82640 times)

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
Re: '87 General RL Osborn Pro
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:24 AM »
Now with the lightest of Polishing......;D just a couple of spots to see how time consuming it'll be. These few places were a Beeze, Thanks to Great Chrome plating of the 80's. ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:10:59 AM by JUGGARNAUT »

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 01:16:37 AM »
not sure but i think that seat and the OG dk stem have some value
This is Loaded with cash cows.... Chrome Nippons with original pads,Dk stem,all the GT parts that are stamped and printed are in Excellent condition,Most of which will go on this..

EDIT: I have 2 of those seats BTW. ;D

Offline Tommy Point

• Forkglider
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 02:05:26 AM »
When I was 14-15, I rode an RL Pro (maybe the 88 model). I believe I got it after seeing a General show featuring Sean Leslie (with whom I traded an "X" Swatch for a set of basically homecrafted bolt-on [not threaded] pegs). I didn't keep the frame long because it was really too big for me. It was a sharp-looking bike, though; mine was black and chrome with flourescent stickers that really "popped", if you'll pardon the expression. But to me, all of the color and graphics combinations of the RL (and many other bikes from that period, as well) were pretty excellent.

Though I no longer have the RL, I do have a few 80's bikes that I'd like to restore to riding condition, just as a hobby.  They do have a bit of rust, though, and I was hoping you (or other members) would have some suggestions for removing it. Is it possible to simply polish it out? Or, is there a chemical that makes things easier? Your advice would really be appreciated.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:21 AM »
I started Polishing with a Cheaper harsher polish,then I'll finish up with Mothers. The Black RL I had was an '87 ,I bought it From the General Freestyle Team, in '87 the Black ones were TEAM ONLY frames, in '88 they swapped the Graphics and offered the Black colorway. I never even seen an '88 in Black till MANY years later on BMX Museum. I am very Happy to have  this bike again. ;D  More to come!

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 02:59:34 AM »
What's the smallest sprocket you can run with the 990's on the chainstays?

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
What's the smallest sprocket you can run with the 990's on the chainstays?
I can run a 30t with 996's and Fly springs and an 11 in the back. Tried it earlier,just about 3mm of clearance. Like this Zippo I built.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
Getting a new chain with shorter side plate to ensure enough clearance. 1/2 x 1/8, it'll be ,you guessed it Chrome! ;D  Anyone know where I can buy some extra Fly brake hardware to replace what I'm using? LMK please. ;D

Offline 2wheelsoffun

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 01:13:20 AM »
turning out great

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 01:15:25 AM »
turning out great
Thanks,I did find the Brake hardware on FF! I'll be in touch Pat, been a while.;D

Offline RadCo

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 03:39:21 AM »
I just finished restoring my 87 General Osborn Pro. I got it in 87 as a graduation present from my parents. Then my brother had it for a while, then a few years back I gave it to my son who still had it sitting in his shed. I'll post some pics when I get a camera.

I was able to keep it pretty much all original, though I had to powder coat a few things that were beyond polishing. I think the only new things  I put on were tires and pedals and a seatpost. Maybe brake levers too. Changed up the color combination a bit because of the powder coating, new decals. It looks awesome. I loved that bike. My next "bikes of my youth" project is the 85 Haro Master I have waiting for money, and for me to finish my Hoffman Strowler. Now i just need to find a Hutch Tricks Star to complete the collection.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 03:48:43 AM »
I just finished restoring my 87 General Osborn Pro. I got it in 87 as a graduation present from my parents. Then my brother had it for a while, then a few years back I gave it to my son who still had it sitting in his shed. I'll post some pics when I get a camera.

I was able to keep it pretty much all original, though I had to powder coat a few things that were beyond polishing. I think the only new things  I put on were tires and pedals and a seatpost. Maybe brake levers too. Changed up the color combination a bit because of the powder coating, new decals. It looks awesome. I loved that bike. My next "bikes of my youth" project is the 85 Haro Master I have waiting for money, and for me to finish my Hoffman Strowler. Now i just need to find a Hutch Tricks Star to complete the collection.
Nice Bro,Definately post a pic up.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:13:48 AM by JUGGARNAUT »

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 05:23:12 AM »
I should be gettin my Chrome from OSG this week, can't wait for that.Wait till ya'll see the Upgrade that I think I came up with ,it worked in prototype, so we'll see.I'm sure somebody will say they seen it before or something. Anyway I can say I posted it first. Should be Great.;D

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
Sean Leslie (with whom I traded an "X" Swatch for a set of basically homecrafted bolt-on [not threaded] pegs).

Sean's CRACK PIPES... I remember those... I would always tell him 'CRACK IS WHACK' when he would come around pushing them... LOL...

:beer: :beer: :beer:

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
Got my Chrome from OSG today !!! Pix up later.;D

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 01:20:04 AM »
All I can say is WOW!!! The finish is smooth as a babies ASS. ;D Everything is perfect! Race slips on the fork no probs. Threads aren't blocked. Great care was taken. Thank You so much Bro and Thank You Jesse Puente for the goodies and Signing my Bars and Forks as well!! ;D
   Mutt , Thank You for all the liason work you did without being asked,FOOKIN NINJA!!! ;D