Author Topic: Jomopro recap and thanks  (Read 9040 times)

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
Jomopro recap and thanks
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:16:27 AM »
This past weekend was one of the best weekends of my life. While the last few weeks have been incredibly stressful while putting together this event, the end result was well worth it. We now have another world class event for flatland in North America.

The first thanks go to Catfish and Fat Tony. Without them helping me push the Jomopro organizers to add flatland this event would have never happened. Beyond that Catfish was responsible for driving the energy of the entire contest with his incredible job on the mic. Fat was instrumental in helping with the organizing leading up to the event. His help with sponsors, rider contacts and multiple other details are greatly appreciated. Then he worked his butt off all weekend to cover both the park and flatland events and promptly get video and results up on the web. Looking at his schedule for the weekend would about make someone faint. Although Fat makes a living covering bmx, he could surely make more $$$ doing something else with his talents. His love for bmx and especially flatland is evident. I cant wait to see what he puts together in print!

Thank you to everyone at The Bridge who organize Jomopro. Lindsay, Jeremiah, Paul, Matt and everyone else there showed us the ultimate in hospitality. We never wanted for anything all weekend. They provided the ultimate venue. Food and drink were always there for us before we even thought we wanted it. They did not know what they were getting with a flatland event but we still had the same support that the park event did. To top it off they were as stoked on flatland as we are stoked on them. Incredible people at The Bridge.

Thank you to the judges. TJ Perry, Art Thomason, Josh Duffek, Kelly Baldwin, Lee Edwards, Bryan Huffman and Adam Diclaudio. These guys had the hardest job at the event and they provided their services unselfishly. These guys, some not even competing, traveled to the event on their own dime to help. We owe them so much thanks.

Thank you to Hector Garcia. Hector had the brilliant idea of streaming the event live on the web. So many people who could not attend have Hector to thank for sharing this experience live.

Thank you to Katie Prey here at flatlandfuel. Katie was pretty much glued to the computers all weekend. Besides creating spreadsheets to track and tabulate judges scores she was busy inputing those scores as well as working a second computer to run the timer and display riders names. I would be lost without her and so would all of you :)

Of course the biggest thanks go to all of you who attended this contest. Without you there it would not have happened. I got to meet many of you for the first time this weekend and it is inspiring to know what great people make up the flatland community. The friendship and brotherhood amongst all of you is the reason why flatland events are so enjoyable. They are so much more than just a contest.

Thank you to everyone competing and spectating the park event. You made us feel welcome and you came in droves to watch pro flat finals even though our finals were delayed 3 hours waiting for your event to end. We had faith you would come see flatland if we waited and you did. Pro finals would not have been the same without you there.

Thank you to the sponsors. We were a last minute addition to Jomopro. They decided to include flat just 7 weeks before the event and because the budget was already set for this year, Fat and I were responsible for securing all sponsorship ourself. The companies that supported this event are Profile, Odyssey, Zion, Primo, Diversion, Redbull, Hoffman Bikes, DK, KHE, Quamen, Fly/Suelo, St Martin, Colony and Flatlandfuel. The economy is bad right now and everyone is holding on tight to their money but these companies stepped up and helped in every way they could to make sure we had money for the pro purse and product for the ams. Thank you. Please show your support to these companies. Of course the sponsors of the park contest provided funding that indirectly helped support our event also. Thanks to them as well.

The final thanks go to the Zamboni. I don't know if you have a name but you were a blessing this weekend. You kept the floor so squeaky clean. I wanted to bring you home with me. You would love life in the flatlandfuel warehouse. Until we meet again....

I am sure I forgot to thank somebody. If so, I sincerely apoligize.

We all need to start planning for Jomopro in April 2010! Before that though is Voodoo Jam. August 1st. We all need to be there!

Please share you experiences here about Jomopro. Your experiences will help motivate even more people to attend next year and for me to make sure this event gets even better.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:52:44 AM by PSchoolen »
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Prasheel

Re: Jomopro recap and thanks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »
I'll type up more when I finally make it all the way back home, but we're stuck in a snow storm right now half way home.

All I have to say is the event was so incredible.  Obviously a huge thanks to Pat, Fat, and all the guys at The Bridge.  This contest blew me (Cory, Prasheel and my dad) away.  Everything was so well done, I can't even believe how great it was!

When we realized we had to drive an extra 10 hours to make this event (because Prasheel sucks at life) we didn't even question whether or not we were going to do it.  It was just "sigh, lets go".  Haha, will NOT miss this next year.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:23:40 AM »
Congrats to you Alex, I like how you completely stepped up your game.  Who says you don't progress...oh, wait.  Wrong thread.  I kid, I kid.  But seriously,  awesome riding.  Will we be expecting you to join the pro ranks any time soon?

Man, I can't believe this...I mean I can't believe I missed this.  I am sitting out after surgery, but I so want to start going to contests again.  I have heard nothing but positive stuff about this contest.  I would like to say big ups to Catfish and Fat for representing flat...especially since a lot of people are negative towards it on RideBMX.  I'm sure they catch a lot of sh*t for it from immature little rats there, so special kudos to them.  The footage and photos I have seen is awesome.  I WILL be going next year...maybe I should finally enter a contest. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Fat Tony

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:29:54 AM »
I just got home...and by home I mean I flew to California and went straight from the airport to my office. Lots of work and very little sleep this weekend have my brain and body in lots of pain at the moment--and I fly to France tomorrow night for Ninja Spin (on my own dime and vacation time).

Hopefully I can dig within me to write a legit recap from my perspective soon. I'd love to share but I want it to be thorough.

But I will say, "THANK YOU." To everyone.
<3
- Flat Tony

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:38:31 AM »
grats bro. wish i could have been there to support flatland.

expect to see me out at one of these major events after '11 when i graduate, shouting and supporting everyone!

Prasheel

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:52:45 AM »
Tod:  Definitely not jumping to pro anytime soon...Haha, any of the guys in the finals (including some guys not in the finals) could have beat me, I just got lucky in the end.  Not ready to jump to pro anytime soon, haha, but hopefully I keep progressing like I have been lately.

Fat:  You are awesome.  We <3 you.

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 02:27:46 AM »
I wonder how your going to get that sword across the border there Alex. (P.S. I talked to your mom while watching pro practice)

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 02:31:38 AM »
Thank you Pat for all that you do! It was a Amazing weekend meeting so many new people that I have never met before. I filled 6 tapes full of Practice,Interviews,Qualifications and Final Jams and Lots of Comments.

I JoMoPro will forever be on my Calendar as a must stop like Voodoo Jam!

I will post a heart warming story latter on tonight.

Keep on Riding!

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 03:01:21 AM »
Yes many thanks to everyone involved with JoMoPro! My family and I had a great time. The venue was top notch, the people were great and a positive vibe was in the air all weekend. We shall return.

It was really great meeting people face to face for the first time. It was great sitting court side and being able to interact with the pros. They are all so down to earth regular Joes. No big egos here. This truly is the greatest sport of all.

Here's my favorite pic from the weekend.
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/pawnshopmike/AndyCooperPhotoshop2.jpg

Thanks to all! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline Esham

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 03:10:52 AM »
Yes many thanks to everyone involved with JoMoPro! My family and I had a great time. The venue was top notch, the people were great and a positive vibe was in the air all weekend. We shall return.

It was really great meeting people face to face for the first time. It was great sitting court side and being able to interact with the pros. They are all so down to earth regular Joes. No big egos here. This truly is the greatest sport of all.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/pawnshopmike/AndyCooperPhotoshop2.jpg

Thanks to all! :beer: :beer: :beer:

That is a sweet pic. Great job on the photoshop. The back-light realy MAKES the photo with the reflection on the floor. Keep up the great work.

Offline Fat Tony

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 03:23:13 AM »
Quote from:
[url=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/pawnshopmike/AndyCooperPhotoshop2.jpg
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/pawnshopmike/AndyCooperPhotoshop2.jpg[/url]

I'll send you an invoice for letting you borrow my flash. Haha
 ;D

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 05:18:28 AM »
Tod:  Definitely not jumping to pro anytime soon...Haha, any of the guys in the finals (including some guys not in the finals) could have beat me, I just got lucky in the end.  Not ready to jump to pro anytime soon, haha, but hopefully I keep progressing like I have been lately.

Fat:  You are awesome.  We <3 you.

Oh Alex, don't sell yourself short.  I saw the "training" videos...no luck involved.  Just hard work on your part.   I'm gonna nag you until next year...so you keep progressing until you do go pro.  You probably won't make it to the finals...but you have the "chops" to ride at that level.  And besides...when I finally enter a comp, I need you to bump up a level, so that there is room in the amateur ranks for me. 

Speaking of which...they need an "I'm an old man, with two bad knees...which doesn't matter, because I suck anyhow" class.   I think I would do well in that class.  But, in all honestly, maybe I should enter a contest...would give me the motivation to progress on my bike...and give myself a goal.  Not to win, just to FINALLY compete.  What's the lowest class you can enter at Jomopro?  Maybe I should commit now to entering that class next year.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 05:20:32 AM »
Quote from:
[url=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/pawnshopmike/AndyCooperPhotoshop2.jpg
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/pawnshopmike/AndyCooperPhotoshop2.jpg[/url]

I'll send you an invoice for letting you borrow my flash. Haha
 ;D

LOL! Thanks for the FAT light! I owe you for sure. Maybe I'll let you use it in the mag and we'll be even :P hehe And thanks Esham. I almost deleted that pic until I thought photoshop might save it.

Offline indyBarber73

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
Thanks Fat Tony and Pat from ff and all the crew from Jomo for making this happen,It truly was with out a doubt a very well put together event.Mad Props to Catfish dude straight up got the crowd involved.Very very energetic,Indy Crew will be back for sure next year,I'll BE BACK with a cleaner run count on it.Straight up love everybody that has flatland OCD,North America Flatland representing so far with Fight with flight,Jomopro,Voodoo.  What What!!!!! P.S Thanks to Mark"RadDad"Dandridge and George for capturing some seriously sweet pics of everybody!!! you guys RULE.          THANK YOU JOMOPRO again for this          Chris Armstrong
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:43:21 PM by indyBarber73 »

Offline monis

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »
This contest f-ing ruled!!!  It was well worth the drive down, and I'm looking forward to next year.  The vibe there was great, everyone was cheering everyone on, there were no bad vibes from anyone, no drama(as far as I can tell) and the contest was very well put together.  Catfish was an awesome MC, and it was cool to meet some new people.  Even the catered sandwiches were good.  The floor was probably the best surface I've ever ridden on.  It was awesome to see Pat and some other people that I haven't seen in a long time.  Pralex was on point with gaying up the place, and that pre-game show with Pralex/Hector was a blast.  See y'all next year. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:12:40 PM by monis »