Author Topic: Bent Rims!!??  (Read 2513 times)

joshs.

Bent Rims!!??
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »
I recently order a KHE Equlibrium. I set it up over the weekend and monday morn got to ride for the first time. After bout 20 min, i noticed the back and front tires were already startin to bend!! How did this happen!? I had the right PSI and everything. Any tips would be helpful on how to keep this from happen.

Offline Bamalama

• Cliffhanger
Re: Bent Rims!!??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
New wheels lose spoke tension and makes your wheel look bent. tighten the spokes and your good

joshs.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:46:35 PM »
New wheels lose spoke tension and makes your wheel look bent. tighten the spokes and your good
The spokes really arent loose, so i dont think thats the prob, but ill give it a shot.

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:33 PM »
Your rim should not be bent.

if all of your spokes are not tightened EVENLY you are going to have wobble and or hop in your rim.

There are tutorials on how to true a wheel properly.

If you can't figure it out take your wheels to a local shop and they should be able to do it for you cheap...

joshs.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:40:42 PM »

if all of your spokes are not tightened EVENLY you are going to have wobble and or hop in your rim.

If you can't figure it out take your wheels to a local shop and they should be able to do it for you cheap...
thanx that makes alot of sense, but i still think its ridiculous it bent after no more than 20 min.

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »

thanx that makes alot of sense, but i still think its ridiculous it bent after no more than 20 min.

new wheels will almost go out of true soon after first use. New spokes will stretch upon initial use and they do so unevenly thus throwing your wheel out of true. When it gets out of true enough that you cant stand it, retension and retrue.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

joshs.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

new wheels will almost go out of true soon after first use. New spokes will stretch upon initial use and they do so unevenly thus throwing your wheel out of true. When it gets out of true enough that you cant stand it, retension and retrue.
So is having the rim on new bikes become untrue a common problem?

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:34:07 AM »
Untrue, true. 

Yes, you're going to have to eventually true your rims.  There is nothing wrong with them...they just need maintenance.  Watch some online tutorials about truing rims...get you a spoke wrench and just take things slow.  Quarter turns.  You don't have to have a truing stand to do this...just use your brakes or wing it. 
"A puppet no more!"