Author Topic: brake set up  (Read 9190 times)

Offline supersprocket

brake set up
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »
I just bought a equilibrium and want to run back brakes,can i put a gyro set up with my swiss miss bars or do i have to get a stem and bars for the gyro.Im also having front brake issues i have to sqeeze them so hard to make them even work half ass,there put on perfect and work smoother than anything ive ever felt before but they just dont stick very good, i even take them off and sand them.

Budz

Re: brake set up
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:01:40 AM »
pretty sure u can run a gyro with Swiss Miss bars. just as long as ur steerer tube is long enough to raise the bar height so u can fit an upper gyro plater under the bars and still have enough travel space for the gyro to go up n down.

hit the search button at the top of the page for settin up your brakes.
id post some tips but i gotta run out for a few.

Budz

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:05:33 AM »
if your brakes are running smoothly, thats probably not the problem. it most likely has to do with ur brake pads and/or rims.
what brake pads and rims are u using?
if u are using colored rims-u most likely want a tackier brake pad.
if u use chrome rims-u dont need the pads to be as tacky.

also, have u tried cleaning the pads and rims with Simple Green?
sometimes that a pretty easy but temporary fix to brake probs.

check the pad alignment too. bad pad alignment will cause poor braking too.
make sure the springs are set so that both pads contact the rim at the same time.

Offline supersprocket

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
thanx man ill try simple green,the brakes tuch at the same time they work perfect they just dont stop the wheel they slip alittle.what came with the equilibrium is whats on for parts i foget what the wheels are,and dont know what the pads are.I think i might just buy a chrome wheel ive read that they give u the best braking power out there.

Offline subscene

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:40:09 AM »
try cleaning the rims & the pads with gasoline..

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 02:41:01 PM »
 hopefully this helps?
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline kingofauzi

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:53:46 AM »
I have the Equilibrium 2009 too, and the only good piece in the brake system is the lever... You can change the cable (not really bad but not so good), the brake (crappy) and the brake pads (pieces of sh**). I've done that and the braking was really more powerfull (don't forget to sand your new brake pads).

If you can't buy all this in one time, just beggin by changing the brake pads, this is the worst part of the brake system (I don't understand why, the rest of the bike (except the sprocket) is really nice, but the brake system is really sh*tty).

And for the rotor I'm not sure that you'll be able to mount it with the Tanaka LT fork, I got the Odyssey GTX rotor and when I've tried to mount it the steerer tube was too short, it was not fiting entirely into the stem part of the bar. But I haven't mounted it entirely because the shop forgot to send me a piece of the rotor (a cable), and now I ride brakeless so I'll not try to mount it for the moment.

Hope it will help you.

@ ++

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 02:25:34 AM »
I just want to add that I run Tektro brakes and whatever cheap pads come with them...and a black painted rim.  They stop on a dime.  Even "crappy" brakes and pads can be made to work properly.  Just keep em clean, and maybe a light sanding to the brake pads(I didn't have to do this...) and you should be good to go.  Simple Green will work wonders.  Just wanted to add this, before you went out and spent a lot of money on new parts.

If all else fails...and you want "ultimate" braking power...add soda to the rims like we did back in the day...your brakes won't want to release once clamped down.  We did this in an era when there were only pogo tricks and you wanted your brakes to bite.  The soda dries up, and makes a serious sticky mess...but your brakes will have never worked better.  This is ofcourse is a joke...I mean, we really did it...but DON'T do this...I repeat...DON'T DO THIS.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline kingofauzi

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 02:39:19 AM »
I just want to add that I run Tektro brakes and whatever cheap pads come with them...and a black painted rim.  They stop on a dime.  Even "crappy" brakes and pads can be made to work properly.  Just keep em clean, and maybe a light sanding to the brake pads(I didn't have to do this...) and you should be good to go.  Simple Green will work wonders.  Just wanted to add this, before you went out and spent a lot of money on new parts.

If all else fails...and you want "ultimate" braking power...add soda to the rims like we did back in the day...your brakes won't want to release once clamped down.  We did this in an era when there were only pogo tricks and you wanted your brakes to bite.  The soda dries up, and makes a serious sticky mess...but your brakes will have never worked better.  This is ofcourse is a joke...I mean, we really did it...but DON'T do this...I repeat...DON'T DO THIS.
Believe me, even when the bike was out the box, with the brake perfectly adjusted, a perfectly clean rim and perfectly sanded brake pads, the braking was crappy...

And when I've mounted the Diatech Hombre with Kool-Stop brake pads(I've heard that Hombre's brake pads are nice but I wanted the best ^^) immediately the braking has became ten times more powerfull...

@ ++
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:21:51 AM by kingofauzi »

Offline supersprocket

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 02:57:13 AM »
thankyou for all the help to every respond.I think ill just get realy good pads for starters.i wish i was good enough to just ride brakeless but that is just about as far away as the distance of the moon is from the otherside of the world.

Offline Claude

• Backpacker

Offline kingofauzi

• Forkglider
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 03:49:20 AM »
thankyou for all the help to every respond.I think ill just get realy good pads for starters.i wish i was good enough to just ride brakeless but that is just about as far away as the distance of the moon is from the otherside of the world.
I was thinking the same thing, but in fact it's not so harder, and it's really fun (I'm a begginer, and for example tailwhip is really more fun without brakes than with brakes).

I gone brakeless because my brake cable was tired, so I've rided few days brakeless while waiting for my new brake cable and when I've received it I haven't mounted it because I've found brakeless riding funnier (harder but funnier).

99% of the tricks can be done brakeless, so why not try ? If you don't like it you'll just have to take 15 minutes to put back your brakes :).

@ ++

Offline supersprocket

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 03:58:35 AM »
very true,eveything i do (wich isnt much) i actually do without brakes exept squekers and tail wips,but im trying to get backwords hang5s down wich isnt coming as fast as i would like.

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 04:51:08 AM »
chrome rims...........nuff said.

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »
The easiest way to run a gyro with the Swissmiss is to use an Odyssey fork. They have a 185mm steer tube.