Author Topic: Headset race install HELP  (Read 8181 times)

Offline ollie

• Backpacker
Headset race install HELP
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:47:38 PM »
Hi!

I run my integrated headset without a headset cup/race at the bottom and I think that's because my headset plays a lot, and if a tighten it my bars can't spin at all.

I have a Khe Tanaka 2007 and a Khe Paris 1 frame. However my bearing at the bottom doesn't hit the bottom of the fork, because the tanaka has a little pyramid form and it holds it, that's why i thought i don't need that race.

I asked Pat to inform me what's wrong and he was really helpful. He said I need that race but only a bike shop can install it... Yeah I tried and it seems this needs unbelievable power to force it to the bottom!

So two questions: Do I really need that cup, and can I install it at home?

Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:50:13 PM by ollie »

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Headset race install HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:13:03 AM »
You need that cup (fork race). Sometimes the race wont go on without a little filing. It needs to be tight, but not so tight it needs a press to install.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:16:04 AM by Paradoxium »

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »
I allways use the tube from our vacuum cleaner to get those races on. fits nicely over the steerer tube  ;D

Don't tell my GF  :wub:

Offline ollie

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »
I allways use the tube from our vacuum cleaner to get those races on. fits nicely over the steerer tube  ;D

Don't tell my GF  :wub:

haha! awesome idea! thanks

Evil_Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:40:34 PM »
The Eastern headset on flatlandfuel has a race that's split.  You can put it on and remove it with your bare hands.  Cane Creek also has split races with some of their headsets. 

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »
Here's what I do when installing bearing races on forks.  I just put the race on and get a 1 1/8 bearing cup and turn it upside down where the part of the cup that goes into a regular headtube is sitting directly on the race.  Then just tap it down with a hammer a few times on one side and tap down on the other side.  It seems to work well.

Evil_Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:51:33 PM »
Just found this at Dans Comp...

http://www.danscomp.com/309202.php?cat=PARTS

No tools, no pounding, no screwing up your vacuum cleaner attachments!  :beer:

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:09:47 PM »
The Eastern headset on flatlandfuel has a race that's split.  You can put it on and remove it with your bare hands.  Cane Creek also has split races with some of their headsets. 

A split race is a flawed design. Once is edges out when you have it down, the circular race is no longer a circle. It is transformed very wuickly into an oval with a flat spot which doesnt center your bottom set of bearings correctly.

Get a big tube and smash it.

Offline oldmanjoe

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »
There is a special tool for this.

My LBS sees me enough so I asked him to do it, and he did it for me in 2 min, for free. I think I owe him a beer or something.

Offline jawn

• Funky Chicken
    • BMX is rad
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »
If the headset is sealed, just cut a slit in the race, then it can be fit and removed without any force whatsoever

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »
Guys, don't forget grease when you install.