Author Topic: frames top 5 /2009  (Read 10835 times)

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
Re: frames top 5 /2009
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »
I dunno what you guys refer to when you say "TOP" I mean..

.. top in popularity?..
.. top in innovation?..
.. top in durability?..
.. top in sales?..

But then again, how many of us got to ride more than 5 frames (released during 2009) to actually know how to judge this?..

Personally:

- I only rode three frames in my entire life;
- I haven't ridden a new frame since March 2006;
- My latest frame is still to be ridden since it's not ready/weather not helping/work not letting;
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:38:02 PM by Hugo @ Portugal »

Offline Darkdace

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
In general! pupularity ,good geometry and good resistance....

Not only for your experience, but for having compared it with friends, hearing to comment .. etc

sorry for my english

byke

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 11:35:05 PM »
I think 2009 was the year of poor design and shady warranty .....

While many consumers need to be responsible for their choices, companies need to be held accountable for design @ R&D errors.

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
I'm not the best person to participate then. Always rode alone, never met any other flatlander so all I know about it is based around this forum.

To be honest I don't think there's any of us who can actually answer accurately to this question.
It's not like theres a single one of us here that tries frames for a living..

Video games reviewers do nothing else than play the games and write something that sheds some light upon the game's quality in comparison to similar products.

I don't believe that any of this forum members have the appropriate tools to do that towards Flatland.

Sure, I loved the LOOKS of the Cyphr.. the Instrumental.. etc, but how can I tell if they are any good?.. For all I know they can be as weak as ABT's or Paris's..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:39:40 PM by Hugo @ Portugal »

Offline Grombar

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:33 PM »
Zion Lowkee, Quamen Cypher, Mankind Alive  :ph34r:

Offline B flat

• Forkglider
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 02:36:59 AM »
KGB Superpower 08. P-E-R-F-E-C-T geometry!
+1

Evil_Lincoln

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 04:29:05 AM »
Quamen bowls pre straight tubed disaster frame.

What problem(s) did you have with it?  Just curious...

Offline "ixtapa"

• Hitchhiker
  • ''''''BMXican-az'''''"
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »
the best frame are the zion "luna" 2007.

-good geometry
-good resistance
-good design
-good price

"bmxican"
ser un imigrante, ese es mi deporte, sin pasaporte llegue al norte.

TJ Perry

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 06:15:46 AM »

I retract my previous statement. The bowls is horrible period.

The back end is bent up quite a bit because quamen sent me the wrong sized tensionors. They're going to warranty the frame after I get done with FWF, but if it keeps being ridden the dropouts will eventually snap off.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 06:34:15 AM »

I retract my previous statement. The bowls is horrible period.

The back end is bent up quite a bit because quamen sent me the wrong sized tensionors. They're going to warranty the frame after I get done with FWF, but if it keeps being ridden the dropouts will eventually snap off.
Pix?

TJ Perry

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 07:19:05 AM »
I keep bending the dropouts back so it's hard to tell, but you can see where it's bent and it's had to be bent back. EDIT: For reference, there is that much space between the dropout and the tensioner on the other side to. When I got the bike, there was only a millimeter or so space. The back end is just so warped because it's so wide and there is so much leverage over the rear that it's whacked the hell out, so there is WAY more space here than there should be.

The spacing in the rear end on Quamens is just horribly done. There's no reason to make the rear ends like this. I wouldn't have bought the frame if I wasn't in need of a frame at the time of my Kun Fu breaking, I just literally had no other options available to me. There was the macneil, but the back end on that is stupid too because the chain and seat stays are capped all messed up, and I was doing lots of pivoting tricks at the time where my feet would have caught on them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:22:08 AM by 2FLAT2FURIOUS »

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 07:28:32 AM »
I keep bending the dropouts back so it's hard to tell, but you can see where it's bent and it's had to be bent back.

The spacing in the rear end on Quamens is just horribly done. There's no reason to make the rear ends like this. I wouldn't have bought the frame if I wasn't in need of a frame at the time of my Kun Fu breaking, I just literally had no other options available to me. There was the macneil, but the back end on that is stupid too because the chain and seat stays are capped all messed up, and I was doing lots of pivoting tricks at the time where my feet would have caught on them.
Holy Sh!t ! Yeah , you can def. see that, well at least they're covering it.You have to be at your wits end with this sh!t by now. You still goin for a custom? Cult Bikes have a model by both FBM and Solid, so they're testing waters it seems.Personally, I don't think you can go wrong either way. That would be a SHAME if it went during your run at FIGHT after all this time not actually competing ,just judging,ya know?

TJ Perry

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »
I have no other choice but to ride the bike I have right now. If it goes in practice or during my run at fight for flight, I think pretty much every angry outburst I've had in my life wouldn't come close to what I would do.

Honestly, the damage done to that frame was just from looping out on halfpackers. All that stuff was super rusty to me, so I was falling really hard the first week or so I got back doing front wheel. It's just dropping the while it's verticle (hiker spins kept throwing me off) or fairly high (halfpackers and wheelchairs). Nothing else. I didn't ride this frame until November, save for maybe TWO sessions back in June before I got sick. There is literally no excuse for any frame to be bending around like that. I never had a single problem with the dropouts on any frame except on Quamens. All of which, going all the way back to the G1, have had problems with dropouts bending because they don't put standard spacing.

The original tensioners that came with the frame didn't even fit the dropouts. They act as converters from 14mm to 3/8ths, and they had to send me new ones because they were thicker than the dropouts themselves. They said the ones I've been running were fine, but apparently they were wrong too.

I want to think that I get laid up with parts that break because of dumb luck, but there are honestly so few companies making decent products these days. I don't know how more people on here aren't breaking sh*t left and right because so many things I've had just fall apart on me from normal wear and tear. I think this is just another example of these things just not being made to decent standards.

It's NOT about weight either. You can have lightweight well designed parts. That geisha is in great condition despite all the wear and tear from the rear end, dropping, and slamming down. That's a damn good part. Odyssey forks have been getting lighter and lighter, another damn good part. I don't see a need to go back to heavier stuff like so many other people, I just would like companies to start actually testing some of the products they put out because I don't think they're doing it enough.

Offline Navid

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »
KHE Paris1, Mankind Alive, Ares Garuda '09/10

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »

CUSTOM FRAME...SOLID BIKES!