Author Topic: brake set up  (Read 9193 times)

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Re: brake set up
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »
Sorry to jack but I doubt anyone will see my question under the Front Brake how to. I'm rocking Revenge brakes and there's no bullet or barrel adjuster. I know the brakes work fine. I have everything cut and lubed. I go to pull the cable through the first post and through the 2nd. I stick cardboard between the pads and rim (to ensure there's room for the wheel the spin) I pull on the cable (not too tight -if I pull too tight the housing doesn't go right up to the first post like it should) and tighten the post bolt. As soon as I let it go - the pads clamp back down on the rim. I'm not sure what's the deal. Anyone have any suggestions....
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 05:03:50 AM »
Sorry to jack but I doubt anyone will see my question under the Front Brake how to. I'm rocking Revenge brakes and there's no bullet or barrel adjuster. I know the brakes work fine. I have everything cut and lubed. I go to pull the cable through the first post and through the 2nd. I stick cardboard between the pads and rim (to ensure there's room for the wheel the spin) I pull on the cable (not too tight -if I pull too tight the housing doesn't go right up to the first post like it should) and tighten the post bolt. As soon as I let it go - the pads clamp back down on the rim. I'm not sure what's the deal. Anyone have any suggestions....

Sounds like you just need to increase the spring tension so it pulls the pads away from your rim.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 06:30:04 AM »
So it's not abnormal to need to add tension to the springs BEFORE setting the correct tension to the cable? The way the how-to reads, I figd initial tension didn't matter, but I will def try that. It had crossed my mind the springs were TOO tight so I had loosened them to non successful results.  Thank you man. I feel like a chump, it's a brake lol!

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »
Hey Ray,
Make sure you are adding tension in the correct direction. When looking at the brake from the front, the left side turns counter-clockwise and clockwise for the right.

Edit: Maybe it's vice versa? It's easy when I'm actually doing it! Just can't seem to visualize it this early in the morning :P
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 02:52:41 PM by pawnshopmike »

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 03:19:57 PM »
lol I hear ya - the video (matt Bmx) / How-to shows me how to do that. For some reason my cable is still not working right though adjusting the tension did help. The housing moves after I set the cable in the pinch bolt and have it "tensioned" and there is slack in the lever and ultimately at the arms. Hard to explain. sucks I won't be able to work on this til tomorrow or tuesday. I appreciate the help Mike. I;d of started a new thread (to OP) but I didn't want to clog up the boards w yet another brake thread. Believe I've searched through all the threads lol, you tube, google etc

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 04:19:14 PM »
hey brown sound...

you need some tension in there before you go and make final adjustments.

What i do is close up the allen bolts just snug, and then push on the brake as if the cable was pulling it, and then add tension just until you feel it snapping away from the wheel.  Repeat for the other side, run the cable, make sure your adjusters (on the lever and cable) are all the way in, and then close the brakes with no more then a credit cards space between the pad and the rim. I then can fine tune my brakes in a snap using the adjusters. One turn out gives me really quick grabs for whips and things, while one turn in gives me excellent feathering.

If we ever meet i will set up your brakes for you.

I may not be good at riding but my bike is pretty damn dialed  ;D ;D :beer: :beer:
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
Word Birdman  :P ;D :beer: Thank you for real, I just have to figure out what's up w the cable. Hoping to get up to my boys shop so he can show me what the hell I'm doing wrong w the cable. Like I said the cable housing will be snug up against the first post in the brake arm and then I'll squeeze and it moves (so it's not snug up against that first post) despite having it tightened down.  Thank you Dave and if I ever meet up w you, I think I can swing a slice!

Offline Claude

• Backpacker
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 01:55:44 AM »
Word Birdman  :P ;D :beer: Thank you for real, I just have to figure out what's up w the cable. Hoping to get up to my boys shop so he can show me what the hell I'm doing wrong w the cable. Like I said the cable housing will be snug up against the first post in the brake arm and then I'll squeeze and it moves (so it's not snug up against that first post) despite having it tightened down.  Thank you Dave and if I ever meet up w you, I think I can swing a slice!

I'm trying to visualize what you are saying and what it could be.  It may be that your (new) cable is stretching a little bit.  But it wouldn't stretch that much on one pull.  Maybe some slipping through the knarp on the other end but it sounds like you are tightening that solid.  If you could get a barrel adjuster on the brake end as well as the lever, using those should help take out whatever slack comes after you tighten it down. 

I think these guys are on the right track though and your springs are just not pushing your brake arms back out all the way so it looks like the housing has slack again.

Take pics if you keep having the problem.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 02:36:42 PM »
I'm going to apologize in advance that I actually made you think...and I sincerely mean that lol I'm just a complete idiot. My cable had slipped out of the post and ended up "looking" like it was through the post even though it wasn't hence the slippage. I'm embarassed to even admit that, but since you were nice enough to post a suggestion lol

That all said, it was so easy! It's not dialed yet, but I'd imagine it's all down to tension how far the arms/pads are away from the rim. I also cut my cable perfect so no zip ties is needed and it doesn't rub. Thank you guys. Now totackle dual lower cable set ups.....yikes. For the record, U Brakes have scared me forever and when I couldn't figure out the tension thing (w the pads rubbing against the rim) I freaked, similar to the feeling I had when i first took apart my Nankai. Thx again guys!

Rai //

I'm trying to visualize what you are saying and what it could be.  It may be that your (new) cable is stretching a little bit.  But it wouldn't stretch that much on one pull.  Maybe some slipping through the knarp on the other end but it sounds like you are tightening that solid.  If you could get a barrel adjuster on the brake end as well as the lever, using those should help take out whatever slack comes after you tighten it down. 

I think these guys are on the right track though and your springs are just not pushing your brake arms back out all the way so it looks like the housing has slack again.

Take pics if you keep having the problem.