Author Topic: Trick of the Month April 2020 - Karl Cruiser  (Read 339638 times)

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
Re: Trick of the Month June 2010- Hitchhiker
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »
I have been working on opposite whip so I could link to karl never really thought about hitch.  That would be sweet.

villetgk

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »
I've seen a few good friends in the last year do a "step right in " hiker. 

Kinda like going up to Karl position, then instead of grabbing the seat they grab the tire and "step in" the hiker position.   Looks cool if it is done properly with no hesitation. 

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
I still want to get these down along with cliffhangers before 2011..

Got so far to go though... it's going to be tough.

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2010, 01:21:20 AM »
I have been working on opposite whip so I could link to karl never really thought about hitch.  That would be sweet.

Yeah you can bypass the karl and just drop right in!

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
  • Beginner rider / 7 months
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2010, 09:09:30 PM »
 Just now started to really get down the double footed fwd. steamroller. Popping up to the half-hiker feels so sketchy (btw I'm just going to work on the half-hiker for now maybe later in the month mess with the hitch).  I'll keep at it though and hopefully by the end of the month I'll have some improvement to show.  Pretty fun trick to mess with.

Half-Hiker practice day3 Small | Large

Oh ya I had a question, how are you supposed to hold the seat for the half-hiker?  Do you just let it hang to your side or are you bringing it up a bit?  Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:51:24 PM by 5hane »
It's not about the bike. - Lance Armstrong

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »
why wont that video play for me never had that b4

I don't know, I was having some problems watching it at first for some reason but seems to be working fine now.  Anyone else having problems seeing it?

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »
Just now started to really get down the double footed fwd. steamroller. Popping up to the half-hiker feels so sketchy (btw I'm just going to work on the half-hiker for now).  I'll keep at it though and hopefully by the end of the month I'll have some improvement to show.  Pretty fun trick to mess with.

Half-Hiker practice day3

Oh ya I had a question, how are you supposed to hold the seat for the half-hiker?  Do you just let it hang to your side or are you bringing it up a bit?  Hope that makes sense.
Shouldn't you hold the tire? (I'm not sure tho).

Vid works fine for me.

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
Just now started to really get down the double footed fwd. steamroller. Popping up to the half-hiker feels so sketchy (btw I'm just going to work on the half-hiker for now).  I'll keep at it though and hopefully by the end of the month I'll have some improvement to show.  Pretty fun trick to mess with.

Half-Hiker practice day3

Oh ya I had a question, how are you supposed to hold the seat for the half-hiker?  Do you just let it hang to your side or are you bringing it up a bit?  Hope that makes sense.
Shouldn't you hold the tire? (I'm not sure tho).

Vid works fine for me.

Ya for the hitchhiker you hold the tire but I'm going to work on the halfhiker cuz raddad told me that that's what he did at first, if I remember correctly. Halfhiker you just hold the seat to your side.

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »
My mistake, sorry.

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »
Oh ya I had a question, how are you supposed to hold the seat for the half-hiker?  Do you just let it hang to your side or are you bringing it up a bit?  Hope that makes sense.

I am not sure exactly what you're asking, but when you have the balance point right, the bike feels kind of weightless and you're not exerting a lot of force on the seat.

Exactly where the seat should be depends on how high you run it, probably, but pictures and videos should give you the idea.

I personally think it's way easier to learn hitchhikers first, then halfhikers, because once you get hitchhikers down you can transition into halfhikers without ever needing to practice them.  That's how it worked for me, anyway, and I'm generally not a fast learner in flatland by any means.

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2010, 11:41:12 PM »
When I was learning the hitchhiker I was working on every aspect of it. I was riding in and working on Halfhikers at the same time. Most people that were giving me tips kept saying learn halfhikers and hitch will follow. I struggled with the ride of of a hitchiker for a very long time. It wasn't until I starting pulling halfhikers that I was able to pull hitchhikers. Halfhikers are definitely harder to control. One thing I focus on is my feet for that position. I try my best to get even amount of pressure on the balls of my feet and squatting just a bit.
  There is no right or wrong way to learn a trick. All anyone can give you is how they learned it. Some learn very fast..some take some time. Its all about the journey you take while getting to your designation.
  I like the transition to halfhiker because its a easy way to get to steamroller from there. Alex "Magic" Johnson goes back to karl and drops it down. I have never had much success with the switch to Karl from Hitch even though I have done it once or twice. I know once you have halfhikers, hitchhikers will be a cake walk. Thanks for the update. I am going to back to watch your video again.

Keep on Riding!

jm

« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2010, 11:53:13 PM »
@ 5hane
hmm. the transition is the hard part of the trick for me. it looks like you're doing it right, just focus on getting that seat close to the side and you'll have it. when you pull the seat to the right, experiment with leaning the front wheel to the left-just a tad, then back to center to ease through the funky part.  maybe keep the knees slightly closer together also? that been said, you're progress is FANTASTIC! dang man! keep it up! very motivating :)

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »
Cool thanks for the tips guys, I'll work on it.

haha its loading ok now great vid! whats that place behind you you ride at factory or somethin?

It's a grocery store. I have to constantly put up with truck drivers asking me what the heck I'm doing lol.  Really getting annoying, need to find a new spot to ride. Today one truck driver came and said "Why are you doing this?" lol man mind your own damn business!

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2010, 08:45:18 PM »
Trick of the Month June 2010 - Hitchhiker Small | Large

Okay I pulled one as well for trick of the Month when I was in Corpus this month. I didn't have my fancy camera and no time for fancy production. THis is all it takes to submitt a video for Trick of the Month. So lets see them. You got a good 19 days left before the trick changes.

Keep on Riding!

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2010, 03:36:45 AM »

I'm gonna see what I can do with whiplash-to-hitchhiker tomorrow.  Not taking my camera tomorrow, but if I can learn it this month I'll get it on film  :)