Author Topic: frames top 5 /2009  (Read 10830 times)

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
Re: frames top 5 /2009
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 01:34:28 PM »
KHE Paris1, Mankind Alive, Ares Garuda '09/10

Navid, this is about 2009ish frames. The KHE Paris came out in 2007, and the Mankind Alive in 2008. The previous Garuda came out in 2008 and the new one in 2010. There's no 2009ish production version Garuda, only prototypes. ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:36:15 PM by Furball »
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »
Have to agree with Byke here. 2009 definatly the year of shady design.

Too many companies stuck in tradition. And by that i mean FAR to many 18.x sized frames with the same geo.

Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

g-man

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »
Have to agree with Byke here. 2009 definatly the year of shady design.

Too many companies stuck in tradition. And by that i mean FAR to many 18.x sized frames with the same geo.

+1

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:33 AM »
I keep bending the dropouts back so it's hard to tell, but you can see where it's bent and it's had to be bent back. EDIT: For reference, there is that much space between the dropout and the tensioner on the other side to. When I got the bike, there was only a millimeter or so space. The back end is just so warped because it's so wide and there is so much leverage over the rear that it's whacked the hell out, so there is WAY more space here than there should be.

The spacing in the rear end on Quamens is just horribly done. There's no reason to make the rear ends like this. I wouldn't have bought the frame if I wasn't in need of a frame at the time of my Kun Fu breaking, I just literally had no other options available to me. There was the macneil, but the back end on that is stupid too because the chain and seat stays are capped all messed up, and I was doing lots of pivoting tricks at the time where my feet would have caught on them.

This post immediately made me go out to my garage and examine my Bowls 2... I seriously had to "mod" the tensioners to actually fit into the dropout slots on my frame. I'm running the Taska U-Free hub right now, so the spacing is maybe a little different from your Geisha setup. In any case, I'll be paying close attention to my dropouts from now on.
Aside from this (pretty serious) issue though, I do love how this frame feels riding-wise.

TJ Perry

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 03:53:15 AM »
I don't. I really wish they would have gone for more laid back angles on the HT and ST. I also wish the BB height was a bit lower because everything in hang 5's feels a bit too tweaked for my liking.

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 04:10:52 AM »
when i bent my dropouts on my g6 (pretty much the same way) they said it was cause the spacing was based around a nankai and their tensioners. how come you didnt just run a spacer in there? although unless you could get one even on both sides, it'd mess up your alignment...
and they've always been doing the spacing like that(as far as i know) i wasnt aware of any problems like that before...
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 04:30:56 AM »
Everyone, please take the Mankind Alive frame off of that list.  Yes, I will say that I enjoy the geometry; however, the down tube hits my leg in halfpackers, the TT and DT are both cracked at the HT, and the dropouts are miserably short (my pegs extend .25 inches past the end of the drop outs.

The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 04:43:53 AM »
the dropouts are miserably short (my pegs extend .25 inches past the end of the drop outs.

That sucks... my pegs are dead even with my dropouts right now and it bugs me. .25 would irritate me to no end.

TJ Perry

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 04:45:23 AM »
when i bent my dropouts on my g6 (pretty much the same way) they said it was cause the spacing was based around a nankai and their tensioners. how come you didnt just run a spacer in there? although unless you could get one even on both sides, it'd mess up your alignment...
and they've always been doing the spacing like that(as far as i know) i wasnt aware of any problems like that before...

You'd be amazed at how bad flatlanders are at recognizing problems with their bikes. I think most people just run whatever without any regard.

The spacing on the nankai isn't any different from the Geisha I don't think?

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 04:57:07 AM »
well if it makes you feel any better the spacing on my pos kgb is even worse  :mellow:
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland