Author Topic: Question on bikes.  (Read 3636 times)

Offline p0ta

Question on bikes.
« on: August 14, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »
Hey hey! My name is Henry, I am 18 years old and I live in Estonia. I am 185 cm tall (6'08" ?) and weigh about 70kgs. I've never owned a bmx before so I would like to get some information about getting the first bike.
Should I buy full bike or put one together from parts?
When I put one together, do I need brakes ? Front, rear or both ?
How much a good beginner bike would cost ?
And a little advice where to buy parts or full bike would be very useful!  ^_^

Thanks !

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Question on bikes.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Henry.  :mellow:
You won't want to spend too much until you know you like it and stick with it. For this reason, its best to buy a cheap but decent complete. Brakes are your preference, but its recommended, especially in the beginning.

Being from Estonia, you may get free shipping from Kunstform, but email them anyway.
http://www.kunstform.org/khe-2009-militant-am-bmx-bike-p-571.html?language=en

Flatlandfuel has just about everything for flatland and is very popular.
http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1322

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:57:58 PM by Paradoxium »

Offline Dr. Woofenstein (Hungen)

• Backpacker
Re: Question on bikes.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »
Hey hey! My name is Henry, I am 18 years old and I live in Estonia. I am 185 cm tall (6'08" ?) and weigh about 70kgs. I've never owned a bmx before so I would like to get some information about getting the first bike.
Should I buy full bike or put one together from parts?
When I put one together, do I need brakes ? Front, rear or both ?
How much a good beginner bike would cost ?
And a little advice where to buy parts or full bike would be very useful!  ^_^

Thanks !

I started last year and my approach was to get a used bike off eBay (~150€) and upgrade it over time with some used and some new parts to make it fit my needs. The reasoning behind this was that

- I wanted to start out right away and not look for parts for too long
- Bicycle parts (and completes of course) lose a lot of value once they are used. It doesn't seem to be as bad in Flatland as it is in other kinds of cycling (overhauled suspension every season, etc.), but it still played a role in my decision not to get something new just to try out riding.

That's more an anecdote than advice, but maybe you thought about similar things. So maybe add this forum's market section and eBay (maybe check the eBay sites of larger EU member countries) to your list of possible sources.

The advantage of the approach Paradoxium suggests is - in my eyes -, apart from the weak dollar which helps with Flatlandfuel and free shipping with Kunstform, that you get a warranty and that you know your parts don't have been to hell and back (as they might be if someone on eBay isn't really honest about his descriptions).

To add something more: Since you too are a taller guy, you might consider getting a frame that is around 19"(+). Frame sizing and geometry seem to be a matter of taste for the most part though, so there probably is no consensus on that issue.