Author Topic: Who DOESN"T compete in Contests and Why?  (Read 17694 times)

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
Who DOESN"T compete in Contests and Why?
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:03:58 AM »
Give your Honest reasons, NO FLAMING !!!!!!!!

Offline froghammer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Who DOESN"T compete in Contests and Why?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:08:51 AM »
You mean besides the fact that I never was and never will be good enough?  ^_^

I did compete once, back in the late '80s. Hated it. What I didn't know then, but learned over the years is that I get horrible performance anxiety that screws with my head. It's not really a fear, but  excitement/adrenaline that does me in. I have to do something tons and tons before I get comfortable with it and it isn't like contests happened all that often.

When I played in bands, my hands would shake so bad that I'd have to take drinks of my beer with my back to the audience so nobody could see. It took literally hundreds of shows to get past those kinds of nerves.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:12:11 AM by froghammer »
It truly is a romance of many dimensions, isn't it?

http://www.froghammer.com

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:16:46 AM »
Becuase I just got back into riding flatland and after 12 years of not riding I can't ride away from anything other then a tailwhip...bery depressing actually lol.I ride to ride and have fun,I have nothing to prove to anyone and I hate people knowing who I am when I don't know who they are let alone their name.

I have been surfing for 18 years and yes I am good enough to compete but don't all becuase I started surfing for what it gave to me,peace of mind,an outlet,and just pure stoke and fun....I am what you would call a soul surfer,in it for me and the experiece,not to whore my skills off for anyone but me....so I guess that makes me a soul flatlander lol.....no offense to people that do compete,that's cool and all,just not my thing.

Also I am unaware of any flat contests going on in Florida or atleast in my neck o the woods (Tampa Bay area what what)....or I would atleast attend the comp. as a spectator and show my support in any way I could as a spectator.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:18:30 AM by Scuffy »
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:26:52 AM »
I flatland on the east coast of FL.
but I do it as my hobby - one of many hobbies actually  but it is just for fun.

im taking a new direction with my flatlanding actually - and im riding more mid school as that was what I wanted to ride back when I started riding a bmx bike - but had no funds or ppl around who rode flat / freestyle.     

I love going to my local skate park and riding flatland there - and also hitting the 6' mini ramp  also.   the other bmx kids at local park are all stoked on it.   ive been trying to teach them all how to hang 5 and hang 10 proficently.

but I dont have the desire to compete in flatlanding contests because I dont need or want a select grouping of my peers to put a # on me as to where I fall in line with a select group of my riding peers.    wether id place 6th or 37th  it wouldnt matter because in my own head I ride for fun.  not to be the #1 flatlander on earth 
Old dudes can still rip

Offline Trickzta

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 03:27:11 AM »
15 and in Canada.  I'd like to in the future though.  :rolleyes:

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 03:27:51 AM »
I used to hang on Dale Mabry BLVD. when I was in town......Mons Venus and such!!!!!! :D

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:32:03 AM »
I'm hoping to compete a few more times once I get some more seat time (or peg time). lol!
I'm just far from being consistant yet.
I used to LOVE to compete back in the late 80's and early 90's, there were so many comps going on back then...in the summer we had at least a few every month.
I'm sure some of you remember the KOF comps in Manchester NH as well as the Natick Ma Armory.  :beer:

Offline cucumber

• Ride like you just struck a lottery
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 03:40:36 AM »
Brudda, I have friends who doesn't compete in contest because they have terrible stage fright or he keep thinking he is not good enough or he just hate it when Hot Chicks! (not refering to Rob Schneider) laughing their ass off when he falls.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 03:46:40 AM »
Cool, this is goin GREAT, now if we could hear from our inhouse Judges.....? no flame...
Thanks to everyone so far. ;D

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 03:48:29 AM »
I used to hang on Dale Mabry BLVD. when I was in town......Mons Venus and such!!!!!! :D

Joe Reddner baby lol,I remember my bud had a chick he was dating and her mom worked at Mons and all this chick wanted to do was be like mommy...only prob is she had no titts and no ass lmao!

A few years later we hit up Mons one night and sure enough who comes walking out on stage but miss no ass'n'titties....She looked over and saw us and came by to say hi...I gave her a $20 and told her to go get dressed....she was then luaghed off the stage and me and my buddy (her ex) got thrown out lol!
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:52:05 AM »

Joe Reddner baby lol,I remember my bud had a chick he was dating and her mom worked at Mons and all this chick wanted to do was be like mommy...only prob is she had no titts and no ass lmao!

A few years later we hit up Mons one night and sure enough who comes walking out on stage but miss no ass'n'titties....She looked over and saw us and came by to say hi...I gave her a $20 and told her to go get dressed....she was then luaghed off the stage and me and my buddy (her ex) got thrown out lol!
LMFAO!!!!! Gotta LOVE the Mons crowd!! ;D

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:54:07 AM »
i don't compete because im tired of getting 5th lol

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:18:23 AM »
i have plenty of other things in life i'm competing at...flatland is my zen.   

Offline Jason Rideout

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »
if there was a contest in colorado i'd go.  dont really trust this to drive it all away to indiana. plus its cold as f#^K ! no heat.                                                                                                           
does where's waldo ride a fixie?

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »
i have plenty of other things in life i'm competing at...flatland is my zen.   

+1 

I feel like the society we live in is one big competition.  Everyone wants more, bigger, faster, stronger, louder. 

Flatland is my escape from the rat race...never wanted to give up that freedom. 

"A puppet no more!"