Author Topic: Trick of the Month April 2020 - Karl Cruiser  (Read 339688 times)

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
Re: Trick of the Month March 2012 - Steamroller
« Reply #615 on: March 04, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »
It would be nice for at least one person to do a quick how-to for people who are learning it for the first time.

I'm still getting myself together or else I'd do this one.  A sketchy looking how-to might do more harm than good ;)

Instead I am trying to improve my execution.  I tend to go in ever tighter circles and throw myself off after a few turns.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #616 on: March 05, 2012, 01:33:24 AM »
BMX Freestyler's TOTM - March 2012- Steamroller with Mark Dandridge

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #617 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:05 AM »
You know what. If all the videos look as lovely as that I don't care what they're of!

Just noticed something. I'm only trying reverse steamrollers. Are they any harder than forwards ones? I think I don't try forwards ones because I can't halflash. Most videos here seem to be predominantly forward steams.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:41:29 AM by Lam47 »
Xbox live GT. Mr Brownground

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #618 on: March 05, 2012, 02:32:39 AM »
Trick of the month was designed to motivate and create and learn. I have been organizing Trick of the Month since 2004. There have been several success stories of riders out there either learning the trick or a new variation because of trick of the month. The whole idea is we create a sort of common base just like if we were all to session together and someone starts trying something and someone else does something a little different. The next thing you know you have a new variation that you had not thought of. Its a great source of motivation and a great way to encourage each other too. Thanks Killa KHE again for re-sparking interest again. I am stoked to see some steamrollers from other riders.
Keep on Riding!
Mark

Budz

« Reply #619 on: March 05, 2012, 04:29:59 AM »
Trolley? I thought that was a "Puppet", no...?
Different strokes for different folks, perhaps?
101 Trix and magazines taught me it was a puppet.
Either way, U dont see many people doin those anymore(even tho its still a rad trick), so it should be fun to see the outcome. =)

Check 8:17
101 Tricks Part Two - old school bmx freestyle How-To part1 Small | Large
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:42:58 AM by Budz-is broken! »

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #620 on: March 05, 2012, 05:25:50 AM »
hrere is my version. hope it helps :beer:
stemroller

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #621 on: March 05, 2012, 08:32:37 AM »
Just noticed something. I'm only trying reverse steamrollers. Are they any harder than forwards ones? I think I don't try forwards ones because I can't halflash. Most videos here seem to be predominantly forward steams.

Yes the steamroller is a forward rolling trick (Can be performed backwards) but you will find that if you learn it forwards you will be able to link it to basic tricks quite easy. To start don't even worry about the ride in or out. Just put your foot on the peg and walk straight into it and practice the rolling, and then learn ride in. If you have the balance point down when you start learning the kick you only have to worry about the kick and grab. Breaking tricks down into sections will make life easier.

If I get time Saturday are make you a how-to, although being I ride alone it may prove a little difficult. Don't be afraid to post up your efforts, we can advise you on what bits need working on and other things to try.... Most of all have fun!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:35:32 AM by khe killah™ »

Budz

« Reply #622 on: March 05, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »
Nice videos guys! :beer:
I thoroughly enjoy watching T.O.T.M!

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #623 on: March 05, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
Thanks KHEkillah! I will try smoke forwards steams when it stops raining.
I'm getting better at backwards ones. My balance is still pretty poor but it's getting there.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #624 on: March 05, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »
I think forward is easier to balance than backwards. My theory is that your mind is aware you are going backwards and can't fully see where you heading such is distracting. When your travelling forward you don't have to worry about what's coming up behind you. Keep your head up and you will usually turn in the direction you look....

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #625 on: March 05, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »
Its funny I spend so much time on facebook hitting the like button I wanted to do so right now but there isn't one. I think your right KHE Killah. When I started backwards was much easier but I could not roll fwd at all. Every time I have done a backwards steamroller its more like a backwards fork glide. Its hard for me to find the balance and keep it going backwards.

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #626 on: March 05, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
I concur! I was looking for a like button for your video.
For some reason I find forwards ones very hard to balance. I want the sun to come out so I can go practice!

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #627 on: March 05, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
Trolley? I thought that was a "Puppet", no...?
Different strokes for different folks, perhaps?
101 Trix and magazines taught me it was a puppet.
Either way, U dont see many people doin those anymore(even tho its still a rad trick), so it should be fun to see the outcome. =)

Check 8:17
101 Tricks Part Two - old school bmx freestyle How-To part1

I heard that 2 riders (Kevin Jones and another that I dont remember) invented the trick at the same time without knowing eachother, and they came up wih different names for the forward and backwards version.

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »
Getting back to stearollers, it was always more natural to balance them forward for me, but it took me a long time to ride in without tapping the ground with my foot.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
Backwards seemed safer to me when I was learning because if I let the back end down, I just kept rolling.  Going forward, the back end of the bike often wanted to whip around and it's harder to just pick it up and recover.

I'd try getting in and out of half lashes dialed so that you know exactly what to do and what to expect when the back wheel hits the ground.

The other thing is that if you can go backwards with way less control over the back end of the bike.  When you're going forward you really have to get your seat, bars and peg pressure right or else it sort of folds up on you and wants to turn sharply.