Author Topic: Constructive Critism for CFO on Flatland Unlimited Contest  (Read 27677 times)

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Constructive Critism for CFO on Flatland Unlimited Contest
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:02 AM »
Jesus Brandon...I'm just giving my personal opinion and trying to be respectful...I'm not demanding they meet my needs...I tried to say over and over that I really appreciate what happens.  Your clear sarcasm is pretty obvious in how you feel about what I think, i even asked for people to please not be dicks about it, and you come off making comments clearly trying to humiliate me?

Like I totally knew this thread was going to turn into this too, but I tried to be respectful and just give my opinion and the opinion of friends/family on the event.  If you want to sh*t on all my ideas Brandon, go ahead, but I'm not going to give you a response of any intelligence either.

f*cking christ.

First of all I was only teasing about the bandanna thing, it's only "awkward at best" for me to see it, so if you can say such things about others you ought to have thick enough skin to have someone say it about you and take it on the chin. Second, I didn't crap on all of your ideas--I only addressed a few of them--and I tried to give reasons to explain my views like you asked. I even tried to explain the rationale behind some of the decisions made. Whatever other 'sarcasm' you may have read into what I wrote you should not take take personally--my post was a general response to some of the opinions raised.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline AddisonM

• Backpacker
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 06:56:51 AM »
The MTV Generation (known as the Much Music Generation in Canada) is a term sometimes used to refer to (middle and upper class) people born between roughly 1975-1986, a generation whose adolescence and coming of age is perceived to have been heavily influenced by 1990s era popular culture in general and mass media in particular.

damn you 29-34 year olds with no attention span.

The source was wikipedia, not credible.. but credible enough for my point.

I think he meant to cut up the Millennial Generation.
I'd rather have AIDS than buy another Nankai.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »

There is absolutely zero positives about holding demos without music or someone there to hype of the crowd. The only reason that nobody is sayng anything about it is because it's f*cking CHASE CHASE CHASE. To tell people "if you don't like it don't watch it" is kind of silly especially when you have other riders at the event who clearly drew more interest than anything Chase was doing.

If it was anyone but CHASE GOUIN we would all point to it and think it's stupid, but since it is.. well.. clearly being against such a thing is an indefensible position to anyone above the MTV generation  :rolleyes:

1-Why not have a break in the music? 

2-People are 'saying things' so I guess Chase isn't immune to others comments on chat boards.

3- I don't think its silly to say don't watch it if you aren't interested: riders and their friends/family aren't the only spectators and not all people have the same tastes and sensibilities. Thus changing it up a little may appeal to different people. For those impressed by what happens during practice--cool, why not cover both of these bases? 

I'm not going to defend these points at length but I think they at least amount to an opposing view. However, I do think it is kind of mean spirited to rip on his demos and he is my friend so it does bum me out.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
The MTV Generation (known as the Much Music Generation in Canada) is a term sometimes used to refer to (middle and upper class) people born between roughly 1975-1986, a generation whose adolescence and coming of age is perceived to have been heavily influenced by 1990s era popular culture in general and mass media in particular.

Nice detective work but I wasn't looking to cut up anyone. The point was only that if you don't have the attention span or care to watch the demo, nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to do so.

Have I invoked the wrath of the entire "team Pralex" by poking back a little? If so, maybe now you know a little about how it feels to be on this end of things. It's a real bummer to spend a weekend 'giving back' only to get an earful of inconsiderate meanness.

Prasheel

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 07:35:20 AM »
My entire post I tried to convey that I wasn't trying to be "mean".  Chase IS a great rider, no body disagrees with this, I just don't think this goes beyond riders.  Not much riding does, hell, you have to know this, I spin in a sh*tty backwards circle and the crowd likes me, but you know what i wish I was doing, bloody effin ten whiplashes...But I can't because they are stupidly impossible...But the general public doesn't know this.

However, Chase's riding is impressive, its the situation that doesn't reach its full potential I think...I'm not saying "f*ck the demos", I'm saying try and do it differently, we had zero crowd this year for anything, even during the pro finals, the crowd was so thin, this is what upsets me.  It upsets me that someone as good as Chase doesn't get respect from anyone but other riders.

Offline AddisonM

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 07:38:12 AM »
Alex is a big boy, he can take care of his own comments, I was just defending myself on a non flatland basis. The fact that  I'm born in a certain era  means I miraculously have problems with attention span, has zero to do with CFO Alex or gf.

I think you guys did a great job, but having a beginner category with short runs is something i'd like to see for next year,  and that battle format seems to be of interest in the community of flatland, so maybe it's a good idea, or at the very least something to be discussed. I know entertaining the crowd is of moderate importance, but if the people who ride no longer compete because of simple things like run times etc... there's not much point in talking about whether or not the "crowd" enjoyed Chase.
I'd rather have AIDS than buy another Nankai.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »
I really have no business commenting on the contest...hell, I've never entered a contest in my 24 years of riding...never was my "thing".  I do want to say that I have been fortunate to meet Team Pralex when they were down in ATX to ride with us...and they all seemed nice enough guys.  I don't think Alex had the intention of being an a$$hole...he was just giving constructive criticism, and he was basically apologizing in advance, because he knew it would be a touchy subject.  I really do think he appreciates everything that was done, he just wanted to throw out some ideas about how to "improve" the contest...at least in his opinion.  Nothing wrong with that.  

Also, I really believe that the general public just isn't into flat.  People will hate me for saying it...but seriously, it just doesn't look that cool to the general public.  People that are into it are a rare breed.  Most people want to see the "death defying stunts"...which is why the general public wants to see backflips...not multiple whiplashes(which are ten times as hard to do).  You can throw in some energetic music and a crazy announcer...but I really don't think it will help to much.  Hell, I saw flatland when it was in the circus...and even dancing bears and elephants standing on their heads couldn't spice it up.  I don't know...I just don't ever see flat being of interest to the general public.  

I want to see Chase ride...music or not!  The guys intensity is enough to drowned out any music if you ask me.  I think a demo without all the distractions would be good.  It shows the true essence of flatland...not just another circus freak show.  That's what park riders are for.  I think flatland is more of a purist thing.

No offense to park riders...I ride everything.
"A puppet no more!"

Prasheel

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »

Have I invoked the wrath of the entire "team Pralex" by poking back a little? If so, maybe now you know a little about how it feels to be on this end of things. It's a real bummer to spend a weekend 'giving back' only to get an earful of inconsiderate meanness.

What end of things?  You keep talking as if I'm ripping on someone, which I'm not. (which I stated over and over I did not want to come off as).  And as for how it feels, Bamalama parades around this forum talking sh*t about me, and I don't even know who he is.  Handspin posted a huge thing in this thread ripping me apart then deleted it for some reason?  I could care less because I don't know these guys, yours legitimately sounded like a personal attack on me.

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »
WOW! Since when are idea's and thoughts massed from a group of rider's percieved as attacks? Mr.Fenton i dont know you, or doubt that you and Chase worked your asses off..JUST to make sure everything went down smoothily. But i dont believe Alex was attacking you or the CFO...Think more along the lines of having "home" court in any particular sport, you'll almost always hold it to a higher standard.
So take nothing as an attack on u fella's hard effort..Theres always gripes, and Txt conversations are always percieved in rather weird ways,no matter the true feeling behind it. So as an organiser/promoter/Respected voice in the flatland community..dont take anything to the personal level as to "Scow" up any potential...qualms.

< Was not at CFO-hopefully will see team Pralex at Jomopro.

BobD

TJ Perry

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 02:13:26 PM »

I want to see Chase ride...music or not!  The guys intensity is enough to drowned out any music if you ask me.  I think a demo without all the distractions would be good.  It shows the true essence of flatland...not just another circus freak show.  That's what park riders are for.  I think flatland is more of a purist thing.

This attitude will doom flatland to the underground pretty much forever. Too anyone outside of the riding world the name Chase Gouin doesn't mean sh*t. If you want people to see "the true intensity" of flatland to people as opposed to a guy having fun doing bike tricks then you will turn people off to the sport. Why? Because most riders are not super intense. Most people just go out on their bikes and enjoy themselves. The whole point of any show is to hype up people on our sport. Turning it into some bizarre art show where people either have to love it or leave it, and we don't do anything to court outsiders is just stupid and counter productive.

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 02:58:33 PM »
This is a very simple fix. I have the answer for you - VOODOO JAM.
Website coming soon.
www.theflatlandvoodoojam.com

No, hahaha,  but a good idea is to have a Flatlander get involved in the process of the this contest. Someone should help it along and volunteer their time to the event and growing Flatland at this event. Its not going to be handed to us we have to go get it and make it what it needs to be.

SOB

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:10:33 PM by Scott O »
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »
Just glad to see the CFOBMX back on track, considering what little they work with. So they'll do their improvements next year, you all had a good time right?
If you want certain things to change then you have work ahead and help, sometimes even make a decision to go behind the scenes and even compete, some of you are young, you encompass the energy to do both.

I enjoyed Chase's Demo, the first time I got to See It at the bike show, I like the pin drop effect, that's him, you have to appreciate the person for who they are, that is what is Flatland. If anything I hope that is the most important thing I've learned during the years I've known you all and this ART.

I hope the CFOBMX continue to do what they feel is right and not everything has to redbull dozed, cookie cut. Slow and steady will ground things out and create a lasting effect...N

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:05:36 PM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »
Man, I'm not sure I even want to get into any of this......

First off, I had a good time and appreciate the efforts everyone made to have the contest.

The floor was very slick, but I've just learned to accept that all contests these days have slick floors. Indy was slick, ATL jam was slick, voodoo was slick, this was slick, jomopro looks slick - not the greatest for people who like to spin like me, but I think the most important thing is practice time. I appreciate the fact that we have friday to get used to the floor.

I know it has nothing to do with the CFO, but paying $12 to park each day sucks. That's 36 to park plus entre fee....

I enjoyed watching Chase ride, maybe the demo should have a couple of people riding taking turns.

Again, not sure if its anything to do with CFO, but having flat and street running at the same time is probably not the best. Just observation.

I like the 3min runs, I actually was running out of time. It gives you time to recover too. That being said, I don't care if it's battle or not, I just don't like the 1min runs where you have time to do two tricks and if you miss one, your done. Personal opinion though.

I like the different judging criteria, but I think variety means front and backwheel tricks. Sorry I had to poke at that just a little.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:12:46 PM by bhuffman »
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline Matthias Dandois

• Forkglider
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
OLD SCHOOL THINKING PEOPLE ARE KILLING MODERN FLATLAND...
Peace out

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »
OLD SCHOOL THINKING PEOPLE ARE KILLING MODERN FLATLAND...
Peace out

Yessir!