Author Topic: 1"headtube 1 1/8"fork"?  (Read 6789 times)

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
1"headtube 1 1/8"fork"?
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
Wasn't there a how to on this on here at some point?
Thx!
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

byke

Re: 1"headtube 1 1/8"fork"?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
yup
beartrap 2 cups, dismantle hiddenset bearing races (so they are unsealed)

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »
??? Are u saying loose balls and cups from the beartrap and races from whatever eles 1 1/8"? That's what kind of makes sence to me but I wanted to make sure.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

byke

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:51:02 PM »
??? Are u saying loose balls and cups from the beartrap and races from whatever eles 1 1/8"? That's what kind of makes sence to me but I wanted to make sure.

No basically get some 1" cups and put them in the frame.
(thats the only parts you need from a 1" headset)

Next take a normal intergrated headset.
Take one of the bearing races and look at them ....

they will appear to be 2 sealed bearings (one for the top and one for the bottom)

Take the top headset bearing and remove its casing .... inside you will see a group of bearings inside a ring.

Take this ring of bearings  out and place them into the 1" cups

Do the same again for the other cup.

Use the rest of the hiddenset to put all the bits on to tension

Olds Cool

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:10:07 PM »
Thx byke, that makes much more sense now.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »

No basically get some 1" cups and put them in the frame.
(thats the only parts you need from a 1" headset)

Next take a normal intergrated headset.
Take one of the bearing races and look at them ....

they will appear to be 2 sealed bearings (one for the top and one for the bottom)

Take the top headset bearing and remove its casing .... inside you will see a group of bearings inside a ring.

Take this ring of bearings  out and place them into the 1" cups

Do the same again for the other cup.

Use the rest of the hiddenset to put all the bits on to tension

We did this at Core bike shop but it felt a little grimmey, like the lower part of the integrated bearing didn't match up perfectly with the lower bear-trap cup and it wasn't so smooth.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

byke

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »
It worked fine for me, but this is a bits and bobs job so I am sure there will be varying results

Offline demangone

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »
I'm still surprised that a company hasn't come out with cups that will fit a 1" frame but will be large enough to hold an 1 1/8" bearing without modification. It seems like it would be pretty simple.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
I'm still surprised that a company hasn't come out with cups that will fit a 1" frame but will be large enough to hold an 1 1/8" bearing without modification. It seems like it would be pretty simple.
There are fork Steering tube adapters that do this.

Offline demangone

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »

I know, but it's still an adapter. Building cups that don't require additional adapters, in my mind, is still a better solution.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »

I know, but it's still an adapter. Building cups that don't require additional adapters, in my mind, is still a better solution.
Don't get me wrong, I should have added that I agree with you. It would make more sense.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 10:51:22 PM »
Help is on the way. ;)
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:50:19 AM »
I have been running 1/18" forks on 1" frames for over a year now.
same head set - its been swapped from my 87 gt performer frame - to my 85 skyway street beat - to my yellow morales - and now on to my black morales.

you need tioga headset cups.
they are a close fit around the bottom of the 1 1/8" fork but they work fine.
you also need 3 rings of small bearings from your local bike shop.
and you need the race and the upper race+ misc centering parts of a 1 1/8" UN SEALED headset.

its realley a collaboration of parts - and if you had to buy them all complete it would cost a bunch of money - but check your local bike store out.     explain to them that you have a frame that takes 1" headset cups - but that your special project needs to use the 1 1/8" forks.  and most shops will look at you like you have 6 heads - and just let you look thru the bin of headset crap till you find what you want.

thats how I managed to cobble up all my stuff on my own.
my local bike shop said there was no way the new fork would work on the old frame
and the owner said be my guest at the parts - cause there is absolutely no way it will work.
whell - it does.

a good bit ago I made a post / thread here showing how run this "mixed breed"  headset and properly set it up with some pixtures.    I will try and search it out.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 06:52:22 AM »
Old dudes can still rip