Author Topic: crank length ?  (Read 3856 times)

Offline DredBass

• Forkglider
crank length ?
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »
hello! :ph34r:

I was thinking of getting some new cranks and i was wondering if shorter cranks make the pedaling really ridiculous. i'm about 170 cm tall aka 5.6 feet tall

cranks = 145 mm
driver = 11T
sprocket = 24T

Thanx in advance :beer:
still the shortest

Offline Julian Matias

• Hitchhiker
Re: crank length ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »
my friend uses 145mm, im nearly 190 cms and I can still ride them perfectly. Hope it helps.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
im 6foot 1 or somthing lioke that and ride hindenburgs, I think they are 145. Works for me.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:24:41 PM »
They ride good,its just might feel awkard in some pedal tricks and more comfortable in others.
depends in what direction is the bike.
i am selling my st martin cranks by the way.pm me if you are interested

Offline automaton

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:45:07 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. I'm using some Redline racing cranks and was wondering if the smaller cranks make pedaling completely silly.

My cranks are 180mm
sprocket is 44t
freewheel 16t
My feet clip the rear pegs sometimes and during rear wheel tricks when my cranks spin around I have to be careful the pedals don't tag me on the pegs. It seems like most cranks are 145mm or so and that just sounds waaaay too small to me considering I also use this bike as transportation. If I did swap out for smaller cranks I'd really need to ditch the 44 tooth dinner plate as well. What's the smallest sprocket that still is a good gear ratio to be used with a 16t rear? I can't go too small with the sprocket since my rear brakes are on the chainstay.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. I'm using some Redline racing cranks and was wondering if the smaller cranks make pedaling completely silly.

My cranks are 180mm
sprocket is 44t
freewheel 16t
My feet clip the rear pegs sometimes and during rear wheel tricks when my cranks spin around I have to be careful the pedals don't tag me on the pegs. It seems like most cranks are 145mm or so and that just sounds waaaay too small to me considering I also use this bike as transportation. If I did swap out for smaller cranks I'd really need to ditch the 44 tooth dinner plate as well. What's the smallest sprocket that still is a good gear ratio to be used with a 16t rear? I can't go too small with the sprocket since my rear brakes are on the chainstay.

I went from 180 to 165 once It didn't feel 'silly' to pedal at all...You could prob run down to  a 36 maybe even 33 with c.s. brakes if you just get a smaller cog for the rear....

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
I have 145mm cranks and they are fine for flat.  If you ride other styles, longer ones may be more preferable. 

Also keep in mind that the frame you are using may determine if you want shorter cranks.  On a frame with short chainstays like the Tantra, 145s are great as you do not hit the back pegs as much. 

With a 11/24 ratio, you shouldn't have much trouble riding out with the less leverage of the shorter cranks.
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »

My cranks are 180mm
sprocket is 44t
freewheel 16t

Hey man, I'm all about the old school bikes too...but you should really try a freecoaster and some smaller gears.  I ride 165mm cranks...and, I too use my bike for transportation.  They feel good.  You could try a 39 or 40 with a 16, and it would still feel good to ride for transportation. 

I'm going to put together a Dyno frame with new technology.  Freecoaster and shorter cranks too. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline automaton

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:14 PM »
Yeah I do wanna switch to a freecoaster at some point but it's a money issue really. I'd be spending money on the freecoaster hub, then I'd have to pay someone to lace it to my wheel, then I have to get the smaller cranks and the smaller sprocket and the newer chain to fit these parts. I figure I'd start with the cranks and work from there. I think I'll try to find something 165mm. That should be good. I don't think I'll switch the sprocket until I get rid of the freewheel.

Offline DredBass

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:00:32 AM »
I have 145mm cranks and they are fine for flat.  If you ride other styles, longer ones may be more preferable. 

Also keep in mind that the frame you are using may determine if you want shorter cranks.  On a frame with short chainstays like the Tantra, 145s are great as you do not hit the back pegs as much. 

With a 11/24 ratio, you shouldn't have much trouble riding out with the less leverage of the shorter cranks.

thanx :ph34r:
still the shortest

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 01:23:38 AM »
Yeah I do wanna switch to a freecoaster at some point but it's a money issue really. I'd be spending money on the freecoaster hub, then I'd have to pay someone to lace it to my wheel, then I have to get the smaller cranks and the smaller sprocket and the newer chain to fit these parts. I figure I'd start with the cranks and work from there. I think I'll try to find something 165mm. That should be good. I don't think I'll switch the sprocket until I get rid of the freewheel.

Yeah, flatland is def not cheap these days.  I started riding flat again...and got a DK Opsis...which most of the parts ended up on a Strowler.  I never rode a freecoaster before recently...and feel blessed that the sport has progressed to new heights.  Still wonder how we ever rode without freecoasters back in the day. 

Hey, is anyone riding a coaster brake these days?  I was thinking of putting one on my bike...and riding "brakeless"...just use the coaster to stop when I peddle around for transportation.  Any good coaster brakes out there?
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 04:11:46 AM »
Hey, sorry so late, but this is my first post here and I saw this thread and the question about coaster brakes. I actually recently purchased some TuffWheels with coaster brakes form Ed at Planet BMX for my 87 Haro Master. I just got back into bikes again (flatland mostly) about 2 months ago, after skateboarding for about 15 years, and i'm really loving it.

For some reason I decided to get a coaster brake...i dunno maybe it was the youtubing of old Ron Wilkerson videos or something... anyway i remember being attracted to the idea of re-learning some old kick ramp tricks, not to mention not having to watch my pedals spin backwards all the time.

I'm still trying to get used to them after about 2 weeks of riding. You have to make sure to preset your pedals in the deadzone before backwardsy tricks or else you either stop or end up pedaling backwards anyway. It's really tricky at first, but then again I am a novice! Actually in my opinion, lots of flat tricks seem to be hindered, not made easier by the coaster brake.

I'm hoping i'll either get used to it in the next month, or maybe i'll try and convert it to an un-brake or something. Still haven't got around to those kick-ramp tricks yet...

BTW i can't wait to convert from my 180mm cranks to something like 165mm. I have the same issues with my heels clipping the pegs. So annoying!

Offline iceqb25

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »
20T x 11T or 20T x 9T