Author Topic: 1 1/8" Fork into a 1" frame  (Read 36950 times)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Re: 1 1/8" Fork into a 1" frame
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Is this a load of old nonsense, a bunch of ppl taking the piss or exactly what...?
This is a letter I received from a guy in CRC[chainreactioncycles.com]...and I quote:

''Hi there,
I’m afraid regardless of what the forum says it is impossible to use a 1.1/8 steerer tube with a 1” headtube, even if you could find a method the pressure on extremely small tight fitting bearings would cause too much load weight.

I certainly agree, if this could be achieved there would be a lot of happy people with older frames.

Regards

Dean mcd

Dean mcd :: Sales Advisor
Tel: +44(0)28 9335 2976
Email: sales@chainreactioncycles.com

What sayst all you fellas, is what he's saying a load of ole bunckum, never mind that if this could be acheived, any number of ppl would jump at the opportunity and there would be many a rich company for making such a device.
...so, which opinion would you listen to?
thanks.

I just received a letter from ''Dan'' from Dansbikeshop.us [dunno if it's the same one as mentioned by one of the posters above] saying he has never heard of such a thing being done, but is checking to see if he can get or locate a ''mixed'' headset, as he put it.
This headset is mentioned above, so perhaps CRC [and I as well-cheeky, sorry]is incorrect. Apologies if I am being such.
Chris

My local bike shop told me it wasn't possible...until I took my old Dyno down there and showed them the 1 1/8th fork in it.  Then they wanted to know how. 

Actually, there are a few methods.  One of them is Brians, which seems to work very nicely, and the other is one that I have where the headset cups were ground down to fit into the 1 inch headtube.  This was done by Dionrides(here on the forum) and sold to me.  So far, it seems to work okay.  There are probably more ways to get it to work, you just have to do some research and experimenting like Brain and Dion did. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline keeto

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »
My local bike shop told me it wasn't possible...until I took my old Dyno down there and showed them the 1 1/8th fork in it.  Then they wanted to know how. 

Actually, there are a few methods.  One of them is Brians, which seems to work very nicely, and the other is one that I have where the headset cups were ground down to fit into the 1 inch headtube.  This was done by Dionrides(here on the forum) and sold to me.  So far, it seems to work okay.  There are probably more ways to get it to work, you just have to do some research and experimenting like Brain and Dion did. 
Above, one poster mentioned that it is not possible to acheive this: for a road bike with a 1'' ht. One of or a different method/s would work on a road bike or not possible?

''Dan'' from dansbicycleshop.us knows of the ''mixed'' headset, perhaps he could get one, perhaps.
Is there any way to stir up some interest from headset makers about this? I got the same view from a ''technician'' in a good bike shop here in Ireland-btw, there's alot of BMXers here-very popular.
He flatly and defiantly said it wasn't possible. I didn't mention about BMX bikes, and he didn't jump in about them either. Anyway, we see.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:06:11 PM by keeto »

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 08:53:18 PM »
what the heck ?

Old dudes can still rip

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 09:00:53 PM »
what the heck ?

Brian, looks like you need to patent this idea...and sell it to someone to make a few bucks.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 05:28:54 AM »
I guess so.
apparently there is a resurgence of a demand to ride vintage crap for some reason.
weird I guess.   haha

I like how ppl are saying it cant be done
cause ive made it a fiew diffrent times,  and have had no problems with it.

on a side note:
the us patent office is a rip off.   people there are thiefs
and unless you can afford a patent atturney from the start your doomed.
ive tried to submit numerous patent ideas to the office over the years
and have only met with frustration and heartake.
10 or so years ago I designed a hammer that holds its own nails.
then designed a bathroom shower mat made of textured material to exfoliate feet and rub off callaces and corns on them.
my most recent failure at getting a pattent was for a vammoc.
a hammoc that is designed to hang in a work truck or van.
this way - one worker can sleep on the way to the job while the other drives.
plenty of lazy ass people in americas work force would use and purchace this.
but trying to get an idea on paper and worded correctly from us patent office is rediculus
unless you pay a pattent attourney big bux from the start.
and believe me - if i had it,   id be ritch off the vammoc.  that thing would sell like crazy.
its all a big scam of some sort.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline midwestside

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 08:32:21 AM »
????

Theres a tech thread on this website about doing this, listing all parts needed and photo how to's.

It has been done MANY times and isnt hard.

I dont believe there will be any added stress either.

BMX 1" headsets arent 1", they are bigger. You couldnt put 1 1/8" forks in a 1" road bike.

Confusingly enough there are 2 different 1" headsets. There are some BMX's that use road bike size 1" headsets, but not many.

Unfortunately, many people who work at shops know little about what they sell.

Indeed, I just did a build of an old school MTB for a customer with a 1" threaded fork. The guy also bought a modern 1" threaded ritchey headset to 'upgrade' this older frame. The bulge part of his fork crown was a bmx/oldschool style 1"... Had to get it machined down to accept the 'road' crown race.

Brian84Corvette has an excellent guide on here for this.
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=28925.0

@Keeto, Most average local bike shops are focused on straightforward production and normal procedure. Unless you get a mechanic that loves a challenge, you are always gonna get guys giving you status quo responses.

Offline midwestside

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 08:47:04 AM »
I guess so.
apparently there is a resurgence of a demand to ride vintage crap for some reason.
weird I guess.   haha

I like how ppl are saying it cant be done
cause ive made it a fiew diffrent times,  and have had no problems with it.

on a side note:
the us patent office is a rip off.   people there are thiefs
and unless you can afford a patent atturney from the start your doomed.
ive tried to submit numerous patent ideas to the office over the years
and have only met with frustration and heartake.
10 or so years ago I designed a hammer that holds its own nails.
then designed a bathroom shower mat made of textured material to exfoliate feet and rub off callaces and corns on them.
my most recent failure at getting a pattent was for a vammoc.
a hammoc that is designed to hang in a work truck or van.
this way - one worker can sleep on the way to the job while the other drives.
plenty of lazy ass people in americas work force would use and purchace this.
but trying to get an idea on paper and worded correctly from us patent office is rediculus
unless you pay a pattent attourney big bux from the start.
and believe me - if i had it,   id be ritch off the vammoc.  that thing would sell like crazy.
its all a big scam of some sort.

I totally believe you about the patent thing. You see all these patent commercials that will send you a kit to submit your idea, most likely, legally usurping and owning your idea, under the guise of 'helping' you out.

Offline keeto

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 01:10:26 PM »
One poster above mentioned that this ''can't be done to a road bike'', that BMX hdsets have a different or have varying sizes.

Going to take measurements on the road bike.

The inside of the 1'' HSet is flush with the 1''  steerer tube, but there is a fair bit of space between Hed Tube and steerer...I don't have a 1 1/8'' headset so can't go on. DO sizes of relevant [1 1/8''] parts vary with makers?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:11:14 PM by keeto »

Offline midwestside

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 02:27:36 AM »
One poster above mentioned that this ''can't be done to a road bike'', that BMX hdsets have a different or have varying sizes.

Going to take measurements on the road bike.

The inside of the 1'' HSet is flush with the 1''  steerer tube, but there is a fair bit of space between Hed Tube and steerer...I don't have a 1 1/8'' headset so can't go on. DO sizes of relevant [1 1/8''] parts vary with makers?

Bout the 1 1/8 cups... I dont think they vary, unless its like one of those headsets that uses and oversized bottom cup/balls/race.
The only new additions to your 1" head tube bike will be the fork itself....an 1 1/8 crown race and top race.....and loose balls.

Offline keeto

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 09:04:23 AM »

The only new additions to your 1" head tube bike will be the fork itself....an 1 1/8 crown race and top race.....and loose balls.

should it just be a simple matter of fitting a 1 1/8'' headset to the 1'' Head-tube...? reading the above---I am either too tired or I've missed something. or both? or what? o-o-o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:11:21 AM by keeto »

Offline midwestside

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 07:08:52 PM »

should it just be a simple matter of fitting a 1 1/8'' headset to the 1'' Head-tube...? reading the above---I am either too tired or I've missed something. or both? or what? o-o-o

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=28925.0

Its all there...

Offline keeto

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 08:17:58 PM »
missed that, thanks.