Author Topic: painting a hub  (Read 1552 times)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
painting a hub
« on: August 12, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »
  Anyone ever done that?  how did it turn out?  Have you ever had problem with the paint chiping flaking off near or around the spoke holes?  Or has anyone had a hub powdercoating? 
 I am thinking of repainting my profile shell.  Or should I just leave it?  Thanks matt
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline yodazoo976

• Backpacker
Re: painting a hub
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
Ive had a few hubs powdercoated now with sucess. Only thing is its costs a bit. here is most recent:

an old french multispeed freewheel that I am going to thread a cog on for a fixed gear, done in white.

an unsealed front done in silver, then candy red over it (picture does not do the color justice!)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »
okay so powdercoating is the way to go then huh?
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 02:42:55 AM »
Anodizing.........Looks great, hard wearing.  Cannot be done if any non aluminium metals are attached. Cannot anodize magnesium.

Powdercoating......Hard wearing, can be costly if you're up for a minimum charge.

Spraypainting........Homemade job can be average, but professionally done works great. Hard wearing. Let it harden for a few days before lacing to wheel.

The advantages with powdercoating and spraypanting is you don't need to dismantle the hub. If its anodized, it needs complete stripping down.

If you decide to paint it at home, rub it all over with wet n dry abrasive paper to give the paint a good physical bond to stick to. Then give several light coats of epoxy.

I got both mine sprayed, here's the rear one.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:04:34 AM by Paradoxium »

Evil_Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »
I found some "anodize" spray paint in my local Auto Zone store.  I think it was Krylon but I don't remember.  Anyway, it's supposed to look like anodizing when it's done right (would be best over a polished part).  I'm going to try it the next time I get a chance.  If anyone else has used it I'd like to see how it turned out.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
 The front hub on my bike I did a half ass spray job like 3 years ago and Ive been riding it since the paints still fine,only a few scratches around the spoke holes..And Ive relaced it like 2 times since then..Its actually held up really good...I think cuz nothing really comes in contact with it ever..