Author Topic: Picking a spot.  (Read 6158 times)

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
Picking a spot.
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »
I'm having a really hard time finding a spot that fits my criteria. I'm looking for a place that obviously is flat and w/o sand. Also when by myself, I like to ride in peace, so a quiet place without alot of onlookers. I also don't want to ride in a completely sketchy place either, where I'd feel the need to watch my back in fear of being jumped for my bike.

I've been to a few tennis courts, alot are still locked up from the winter and the ones that aren't usually don't last long before tennis players come in and I have to leave. I've also tried a local Middle School but it's still very sandy and busy with clueless SUV drivers dropping off their kids at the surrounding fields for practices. They always seem to be drawn to drive through the parking lot in the exact spot where I'm riding, even though it's huge.

Basically I need to find a place where I can concentrate on riding and not get discouraged from doing so by stupid things going on around me.

Where do you ride? How did you choose it? Does it suit your needs? Any advice for me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Picking a spot.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:18:34 PM »
Find a church, they usually have big lots that aren't full of cars during most of the week.  The lots I've ridden at over the years are usually pretty flat and semi-smooth. 

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »
try industrial estates, the one near me is pritty perfect no hastle, shut on weekends and after 5 during the week
slater

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 03:59:03 PM »
hey
1st of all i have to tell u that u will find your perfect spot not when u r lloking 4 it, it will hapen just like that when u will least expect it ;)
i like to ride in quite and peacfull places too, so i recomend u to look for somekind of garages or smthnk like that. and sandy spot is nothink to worry about, just use a sweep and everythink will be fine hehe, thats how i do it. i sweep my spot regulary every second day...
this is my paradise-private garage with nobody around just me and my bike

KHE King

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:25:22 PM »
get a leafblower. Try dr offices and industrial parks.   I use a street hockey rink.

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
Google Earth helps sometimes too.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
I suggest riding around like the street riders do.  Just ride aimlessly until you find some decent spots.  I'm blessed in that I ride my bikes for transportation...so I am always aware of every nook and cranny of the town I live in.  Also, connect with local riders...they can show you spots.  If all else fails...maybe you can build a spot?  Ramp riders build ramps...you can build flat spots. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline djmikec

• Backpacker
    • BMXFlatland.Net
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
Keep an eye out for places that are closed on Sundays or weekends.  Then at least you will have those days covered.
Check out BmxFlatland.Net, created to help beginning BMX flatland riders to learn about, participate in, and enjoy the art/sport of flatland.

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
look for public schools they have like big lot playgrounds, for recess, if you can find some that leve there gates open, go, i have 3 schools in a very close radious. my house is right in the middle, one school is being re-newed and its VERY smooth

underground parkinglots, parks, ababndoned buildings,

oh, and googlemaps, satelite imaging, look for spots  :ph34r:
wait till i get my bike together =D..just wait

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
Just enjoy the journey of finding different spots and riding different surfaces.

Even if you find what your looking for, you will probably eventuly stumble upon an even better spot later on.

TJ Perry

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 07:47:45 PM »
Use google earth to look for parking lots!

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 08:05:26 PM »
Use google earth to look for parking lots!

I have to use street view around here, just to make sure they're level. goddamn WV hills

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »
Google map is an awesome idea...but nothing beats actually riding your bike to find spots.  That's how street got huge...flatlanders riding around and riding street on the way to spots. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
Google map is an awesome idea...but nothing beats actually riding your bike to find spots.  That's how street got huge...flatlanders riding around and riding street on the way to spots. 

word.

I ride street on my flat bike... just riding to and from spots got me so damn good at street. I admit... it is funny to see me do a peg manual onto a ledge and *almost* 180 off =D
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 08:38:06 AM »

word.

I ride street on my flat bike... just riding to and from spots got me so damn good at street. I admit... it is funny to see me do a peg manual onto a ledge and *almost* 180 off =D

The beauty of riding everything is...you never run out of spots.  The whole world is a spot.  Stuck in the woods somewhere?  Build some jumps.  Cement and cityscape all jacked up?  Creates ample street spots.  Your flatland parking lot now becoming a Target Super Center?  Steal the wood and build a vert ramp...blast some air and then take a break and ride flat on the flatbottom of the ramp.

Disclaimer:  Stealing wood could land you in jail...and that's not a good "spot".  Sorry, but they don't allow you to bring your bike to jail with you.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:39:51 AM by tod.borndead »
"A puppet no more!"